Honored Contributor

Much to my surprise, at my monthly Hematology visit, I learn my Ferritin number is low, thus another 2 visits to hospital for Iron Infusions. Really did not expect this because I have been, and am still feeling absolutely great.

Told my wife that is good as I feel during my hard workouts, which now include my ice skating, no way would I expect to need these Infusions. I check all my vitals before/during, and after all my workouts, and nary a sign that points to even an iota of body physical fatigue.

More shocked than anything because in the past(this will be #35 Infusion) fatigue usually was when I suspected my Ferritin number to be well below my low, which is 30. Used to get the Iron in 1 visit with 500ml, but after I went into Anaphylactic Shock during one of them, they cut this to 250ml in 2 sessions 1 week apart. They also changed the type of Iron given me(think they said there are 5 different types), so far no problems the last 4 Infusions.

From getting to the hospital and having this procedure it can take anywhere from 4-6 hours, has a few that took 8 hours. They do several preliminary tests before that start the full dosage amount, and the rate of the IV drip varies, I am guessing in coordination with the Blood Pressure Readings and Oxygen Saturation numbers, not 100% sure of this part.

Sooo! skating today in a couple hours and bright an early tomorrow morning, off I go to get the the IV poke and we're off and running. Will be nice to see my nurse friends as it's been longer than usual, for me anyways. Always have some new stories to tell them, and them to me.

Just some info that may be of some use to someone that may need this procedure. It is a very simple procedure, it just takes a good amount of time out of one's day. Low risk for the large majority, and unless an IV poke is a problem for some, a pretty painless but time consuming procedure.

The end result is most feel much better after, especially if they were feeling fatigued before getting this diagnosis and procedure.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Good luck to you with the procedure!  Sounds like you have a good understanding of it!  I am sure that helps!!  Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

awww,john,I'm sorry Smiley Sad  did you mention to your Doc about how good you feel  and ask if there could be some mistake in the readings?

Respected Contributor

Good Luck to you!

I too have ferritin issues. My low has been 7. I now have an md that cares more about how I'm feeling than the number. He has given infusions when I've been at 37 and said even at 50 it would be fine. Unlike you I have very uncomfortable symptoms. 

I get the infusion in 2 doses 750ml of Injectifer 2 weeks apart in the md's office, it takes 40 minutes.

I was originally on Venifer. That took longer and 5 weeks of infusions.

I have had about 17 infusions.  Now I'm needing them every 3-4 months, originally every 6 months.

Love my md and the Injectifer, it has made a huge difference in my life.

Every body is unique, don't know if this could work for you. I am weighed, bp checked,blood taken and continually monitored by RNs through each infusion. Many are receiving chemo at the same place.

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck, John.  I must be living under a rock, because I have never heard of Ferritin.  Glad that you are feeling great and you are able to continue working out.  I am sure that you have told your doctor about your hard workouts.  Stay well.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

You have definitely educated me John.  I just assumed if you had low iron readings, you just needed to take some iron supplements.  Had no idea a hospital visit could be needed for an IV infusion.

I guess I feel happy/sad for you.  Happy that, other than a very time consuming procedure, it sounds pretty straight forward. Sad that you've needed so many over the years.

Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

@IMW- so glad to see your comment about everyone and every body being slightly different. 

My new endocrinologist is also concerned about how my numbers are AND how I feel. She's great!

@hckynut- Always an inspiration!

Respected Contributor

Keep up the good work, @hckynut.  

These old bods need constant tuneups, I guess.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone, all went well today. I was in at 8am out a little after 2pm. Same time next Tuesday for the other 250ml Infusion. Hopefully it is the typical smooth sailing as 99.9% of my many others have been.

I will see if it gets my Oxygen Saturation percentage numbers back up to the 96-98% range while doing my hard skating intervals. Can't really say I feel better, because with me feeling "great" already, that's the closest word to how I feel that I know about. Just seeing if my Saturation numbers go up, not a big thing, just interesting for me to log.

Thanks again everyone,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Thank you again everyone. Tomorrow will be round #2, and hopefully the last for at least a few months. Hematologist will check Ferritin again in 3 months. I am thinking it will be another 6 hour visit with my many years long hospital staff friends. I anticipate a problem free Infusion.

Best to all of you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)