Esteemed Contributor

I just received a call, asking for me, from an unknown caller.  I told her that I was not home.  The only reason that I answered was that when some of our local vendors call here, they also come up as unknown caller on our phone and it has caused some problems and delays.  Anyway, the woman had a heavy accent and knew that I had back and knee issues.  I asked for a phone number so that the call could be returned and she immediately hung up on me.  This type of call is new to me and I consider it a scam.  You might not.  Just be aware.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Daily we get medicare scam calls on the cells and landline.  They change the last four digits of the number they are calling from, but I still block the number every time they call,  I never pick up a number that I don't recognize anymore.

Trusted Contributor

I just saw a commercial that said Medicare will never call you unless you ask them to.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl

"The only reason that I answered was that when some of our local vendors call here, they also come up as unknown caller on our phone and it has caused some problems and delays."

That really is no excuse unless you do not have an answering machine and/or voice mail.  Just saying.......

Once you pick up, you are now labled as a "live one."  Your # will be (if not already) sold all over the "Dark Web."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac, it is easy to pass judgement, but I had an issue of not answering and it took much longer than necessary to get a chair fixed because I did not answer the phone.  My post was only to alert those who had not already known about this.  Apparently, many already do, but this was new to me.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

when someone calls me and i do not know the number or if it is a scam call, i just tell them not to call again and if they do, then  i really chew them out with some very choice cuss words. it has cut way down on the number of calls that i get from scammers

Esteemed Contributor

I just got a letter in the mail asking me for all my personal info if I had Medicare!!!!  Of course the form went into the shredder!!  Can't imagine anyone returning that form with all the personal info they asked for...  and it was in Spanish!!  And yes, I speak Spanish and French and English and some Italian, but really?????

Honored Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

I just saw a commercial that said Medicare will never call you unless you ask them to.

@Equuleus

Yet I receive calls from 1-800-Medicare every day. They need to put a stop to this number. They must be spoofing it to show this number however they do that. I can see some Elderly falling for a scam when they see this number.

Honored Contributor

Re: New Medicare Scam!

[ Edited ]

I always mention not to pick up the phone when these discussions arise.   I've posted this so many times, I thought everyone must have read why this is critical.

Inevitably, someone always thinks that saying a smart answer or blowing a horn is justice,  wrong,,,,little do they realize they played right into the scammers' hands,  Their number will now be sold to other scammers because now it is known that someone picks up at this household,  The scammers could care less what you say, they're happy that you answered no matter what language you use.

We all make mistakes and there are always exceptions.  Sad that this is a reality but please just protect yourself when possible.  I don't react, just block the call and go on about my business.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Mz iMac, it is easy to pass judgement, but I had an issue of not answering and it took much longer than necessary to get a chair fixed because I did not answer the phone.  My post was only to alert those who had not already known about this.  Apparently, many already do, but this was new to me.  

@SXMGirl

It never hurts to warn others, who may not be aware of 'new' scams.

I just turned 65 (Medicare eligible) and the calls trying to sell me something have been relentless!

Thank goodness for my call blocker!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.