Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ortho visit that has me steaming mad! What do you think?

On 2/10/2015 depglass said:

The key is "I really liked the doctor." His personality really is no indication of his skills. I'm thinking you got top care. The results of the injection will help you make the final judgment.

There are reasons to like a doctor other than personality.

I happen to like my doctors too. Not because of their scintillating party conversation, but because of their knowledge, intelligence, obvious skill, experience, ability to effectively communicate, and many other reasons.

A good personality is certainly nice, but the OP never gave any indication that personality is what she was referring to, and I'm willing to be that she was not.

Respected Contributor

My son is a PA. He went to a well-known university for his Bachelor's degree. Did volunteer hours. He graduated with a double major (one of which was Biology)and credits well beyond the required total, with honors, in 4 years. He went on to PA school. He spent time in the classroom taking classes and then on to rotations in several different healthcare settings which included surgery, ER, and critical care. He graduated in the top 10% of his class and passed the certification test.

Now, he TRAINS fellows who come to critical care to learn that specialty. When these doctors begin their fellowship, he's more knowledgeable than they are.

Honored Contributor

I would like to point out here - if it has not already been said - that a resident IS a licensed doctor who is studying a specialty but has completed med school and his internship and has obtained his license.

Also 9 times out of 10 your doctor does not read your x rays - he only reads a report from the radiologist about your x ray. So I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to read you a report. Usually the radiologist puts their suggestions for continued care right on the report Example - "joint found to have diminished space to 5mm on tibia and fibula sides, recommend trying cortisone injection."

Trusted Contributor

On 2/10/2015 ChynnaBlue said:
On 2/7/2015 ellaphant said:

While PAs are well trained, I wold not want a diagnosis given to me by a PA. Sorry, that's just me. A shot is one thing, but not the diagnosis.

I had a surgical procedure by my gynecologist. I saw him walk by my prep room, he never said good morning, never stopped in to see me before. Following the procedure after I woke, a resident came in to tell me all was fine. I was furious. I sent the doctor a letter and had my records transferred to a new doctor.

I think it depends on the diagnosis. It was a knee that needed a cortisone shot, not cancer. (I've had cortisone injections in both my knees for bursitis.) I would expect that if the diagnosis had been something more serious, the doctor would have gotten involved.

Whenever a doctor comes to visit you in the hospital, that doctor bills you. Unless there was some kind of a complication, I would be happy to have a resident let me know all was well.

My friend found out that a biopsy came back positive for cancer because the receptionist of an oncologist she'd never spoken to before called her to schedule her first appointment. The doctor she saw to remove a cyst, the doctor who sent the sample for the biopsy, never contacted her to tell her that she had cancer, never called in into the office to tell her, never told her he was referring her to an oncologist.

So you two got a shot from a PA and an "all clear" from a resident and you're outraged. Big deal. I hope your doctors were spending the time on people with more serious problems.

ChynnaBlue, you said it all. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}