Honored Contributor

Been awhile since I started a thread here so!! My wife and I both had Iron Infusions last Monday. She gets her full dose in 1 visit. To make that even better, they came up with a way to finish here's in 10 minutes. Now the prep still takes over an hour. She finished and went home. Me?

Since my battle with Anaphylactic Shock a couple years ago, right at the end of my infusion! I now get only half(1/2) a dose at a time. Last week was over 6 hours. So tomorrow, in the very early morning, I go in for dose #2. Same deal, usually 6-8 hours depending on how long the pre-procedure takes. That seems to vary from 1 hour to almost 2 at times.

My Hematologist also changed the type of iron infused. I had no idea, but I believe he said there are 5 different types of iron! Who knew? Not me that's for sure.

Now my wife just left a couple hours ago for a 7+ day In-home Dog Sitting Job, so she is free and clear from this hospital stay. She is sitting for my Spinal Surgeon friend and his wife. Think they are heading for the Bahamas this time.

That's my nothing really post to remind some that yes, I still like to ramble and ramble and!  This is a pretty simple and straightforward procedure and I'm thinking this is #33 or 34. No worries now. And if you got this far? WOW

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nothing Really

[ Edited ]

Glad to see you check in. I had those iron infusions for years. I always got so sick afterwards. Doctor said side effect outweighs my stomach ache. 🤣Sending good vibes your way. ✌️❤️

Honored Contributor

Wow, several hours,  Cat LOLthat's a long time!!

You reminded me of when I gave blood several years back and my hemocrit number was quite high.  The technician asked me what I ate since I had such a high number.  I told her "I chew nails".

Good wishes for tomorrow's infusion.  I trust they treat you well!

Honored Contributor

I had no idea infusions took so long...I hope you are able to keep youself occupied during the procedure!

Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

Always enjoy your posts!  Hope you are able to read, text, or nap during your infusions.  How often do you have them?

I have IVIG infusions every 7 weeks.  The prep is about an hour, I get ringers prior to the IVIG, which is supposed to lessen the shock to my system.  Then the infusion takes @ 4.5 hours, one day, repeat the next day.

I read, or sleep 💤, sleep is good.

Good to hear you and Cindy are well.  Hope the kitties are also.  It is raining kitties here, we had two sweet, strangers so far this summer.  Good fortune smiled on them, we were able to find good homes for both of them!  😃

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

Glad to hear that you, Cindy and the kitties are doing well!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I was wondering how you were and what you were doing.  Heat wave?

Esteemed Contributor

Hello @hckynut !  So glad that these procedures are working well for you.  Wish you, Cindy, and the kitties a good summer.

Honored Contributor

The title of your post made me wonder. It all sounds like something to me. So far my week was Hot/Storms/Clean Up Yard.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut , well hello trooper!  What I like most about you John is your attitude.  A lot of people could be challenged to have a good day in your circumstances from time to time but I have never heard you complain about your situation.  It is always ‘how do I get up and at it again’.  It is a great outlook to have and I am sure it has served you well.

We are having a quiet day here in Nova Scotia, in the middle of a big heat wave and thunder and lightening storms this afternoon, along with some power outages.  Tomorrow, back to some yard projects that always seem to keep us busy over the summer.

Stay active and positive John.  It is nice to see you posting.  LM