Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2015!!!!

There are rumors out there of a videotape showing Dez Bryant assaulting someone that reportedly is more intense than the Ray Rice video. Those with the video are apparently trying to sell it to the highest bidder and have let some people see selected still frames from the video. I'm not sure how much I believe any of this, but we'll see what comes out. It could seriously complicate the Cowboys plans.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I heard about the Dez Bryant video. I'm not sure what to think; will wait for more evidence and see what happens with this story.

I'll be needing a notebook or something to keep up with all the players being cut because of salary cap issues. It's kind of like musical chairs to see who will end up with other teams. So far, I haven't heard a thing on what is happening to Trent Richardson. I thought that he would be one of the first to be released. It's still not clear what Reggie Wayne will do. Even if he returns, I'm not sure how effective he would be. I've heard that he still might have issues because of his injury.

Former NFL player, Michael Sam, will be a contestant on "Dancing with the Stars." I don't watch that program , but I saw the news on the internet. His NFL career didn't work out, so maybe this will. A lot of football players end up on that show. They do quite well, also.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Yeah, lots and lots of players get cut at this time of year. Reggie Bush, AJ Hawk, Mathias Kiwanuka, and others have all been cut free recently. Teams don't have a lot of patience anymore. They'll sign a guy to a big contract, give him a year or two and then cut him loose if he's not performing at the level they want. Reggie Bush could be a smart pickup for the right team. (If the Saints had any cap space he could be big for them as a Darren Sproles replacement.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Dez story goes back to 2011. Of course he claims to be innocent. Get the popcorn ready.....here we go.

Respected Contributor

So sad to lose Reggie Bush. Maybe it will help us resign Suh and Fairley. Joice Bell has shown promise and he is a hometown boy. Not sure what Mayhew and Caldwell have in mind

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

DE Ricky Jean Francois signed a three year deal with the Washington Redskins. That was a good pick up by them. Francois, while not a pro bowler, is a solid player, has had no issues while with the Colts, and will provide the defensive help that Washington needs. Also, he has ties with the GM, which could be in his favor. The main reason Francois was cut by Indy is to save money for the salary cap.

The Colts re-signed Matt Hasselbeck to a one year deal. That wasn't any surprise; almost everyone expected him to stay with the team.

Adrian Peterson is on the NFL's exempt list, even though he's been reinstated. That's going to be drawn out awhile.

It's almost March, so the free agency deadline is fast approaching. I expect even more changes coming to various teams.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The Marcus Mariota to the Eagles storyline seems to be getting some more validity. Pretty much everything Nick Foles related is now on sale from the Eagles official store. It's an odd time for a big sale on items featuring your supposed starting QB.

If Mariota does come here, then it helps to explain a lot of the personnel moves that Chip's made over the last few years. He's put quite a few Oregon players on the roster and seemingly favored them over some equally, maybe slightly more, talented players from other schools. By stacking the roster with true believers in Mariota he's avoiding the issue of the rookie having to prove himself to the vets. Mariota will have a number of true believers already in place who can vouch for him. There's Kenjon Barner, the running back, Josh Huff, Will Murphy and Jeff Maehl as wide receivers, Taylor Hart, Wade Keliikipi, Casey Matthews and Brandon Bair on defense. If Mariota comes here, then he won't have as hard a time winning over the team as he's got some of his guys already here. It's a clever move if that's what Chip's done. He's got guys who have proven themselves to their teammates already, in position to vouch for the rookie QB. It would be an easier transition for Mariota to come in to a team with lots of players he knows and a system he's familiar with.

Is Chip Kelly that big of a genius to set this all up? Can he move up high enough in the draft to get Mariota? These next two months will be pretty darn interesting to watch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2015 teganslaw said:

DE Ricky Jean Francois signed a three year deal with the Washington Redskins. That was a good pick up by them. Francois, while not a pro bowler, is a solid player, has had no issues while with the Colts, and will provide the defensive help that Washington needs. Also, he has ties with the GM, which could be in his favor. The main reason Francois was cut by Indy is to save money for the salary cap.

The Colts re-signed Matt Hasselbeck to a one year deal. That wasn't any surprise; almost everyone expected him to stay with the team.

Adrian Peterson is on the NFL's exempt list, even though he's been reinstated. That's going to be drawn out awhile.

It's almost March, so the free agency deadline is fast approaching. I expect even more changes coming to various teams.

Hey TEGAN....I was going to ask you about Francois ...... it sounds like a good pick up by our new GM! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} last season he had a career high in tackles-28, sacks-3, and 6 passes defended.

To save cap money we cut DE Stephen Bowen and cut D lineman Barry Cofield. The team saved a total of 9.72 million. We did re-sign OT Tom Compton.... The team could pursue Seahawks guard James Carpenter....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I'm a little surprised the Browns gave McCown a three year deal at around $15 million. I guess they really wanted him, but I think they might have been further ahead with one of the other options out there for the short term. Even a Michael Vick might have been a better option if they're planning on Johnny Manziel being their QB of the future. Vick's been to heck and back and could be a good mentor for Manziel and the staff could put in a running QB based offense with those two.

Lots more players are being cut everyday. You could assemble a pretty good team from the cut players available right now. Rumor has it the Eagles will make an unexpected cut on Monday. (Riley Cooper maybe?)

The Eagles are said to be on the verge of agreeing to a contract with Jeremy Maclin and he's likely to sign before the tag period begins on Monday. The Cowboys are apparently going to tag Dez Bryant. That locks him in for a year, but things get complicated after that. Tagging him two years in a row would be enormously expensive, so if they use the tag on him this year, they'd better get him to sign a long term deal before next year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!