Trusted Contributor

Re: OTC Non habbit forming sleep aids?

On 10/29/2014 turtle52 said:
On 10/28/2014 Peaches McPhee said:

Another vote for Melatonin. It does not work 100% of the time for me, but is still a big big help. Start with the 3 dosage.

Not habit forming, at least for me. I seemed to have cycled through my insomnia, luckily.

Melatonin gave me HORRIBLE nightmares. I didn't know it can be a side effect until I Googled it after having MANY graphic bad dreams.

People think that Melatonin is "natural" and harmless. Like any medication it has side effects for some. It gave me severe headaches.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

I really like Targets Up version of Unisom. I don't take them every night.
Esteemed Contributor

Melatonin sometimes causes dreams. It does to me. I take Benadryl.

Super Contributor

I take a half-tablet of Kirkland SLEEP AID (Doxylamine Succinate Tablets 25 mg) which I purchase at Costco. They are also available in a box of 32 tablets for about $4.00 at Walmart. I take the half tablet before going to bed and then read for about 20 minutes and drift off to sleep. My doctor has given the OK for these, and I would recommend them without hesitation!

In Sunny AZ
Honored Contributor

On 10/28/2014 Sandgirl said:
On 10/28/2014 Peaches McPhee said:

Another vote for Melatonin. It does not work 100% of the time for me, but is still a big big help. Start with the 3 dosage.

Not habit forming, at least for me. I seemed to have cycled through my insomnia, luckily.

I was told by my Dr that most use Melatonin wrong - they take it when they need to sleep and actually you are suppose to day it nightly (you can even take it in the morning she said) and it's something that builds up in your system and boost your serotonin levels over time to help you sleep. So, I think if you were to take it every single night, you would notice more of a diff. Just thought I would mention that, you can google it, I have and found this info. to be helpful.

sandgirl

You are correct. It may take a while to work. Melatonin, because it works with serotonin levels, can in certain doses effect bi polar people. I have a friend who is bi polar on meds, and her Doctor told her that. She was taking it for a while and it effected her "upswing"

Honored Contributor

Benadryl works for some as a sleep aid, but that too if taken nightly over a period of time looses effectiveness. It probably is more effective to use a couple nights, lay off a while then go back.

I had to take Benydryl 2 times daily (50mg) for hives I had for 2 months caused by Collagen injection in the lips (this is another story) hahah. This was before the gell fillers they have now. Anyway, I could hardly stay awake the first week after taking them, and I was groggy all day. Just as I would perk up, it was time to take them again. However, after a week it no longer effected me. By the 3rd week, I didn't feel tired at all.

Honored Contributor

On 10/28/2014 terrier3 said:

Exercise!

..it's not that simple.

I have used the Zquill recently and it works for me. I only need to take one gel cap and I don't wake up groggy.

Honored Contributor

I JUST started a new process on Monday. I'm taking Prempro in the morning an hour after my thyroid Meds. Lately, I've been not sleeping in the evening, so my doctor suggested taking my Prempro later in the day.

It was wearing off in the wee hrs & the 'warm' (not full hot flash) was awaking me. I've had 2 good night's sleep so far...and the experiment will continue tonight! I think I might be on to something!

Tyroid issues are different for everyone, but there's such a fine line between thyroid, estrogen, hormones, etc...they're all connected. Long story short, maybe test your thyroid levels...and if you do take estrogen, try alternating the time.

Trusted Contributor

Go to Whole Foods and get ""Pillow Potion."" You spray it on your pillow; it's a mixture of lavender and chamomile.

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Honored Contributor

On 10/28/2014 terrier3 said:

Exercise!

I get 10 times more exercise now than I got in the last 30 years, and my sleep problems are more severe. I think unrelated one word answers to complex problems are a little unkind, but of course that's partly because I didn't sleep well last night. Smiley Happy