Regular Contributor

I have been a member of our local Curves for 10 1/2 years. They are going to be closing at the end of the month, so I need another place to go and exercise. Has anybody here ever used Planet Fitness and if so what is your opinion, experience with them. TIA, Susie

Valued Contributor

My doctor goes to Planet Fitness, and she loves it. She told me they have a grunt alarm. When someone gets a little too loud while weightlifting and starts to make "caveman" sounds an alarm goes off!!! I think that is so funny! Not sure if they all have that feature, but it's great.

I go to a gym with a lot of men. I've been going at night with my son, and boy oh boy, do you hear a lot of grunting. I wish we could get a "grunt alarm."

Honored Contributor

Remember their commercials?? Funny. Just remember to visit during the time you plan to go...and maybe get a 2-week pass.

Regular Contributor
While i do not work out at a planet fitness, around here where i live these gyms have a reputation of being a frou frou establishment...non serious users hang out there. There are no classes for group exercises and equipment and attendance is for "entry level" exercisers. I attend a working class gym where bodybuilders work out alongside beginners. Practical and effective...grunting is not discouraged and people are allowed to sweat..lol
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a college nearby? I like my rec center experience at the college. All ages. Occasionally the sports teams work out together but you just figure out when. The only grunting I hear is with the college sports guys. Lots of classes and trainers, etc.,

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Contributor
I joined on 4/30 and have been going at least 4 times a week since then. You can pay $10 a month to use all the equipment or pay $20 a month to use the equipment plus have access to tanning beds, red light therapy room, massage chairs or the hydro massage bed. I highly recommend the bed. It's heaven. I am 63 and have COPD so I am not looking for aerobic classes. I go at my own pace and find that I feel much better since going. I don't pay much attention to what is going on (grunting, etc). I walk on the treadmill and have my set routine with the machines and I usually have headphones on with my iPod. I enjoy it and feel it's worth it for me.
Respected Contributor

Give Jazzercise a try......it's a lot of fun and you get a great workout......you're encouraged to just do what you're able to do......no need to try and keep up with your neighbor and it's a good way to make new friends and do it all to great music.

Respected Contributor

I joined PF last year after I checked out Curves. For $10 a month it's a steal. The PF I go to has a whole separate section with the same Curves equipment and program. They have plenty of treadmills and bikes and I never have to wait. They have weights and all the other equipment that I can use. The only issue I have is that if you want one on one with a trainer you have to make an appointment and it may not be at a convenient time. I highly recommend you check them out.

Valued Contributor
Yes, I've been a member for probably 3 years now. I prefer to exercise outside, but the membership ($10/month) is so inexpensive that it's nice to have a back up plan.
Valued Contributor
On 11/12/2014 hulagirl said:

Give Jazzercise a try......it's a lot of fun and you get a great workout......you're encouraged to just do what you're able to do......no need to try and keep up with your neighbor and it's a good way to make new friends and do it all to great music.

Jazzercise is a blast! I miss it!!