Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for February 2015!!!!

This will be the start of our monthly updates during the off-season now that the Super Bowl is behind us.

Starting off we have the last head coaching vacancy (Atlanta's) filled by Dan Quinn the former Seahawks defensive coordinator. That will be an interesting hire to watch. I think the best head coach hire was probably Gary Kubiak for the Broncos. He's got experience, knows the system in Denver, and is close to the front office that's in place. Some guys just seem destined to fail. I'm not a huge fan of Oakland's hiring of Jack Del Rio. That could be the big bust of the coaching hires. There's very little talent on that roster and Del Rio hasn't been a head coach for a while now.

Warren Sapp has made a big sap out of himself by soliciting a prostitute and then assaulting someone while covering the Super Bowl. The NFL Network quickly flushed him and he's unlikely to pop up on any network for the foreseeable future. He's going to lose a lot of money as a result of that. He'd carved out a nice niche of commercial roles and commentating, but he's just made himself nearly untouchable.

Johnny Manziel has wisely headed off to rehab to clear up whatever issue (alcohol apparently, but I wouldn't rule out anything/everything else) he has. Cleveland finds themselves in a real dilemma quarterback wise. Brian Hoyer is a free agent. Do they resign him? Do they try to rely on Manziel? Do they grab someone in free agency? It'll be interesting to see.

The Eagles have been pretty quiet this off season so far. We've shuffled a few coaches around, poached a few guys off of other teams' practice squads, hired the new personnel guy who was in the building the whole time. The big thing to watch is Jeremy Maclin. The Eagles wanted to sign him to a long term deal last off-season for more than he made last season, but he wanted much more and took less for a one year "prove it" deal. He proved it and is now in position to cash in. Will the Eagles and Maclin come to some common ground on his value? Andy Reid of the receiver-less Chiefs would likely love to snatch up Maclin, so there's competition for his services if he makes it to free agency.

Lots of teams are trying to work out deals with their free agents and some are likely to end up having to let guys go they don't want to lose. The Cowboys don't have a lot of cap space and they've got two high value guys in Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray, both of whom want big paydays. Can they keep them both? We'll have to see.

The next big event is the NFL Combine where the college kids coming out this year go through endless exams and evaluations. A few guys who were supposed to be later picks will likely move up higher and some who were projected to be high picks will end up dropping a lot based on how they do at the combine. The big thing most will be watching is the quarterback comparison between Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston. There's a report that Mariota won't throw at the combine which could cause some teams concern. It'll be interesting to see where Mariota ends up going. My best guess is he'll go first overall since there are no real questions about his character and capabilities. Of course, some feel he's a result of the Oregon system and in a typical NFL system will fail miserably while Winston is more of a prototype NFL quarterback. We'll have to see what happens there. I don't see Mariota dropping past tenth in the first round no matter what.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2015!!!!

the ravens just released terrence cody on monday after he was indicted for animal abuse (dogs and an alligator).

now that ray rice has been reinstated it will be interesting to see who is showing interest in him.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I kind of wonder how you'd abuse an alligator??? Hmmmm. . . . . As to Ray Rice, a few years ago he'd have been a hot commodity in the off season, but his production had fallen way off before the domestic abuse issue and this is reportedly a great draft for running backs, so he's unlikely to even get a camp invite. It's possible Gary Kubiak likes him and gives him a shot in Denver, but I'm not sure if he would or not. I suspect Ray Rice will either have to go to Canada to play ball and show he has something left, or give it up. Running backs aren't that hard to find and an older running back whose production had fallen off before the legal trouble is not a hot commodity. He'll be lucky to find a team willing to give him five minutes of time and he'd have to blow them away to get a contract. I suspect he's done.

There are a lot of big name free agent running backs available and kids coming out in the draft, so a team with a need should be able to find a guy without having to deal with the headaches that come with Ray Rice. His only real advantage is that he'd likely have to sign cheap, so a team in cap trouble might get him for the veteran minimum, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be happy for long playing under that type of a contract.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Pats have a few free agents that they would love to keep if they can restructure contracts or find a way to keep them with the salary cap. Brady has already restricted his contract (lower) to make funds available to keep others around but we'll have to wait and see. I would hate to see Revis go, especially if it were to the Jets!

Esteemed Contributor

The Colts recently signed Cris Carter's son,WR Duron Carter. Duron played two years in the Canadian Football League. If he has the talent his father has, this is good news. However, he has yet to prove himself; it's a big difference going to the NFL.

Reggie Wayne and Hakeem Nicks will both be free agents, and it's uncertain whether Wayne will even return as there have been speculation on him retiring. Carter would most likely be third string WR behind T Y Hilton and Donte Moncrief. Anyway, Duron is someone to keep an eye on. Scouts seem to be high on him. Details of the contract aren't available, but I would think since he's not starting, that this is a relatively low risk deal.

Also, Colts LB D"Qwell Jackson, was arrested for assault against a pizza delivery guy. Apparently, there was an argument over a parking space. Jackson has been released, but I don't know what repercussions he will face from the NFL.

Gardenman, there are some tostito commercials online with Chip Kelly. To find them, just google Tostitos and Chip Kelly together. The commercials are quite entertaining.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Teganslaw. Yeah, the Chip Kelly commercials got a lot of local press. They're pretty good. Running backs and wide receivers coming from Canada tend to do pretty well, so there's a good chance Duron Carter will perform at a good level.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

So, the Redskins sent out a letter to their season ticket holders asking for ticket renewals and listing their star players, but omitted mentioning RGIII. Was that an oversight, or an indication that RGIII truly doesn't figure into their plans for the future? I believe trading can start taking place in early March, so if he's on the market, word should leak out then. I suspect they'll try to trade him first and then if they can't make a deal, cut him loose. I suspect we'll see lots of interesting names floating around in early/mid-March as teams try to sort out what to do with disappointing players who might have some trade value to other teams. It'll be a buyers market though with probably nothing more than a fourth round pick needed to pick up whoever's dangled. Is RGIII worth a fourth round pick? In the right situation, absolutely.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I'd unload him. This was yet another experiment that failed on the 'Skins roster. Never take the Heisman winner (at least not at that price!). The little bubble they exist in during college quickly pops. And you can only feed the machine to a degree - he's just one player on the team, albeit, arguably, the most important.

His star has completed it's arc and is now fizzling. Good for him if he gets on with another team and prospers. Ain't gonna happen in DC. Maybe Belechik will take him (that would be fantastic fodder for commentary).

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 gardenman said:

So, the Redskins sent out a letter to their season ticket holders asking for ticket renewals and listing their star players, but omitted mentioning RGIII. Was that an oversight, or an indication that RGIII truly doesn't figure into their plans for the future? I believe trading can start taking place in early March, so if he's on the market, word should leak out then. I suspect they'll try to trade him first and then if they can't make a deal, cut him loose. I suspect we'll see lots of interesting names floating around in early/mid-March as teams try to sort out what to do with disappointing players who might have some trade value to other teams. It'll be a buyers market though with probably nothing more than a fourth round pick needed to pick up whoever's dangled. Is RGIII worth a fourth round pick? In the right situation, absolutely.

Hi GARDENMAN,

I think what that letter implied is that Daniel Snyder ditched Robert as one of his buddies.....and Jay Gruden convinced Snyder that perhaps Robert is not the answer at QB. I think Robert threw his teammates under the bus, he did not work hard in the film room or work to correct his problems on his fundamental skills required to become a better pocket passer, he seemed more interested in marketing opportunities, so I say good riddance.....Although Chris Cooley thinks the letter does not mean a thing and he thinks that Robert will be named starting QB.....There are no QBs mentioned in the letter so if we do get rid of Robert, it appears we are going back to square one...so sad after giving up so much for him.

Todd McShay has the Redskins picking DE Missouri Shane Ray which probably means doom and gloom for Briank Orkapo who is oft injured....

Well at least we know that Kerrigan, Morris, and DeSean will be in the mix for the 2015 now we just need to fill all the other holes on our roster....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

SPURT. I think Orakpo is a free agent this year, so the Redskins have to decide if he's worth the big money he's likely to get offered. It's always nerve-wracking letting go of a guy who's had injury issues as he's likely to stay healthy for a few years after you let him go and make you look silly.

I'm not sure the Redskins next starting quarterback is currently on their roster. I suspect a lot of the guys who have flopped with one team will be shuffled around the league this off-season and end up on teams that are a better fit for their skill sets. A lot of coaches and GM's have changed jobs in the last two years and there are a lot of young QB's who were drafted by one coach/GM who now find themselves playing for a completely different one where their skills aren't ideal. I think we'll see a lot of quarterback shuffling going on this off-season as teams try to unload guys who no longer fit their scheme and find guys who do. Once the trading window opens up in March you're apt to see all kinds of names flying around.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!