Esteemed Contributor
On 12/13/2014 Gracies Mom said:

Hi emmysmom!!!!

Ugh, what a week! I had to bring Gracie to the vet the other day--I thought she might be starting with pancreatitis again--she was eating, but didn't look as if the food was going to stay down (it did)--and she was restless, like she was when diagnosed in September. I panicked and took her to the vet--knowing that, if caught early, pancreatitis can be treated before it gets severe. The vet didn't think she had it again--I had to bring her back for blood work yesterday (she had to be fasting). The vet said he will call me as soon as the blood work is back--he did a whole panel, which included tests for her pancreas and her kidneys--I will post as soon as I know the results. Meantime, Gracie appears to be OK--she's eating fine and is alert and playful--hopefully it was just a false alarm. Sometimes I get overprotective of her--the vet charged me a small fortune---but if she's OK, then the peace of mind is priceless!

How is Emmy Grace??

Have you gone back to work as a caregiver? I know what it's like to be told to stay home--I was a per diem worker at a hospital and was told many times to stay home--that I wasn't needed--it was tough financially and mentally.

Emmy will love her red parka! My hubby bought Gracie an NFL parka, along with a hood--which actually stays on her head! Her ears get so cold when she goes for a walk, that I worry about frostbite--hence the hood. Gracie also has a couple of lighter coats that completely cover her belly area so she doesn't get filthy with dirt, mud, salt and sand after a snowstorm. She won't tolerate booties, so we have to wash her feet and legs when she comes in, but her white belly stays clean!

What a coincidence--so you had a beloved Nikki too!!!! We still miss our Nikki--and she's been gone almost 11 years.

Oh yes, Gracie is thrilled that I am at home with her full time now--and just wait until her Daddy stays home full time too--she won't know what to do with herself! LOL!!

I will post again when I hear from the vet-----you take care of yourself and of Emmy Grace too!

Oh, one more thing--I was taking the ALA for a few days, but my irritable bowel flared up--I don't know if it was from the pills--or if it was just me. So I stopped the pills until the flare goes away and will try them again.

God Bless,

GraciesMom

I get papaya enzymes at Walmart. I give them to Emmy when she has tummy problems. I take them too, they're like candy. I'm sorry about your irritable bowel, I have been diagnosed with that in the past. (It was stress related for me!) I also share my plain yogurt with Emmy, she loves it and it helps her feel better.

I just found this holistic vet, please check out his site. He has some suggestions for pancreatitis in dogs. He sounds amazing..his supplements couldn't be as $$ as your vet suggests! Where do they think we'll get the money?? Vets are SO expensive. I have been following Dr. Dobias..he's into natural treatments now.

http://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11016097-pancreatitis-in-dogs-treatment-and-prevention-natural-app...

http://peterdobias.com/collections/pancreatitis/products/pancreas-glandular-support (Read the reviews!!!) I think we could all use this for our diabetes!

I'm sorry you and Gracie aren't feeling well, I think after reading Dr.D's tips, you'll feel more hopeful!

I'm still taking care of my wonderful client, she took a bad fall over the holiday weekend! Hopefully her family we'll see how fragile she is and not insist she goes out to dinner, movies etc. Its too tiring for her~I'm stressing how important getting her blood sugars down, now that she's taking it 2 times a day..we're seeing progress. I am planning on taking on another client, (mainly doing stuff around her home, she can't do)..an petsitting 2 kitties for 2 weeks..NO time for me to be sick, lol!

My twins are 22 today! How did that happen?? I remember that day 22 years ago, when it was doubtful if any of us would make it..! Keep the faith Gracie's mom! You're on my prayer list! Did you see the Pope said our pets would go to heaven?? We always knew this, I'm not Catholic, but I adore that man! He is truly compassionate, loving and wonderful!

Keep me posted! I will be checking in!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Emmy's mom xoxox

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Valued Contributor

Hi Emmysmom!!

So sorry to hear about your client--but best of luck with your second one!

Happy Birthday (belated) to your twins!! Are they identical? How wonderful to have twins!!

Yes, I sure did see that Pope Francis said our pets go to heaven--not that there was ever a doubt in my mind! The Holy Father is very compassionate towards animals--it's no coincidence that he took the name Francis (as in St Francis of Assisi--the patron saint of animals!).

I made a decision about Gracie. I decided not to give her the pancreatic enzyme the vet recommended--at least not for now. She isn't exhibiting any symptoms of pancreatic insufficiency and except for that one minor hiccup last week, has been fine without any meds except for her nightly Pepcid. I feel that her elevated pancreatic enzymes have still not come down since her bout with acute pancreatitis--it doesn't have to mean that she needs supplemental enzymes. However, there is a another vet that is partnered with our usual vet--she is young and very smart--and she doesn't always recommend what her partner does--she has her own mind. I want to give her a call this week and see what she has to say. Meanwhile, I called the vet's office and told them not to order the pancreatic enzymes yet--that I cannot afford them and I don't think Gracie needs them right now--I feel I had to do that since the enzymes have an expiration date.

Do you have an opinion about all this? Would you do the same as I'm doing--or would you put your beloved Emmy on the enzymes without more questions?

Thank you for the link to the holistic vet---I will read what he has to say.

Hope you and yours had a nice weekend--can you believe that the holidays are just about upon us? This year flew by, but I'm happy 2014 is almost over---it was a terrible year for me--not only did Gracie get deathly ill, but I lost my Mom in March---it hits me everyday that she is no longer here--it's tough, especially around the holidays--I miss her.

God Bless,

GraciesMom

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/15/2014 Gracies Mom said:

Hi Emmysmom!!

So sorry to hear about your client--but best of luck with your second one!

Happy Birthday (belated) to your twins!! Are they identical? How wonderful to have twins!!

Yes, I sure did see that Pope Francis said our pets go to heaven--not that there was ever a doubt in my mind! The Holy Father is very compassionate towards animals--it's no coincidence that he took the name Francis (as in St Francis of Assisi--the patron saint of animals!).

I made a decision about Gracie. I decided not to give her the pancreatic enzyme the vet recommended--at least not for now. She isn't exhibiting any symptoms of pancreatic insufficiency and except for that one minor hiccup last week, has been fine without any meds except for her nightly Pepcid. I feel that her elevated pancreatic enzymes have still not come down since her bout with acute pancreatitis--it doesn't have to mean that she needs supplemental enzymes. However, there is a another vet that is partnered with our usual vet--she is young and very smart--and she doesn't always recommend what her partner does--she has her own mind. I want to give her a call this week and see what she has to say. Meanwhile, I called the vet's office and told them not to order the pancreatic enzymes yet--that I cannot afford them and I don't think Gracie needs them right now--I feel I had to do that since the enzymes have an expiration date.

Do you have an opinion about all this? Would you do the same as I'm doing--or would you put your beloved Emmy on the enzymes without more questions?

Thank you for the link to the holistic vet---I will read what he has to say.

Hope you and yours had a nice weekend--can you believe that the holidays are just about upon us? This year flew by, but I'm happy 2014 is almost over---it was a terrible year for me--not only did Gracie get deathly ill, but I lost my Mom in March---it hits me everyday that she is no longer here--it's tough, especially around the holidays--I miss her.

God Bless,

GraciesMom

I'm so sorry about your mother! I lost mine in 2006, I miss her everyday but I know she's with the Lord and that makes me happy. My father and brother are also there. My brother died as a baby, so I never got to see him.The way I see it, I think my brother needed them, as I got to have her here for 55 years, lol! So many of our furbabies are there too..and I do love Pope Francis, the world really needs him right now!

I would NOT order those pricey enzymes, I couldn't afford them! I always try the simple, holistic approach..its worked for my kids and my pets. I think you're doing the right thing..and you're a loving mommy! I think LOVE makes a big difference..I give alot to Emmy and I get it back, they are so precious. Keep me posted..I know its hard at the holidays..think back to those wonderful holidays you spent together! When my dad died, the pastor told me he had gone into a room I couldn't go into yet..but I would soon. That gave me alot of comfort!!

Emmy and I send Gracie, you and your DH, hugs and a wonderful peaceful holiday!{#emotions_dlg.wub} A HEALTHY New Year!

-- Mae West
Valued Contributor

Hi Emmysmom!

Thank you for your opinion regarding the pancreatic enzymes!! In my heart, I do not want to start giving them to Gracie--but my vet now tells me that the enzymes might help her avoid another acute pancreatitis attack--what to do?????? She's doing so well at the moment--I would hate to rock the boat--but I don't know if she would survive another attack. I'm still researching my options--and I might have to spend more money for a second opinion. It's so hard to know what the right thing to do is.

I know my Mom--and my Grandma and Aunt--are all with the Lord right now--and that does bring me peace--but I guess the grieving process from my Mom's passing is still too fresh.I lost my Grandma in 2005 (she was 100 years old!) and my Aunt (Mom's sister who had Down's Syndrome) in 2012--she died from being neglected in a nursing home---I truly think after her sister's death, my Mom lost her will to live. Also, I was diagnosed with cancer for a second time--right after that my Mom fell and broke her arm and leg--had extensive surgery--ended up in rehab, but refused to cooperate, so she couldn't walk anymore--we had no choice but to place her in a nursing home--it was a good home,but she aspirated, got pneumonia and lingered for ten days in a coma in the hospital--she went into respiratory failure from sepsis--I signed the DNR papers. She passed on my brother's 53rd birthday--it was horrible. My brother and I just finalized the arrangements to have her grave stone made.

Sorry--I know I sound like a "Debbie Downer" right now---I'm just not in the mood to celebrate anything. I can't wait for this year to be over--hopefully 2015 will be a much better year.

God Bless,

GraciesMom

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/17/2014 Gracies Mom said:

Hi Emmysmom!

Thank you for your opinion regarding the pancreatic enzymes!! In my heart, I do not want to start giving them to Gracie--but my vet now tells me that the enzymes might help her avoid another acute pancreatitis attack--what to do?????? She's doing so well at the moment--I would hate to rock the boat--but I don't know if she would survive another attack. I'm still researching my options--and I might have to spend more money for a second opinion. It's so hard to know what the right thing to do is.

I know my Mom--and my Grandma and Aunt--are all with the Lord right now--and that does bring me peace--but I guess the grieving process from my Mom's passing is still too fresh.I lost my Grandma in 2005 (she was 100 years old!) and my Aunt (Mom's sister who had Down's Syndrome) in 2012--she died from being neglected in a nursing home---I truly think after her sister's death, my Mom lost her will to live. Also, I was diagnosed with cancer for a second time--right after that my Mom fell and broke her arm and leg--had extensive surgery--ended up in rehab, but refused to cooperate, so she couldn't walk anymore--we had no choice but to place her in a nursing home--it was a good home,but she aspirated, got pneumonia and lingered for ten days in a coma in the hospital--she went into respiratory failure from sepsis--I signed the DNR papers. She passed on my brother's 53rd birthday--it was horrible. My brother and I just finalized the arrangements to have her grave stone made.

Sorry--I know I sound like a "Debbie Downer" right now---I'm just not in the mood to celebrate anything. I can't wait for this year to be over--hopefully 2015 will be a much better year.

God Bless,

GraciesMom

Gracie's mom, you have a right to feel depressed. I'm so sorry for all the loss you have experienced! Too much pain in your life! This whole world seems to be flying apart, I don't know what I'd do without Emmy. We all need someone to love and love us back. I started praying the 91st Psalm daily, and before bed. I feel loved and protected and can sleep. I feel very alone and I too wish this holiday season was over..it will be soon! I remember one year there was a group of women that were alone on Christmas, and we got on here and talked to each other. It was great! My kids will be gone, but there's also some Christmas movies on the Hallmark channel..or even movies to rent. You, Gracie and your hubby can have a quiet Christmas..sometimes those are the best.

Did you check out Dr. Dobias' pancreatic supplements?? I think you can email him too. Thats the path I would take, I couldn't afford the enzymes your vet recommends. I will be praying over Gracie, I do that with Emmy..they're our babies!

Sending love and ((hugs)) from Em and I!

-- Mae West