Respected Contributor

Re: OTC Non habbit forming sleep aids?

On 10/28/2014 Peaches McPhee said:

Another vote for Melatonin. It does not work 100% of the time for me, but is still a big big help. Start with the 3 dosage.

Not habit forming, at least for me. I seemed to have cycled through my insomnia, luckily.

I was told by my Dr that most use Melatonin wrong - they take it when they need to sleep and actually you are suppose to day it nightly (you can even take it in the morning she said) and it's something that builds up in your system and boost your serotonin levels over time to help you sleep. So, I think if you were to take it every single night, you would notice more of a diff. Just thought I would mention that, you can google it, I have and found this info. to be helpful.

Respected Contributor

I have a prescription - it was an antihistamine I got prescribed for some nasty spider bites a few years back - "hydroxyzine" and I noticed I slept REALLY good when I was taking it. When I started having such a hard time sleeping that it interfered with my life I went back and told her and she gave it to me. I probably take it 3x a week. I'm very loathe to take pills to "fix me" because of my past and being in recovery, but I'm getting pretty good at monitoring my sleep and taking my aid when it's needed.

Honored Contributor

On 10/28/2014 Dusty1 said:

My doctor told me to take OTC sleep aids. She said that they typically have fewer side effects than medication that she could prescribe, so I have been using Sam's Club Simply Rigth Sleep Aid (Diphenhydramine HCI 50 mg-2 bottles of 96 soft gels for $8.98). They let me sleep. I don't feel groggy during the day & they are inexpensive.

This ingredient is Benadryl.

Honored Contributor

Tylenol or Advil PM is mixed with Benadryl too.

Trusted Contributor

If you take a generic allergy medication equivalent to Benadryl and one or two acetaminophen tablets, you are taking the same ingredients as "Tylenol PM" for a lot less money.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/28/2014 Peaches McPhee said:

Another vote for Melatonin. It does not work 100% of the time for me, but is still a big big help. Start with the 3 dosage.

Not habit forming, at least for me. I seemed to have cycled through my insomnia, luckily.

Melatonin gave me HORRIBLE nightmares. I didn't know it can be a side effect until I Googled it after having MANY graphic bad dreams.

Contributor

I recently started taking Magnesium (either citrate or glycinate) as a sleep aid and it works WONDERS. You can google it and get plenty of informationt. I'm 48 and dealing with sleep issues that are typical in perimenopause. If I wake up at some point in the night there is no getting back to sleep. Hope you find something that works.

Honored Contributor

If you start melatonin, start with a 1mg dose. It's a sleep regulator, not a sleeping pill. But it can really help. Take it 60-90 minutes before you want to be asleep. You should notice a difference within a couple of weeks.

1mg melatonin sure helped me! I hadn't slept all night in 4-5 years. I could fall asleep but would wake up a couple of hours later and be up for way too long. I've been taking 1mg for about 6 months now and I sleep all night.

Fyi, My dr told me that 1mg is the max anyone should take.

I don't take any of the melatonin combos...I take plain old melatonin from GNC. It can be difficult to find 1mg but GNC sells it.

Respected Contributor

Calms Forte from the supermarket. Herbal, non-toxic, non-habit forming.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

On 10/29/2014 JeanM17 said:

I recently started taking Magnesium (either citrate or glycinate) as a sleep aid and it works WONDERS. You can google it and get plenty of informationt. I'm 48 and dealing with sleep issues that are typical in perimenopause. If I wake up at some point in the night there is no getting back to sleep. {#emotions_dlg.sad} Hope you find something that works.

I read somewhere that Calcium with Magnesium is also good. I know this sounds weird, but if I cook some oatmeal as a "midnight snack" and mix about a 1/4 cup of milk in it, I sleep like a baby.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."