Honored Contributor

I have severe arthritis in my back that causes me pain every day.  I am going to have physical therapy starting next week and then will have an anesthetic nerve block in about six weeks.  That will numb the area for a couple of hours, and if the pain goes away in that area then they will eventuallly burn the nerve with a needle to get rid of the pain.  The doctor says this will last for about a year and then they can do it again.  They can only do two areas at a time, but hopefully can do more of the areas where I have pain.  It's a long drawn out process.  Medicare requires them to do the nerve block twice before burning the nerve.  I'm sure each time will be very painful. 

Has anyone had this done?  Has it helped?  How long has it lasted?  I've talked with the doctor and done research on the internet but would  like to hear from anyone who has had this done.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Nerve Block For Back Pain

@NickNack  My SO had this done and both times the nerve block worked so they did the procedure and it did nothing for him but I know 3 people who had really good results and it lasted a little over a year for one, and 11 months for another and about a year for the third.  My SO does have several other issues with his back on top of the arthritis, though.

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for your reply @Pook .  I'm sorry it didn't work for your SO.  It's encouraging that it worked for others that you know.  I have hopes it will work for me.  This pain really impacts what I'm able to do on a daily basis.

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Steroid injections never worked for me unfortunately.  I also didn't qualify for an ablation.  I just have to rely on pain medication.

Honored Contributor

You won't feel any pain from either the procedure.  I had nerve blocks for my lumber spine ever 12 weeks for about 2 years.  They worked well for me.  You just feel a "pinch" when they put the anesthic in, it's lasts about 3 seconds and then you are numb.  You feel nothing when they do the actual nerve block.  The burning procedure is called Radiofrequency Ablation.  That procedure burns the nerves that cause the pain, I did not have that but I work for a hospital and I see a lot of it.  You won't feel any pain from that procedure either.  I didn't have the ablation because the blocks worked for me but I was told that if the blocks worked for me (they don't for some people) then the ablation would have an 80% chance of working.  Which is very high.  Good luck, I know how painful and life limiting back pain can be.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

My Dad had Radial Ablation for a nerve that was misfiring in his heart.  I know this is not what you are asking, but it did work, and he is doing well.

I am going next week to explore having it done in my L. knee.  At this point, I am dubious that I will proceed, due to other health issues.

Hoping for a positive outcome for you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree   That's a huge relief that the procedures won't be painful!  Thank you for letting me know that.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Drythe .  If you decide to have it done in your knee I hope it works for you.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Hello @NickNack ,

The only type of injections I had in my damaged back were Caudal Blocks. These were done to see if they might keep me from having a 2nd back surgery. They didn't work well enough to suit my active lifestyle, so I opted for surgery to move my ruptured L-3 disc.

The pain I had prior to the surgery was worse than any of the post OP surgery, that was my experiences. Never had any of the things you've mentioned, but I do have arthritis is my spine around the areas my 3 lumbar discs were removed.

With aggressive rehab, both with a Physical Therapist  and my at home work, I completely regained my strength and flexibility in all of my back. I work every day on keeping my Core Muscles(abs) strong, and that includes a whole lot of stretching all of my rear side muscles/tendons and ligaments. I am talking about hamstring/calf/Achilles, and including  my feet.

My spine is as flexible now as it was many decades ago, pre surgery. Can't specifically address your questions, so I thought reading my successful spinal issues might give you a little insight involving the spine, and spinal arthritis.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing your experience @hckynut .  I'm having eight physical therapy sessions starting Monday.  I also have scoliosis, which no one had told me about before my recent x-rays.  The surgeon said the PT could help prevent it from getting any worse as well as helping my back.  I do plan to keep it up on my own.

-Henry David Thoreau