Honored Contributor

@Melvin-QVC wrote:
This post has been removed by QVC - live link that leads to other retailers.

Melvin, was this my post?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need reflux advice

[ Edited ]

I had to stop taking Prilosec because I was having reactions to it - was never on it long term — just took for two weeks whenever my reflux was really bad. I find that if I drink a bunch of water before I go to bed it seems to keep me from having reflux while I sleep. I think it dilutes the stomach acid — that’s just my theory. If I wake up and have burning pain, I drink water and it settles down. I always have a water bottle by my bed. 

I hope you find find something to help with your reflux. 

Valued Contributor

I have added a small serving of sauerkraut to my daily diet. I think other fermented food might be as effective, though. I also try to eat some ginger every day. This mostly keeps the reflux and acid issues at bay. If I need to, I add a 1/2 t of baking soda in water and famotidine about once a week. I stay away from fried foods, sugar. 

I used to take Prilosec but learned about anticholinergics and wanted a safer solution. Famotidine is a bit more inconvenient as it does not last a long but really helps if I eat something that is a problem. 

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox - if you scroll down a couple of threads there is one titled Acid Reflux Diet that @lolakimono started. Maybe this information will help.

Respected Contributor

Does anyone ever fully control reflux by diet or lifestyle changes?

When you read the individual responses they are all over place. I have read the books, listened to the experiences of others and still have bouts of discomfort.

I have tried: Eliminating the dirty dozen (from the FodMap Plan),Drinking Alkaline water, Aloe water, Gaviscon A(from Amazon UK has no aluminum), Alkaseltzer Gold(has no aspirin),Lessman Digest Assure, Probiotics, no food after 5pm, elevate bed, wedge pillow, occassional Tums

Honored Contributor

Re: Need reflux advice

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

Does anyone ever fully control reflux by diet or lifestyle changes?

Hello there @granddi 

As for your question? Beats me, and my many Endoscopies show I have it, but to this day, I have never experienced a symptom. Now I have been on Nexium for years, but all the years prior to my 1st Endoscopy, I was not?

Had my 1st Endo, as I stated in a couple other posts, and was Asymptomatic. I had because my brother-in-law was suffering from Esophageal Cancer, and told me I would be wise to have one. No symptoms, but 4 problems found, the dangerous one that is caller Barrett's Esophagus.

I also have had 6 Sleep Studies, for different Diagnostic reasons, with GERD being 1 of them. Results? Of the six, 3 said I had GERD, 3 said I did not.

From the 1st being diagnosed with the Barrett's Esophagus, I was immediately put on Nexium, been on it ever since. I honestly believe, that had I not been sleeping for many years, prior to my 1st Endo, in a recliner(because of my back surgeries), I would probably had symptoms of GERD. In my mind, the several recliners I have slept in for about 30+ years now, were THE REASON that I had never had any symptom of Gastric Reflux.

Does this mean sleeping in a deeply reclined chair will work for everyone? Beats me, but if it is something a long time sufferer of GERD has not tried?

hckynut

hckynut(john)