Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 1,050
Registered: ‎11-13-2014

Anyone else have a hard time sleeping due to pain?

I have neck arthritis and laying down is so painful. I sleep barely...and get up each day at 2AM. I am doing PT to hopefully help me learn to control the pain. My arms and shoulders ache so and get stiff. It is misery.
Contributor
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎06-02-2014

Re: Anyone else have a hard time sleeping due to pain?

I also have neck pain due to arthritis...kept away from PT did not want to get worst with their manipulation ...so I massage myself two or three x a day..across and down sides of my neck and have experienced improvement... I hear a crunch sometimes when I move my neck...massaging has helped..think it's here to stay.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,521
Registered: ‎03-30-2014

Re: Anyone else have a hard time sleeping due to pain?

Count me as a club member. Looking back, I am really sure that I used to sleep all night long no problem long ago. Now night is sort of mixed up with day.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,982
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Anyone else have a hard time sleeping due to pain?

I'm so sorry for you all. Physical therapists do not do manipulation. Maybe you are thinking of a chiropractor, Juval. Anna, I hope the PT helps. If they want you to do the exercises at home, please do. Have you tried heat, or has your doctor suggested pain medication? Is it possible you need a new or different pillow? Not being able to sleep is totally miserable. Please don't give up trying to get help.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,152
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Anyone else have a hard time sleeping due to pain?

I don't have pain, but I have trouble sleeping. I wake up a few times during the night to go to the bathroom -- or -- I'm just awake and I turn on the tv for a while. Occasionally, I'll have a small glass of wine at night - and I'll sleep much better.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Anyone else have a hard time sleeping due to pain?

On 12/14/2014 kivah said:

I don't have pain, but I have trouble sleeping. I wake up a few times during the night to go to the bathroom -- or -- I'm just awake and I turn on the tv for a while. Occasionally, I'll have a small glass of wine at night - and I'll sleep much better.

Those who wake up repeatedly through the night needing to pee probably have sleep apnea. You need a sleep study. When a person stops breathing (sleep apnea) carbon dioxide builds up in your body and makes you acidotic - your kidneys will try to eliminate some of that CO2 and to do that they have to make urine. So you wake up because you aren't breathing & having to pee a lot.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,224
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Anyone else have a hard time sleeping due to pain?

I have what you have, and can,t raise my right arm. I had it packed in ice and taking exceeding. The next morning a dull pain, and couldn't, get dressed. That was Friday. Today better. PT did not help me or my son with pain, but we have an HIM, and the PT dept or therapist is not good. Ice, heat. And meds work.
Super Contributor
Posts: 1,050
Registered: ‎11-13-2014

Re: Anyone else have a hard time sleeping due to pain?

On 12/15/2014 qvcaddition said: I have what you have, and can,t raise my right arm. I had it packed in ice and taking exceeding. The next morning a dull pain, and couldn't, get dressed. That was Friday. Today better. PT did not help me or my son with pain, but we have an HIM, and the PT dept or therapist is not good. Ice, heat. And meds work.

In the morning that is how I feel... I just cry out in pain. After being up for a bit it loosens up and I can move... but it is still painful. Heat is a blessing temporarily... ice helps temporary with the pain too. It is awful isn't it?

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎12-08-2014

Re: Anyone else have a hard time sleeping due to pain?

I've been in constant pain 24/7 for almost 5 years. Sometimes it's a mild, nagging pain that I just ignore. Sometimes, it's significant. I call it my "un-named pain syndrome" because an army of docs can't find a cause. My pain moves around. I did have significant neck, shoulder and arm pain that went on for about 2 years. I could function during the day because Motrin or Aleve dulled the pain but nights were bad. I started taking Benadryl for my allergies and one of the by products was that when I took to otc Benadryl before bed time; I became so drowsy that I could fall asleep quickly and sleep straight through for 6 hours. Heaven! It felt like heaven! My neck pain is barely noticeable now but I have now have constant lower back pain and tendon pain in my knee. The Benadryl helps me sleep. I don't know what I would do without it.

Super Contributor
Posts: 1,050
Registered: ‎11-13-2014

Re: Anyone else have a hard time sleeping due to pain?

On 12/15/2014 Chrystaltree said:

I've been in constant pain 24/7 for almost 5 years. Sometimes it's a mild, nagging pain that I just ignore. Sometimes, it's significant. I call it my "un-named pain syndrome" because an army of docs can't find a cause. My pain moves around. I did have significant neck, shoulder and arm pain that went on for about 2 years. I could function during the day because Motrin or Aleve dulled the pain but nights were bad. I started taking Benadryl for my allergies and one of the by products was that when I took to otc Benadryl before bed time; I became so drowsy that I could fall asleep quickly and sleep straight through for 6 hours. Heaven! It felt like heaven! My neck pain is barely noticeable now but I have now have constant lower back pain and tendon pain in my knee. The Benadryl helps me sleep. I don't know what I would do without it.

I can relate. My first back pain started in my upper back... only hurt when I got up either out of bed or off the floor from laying flat. I slept fine. Then that got better and my shoulders started aching.... then it went to my arms... and my neck. Now It is all of those. and it is awful to lay flat and try to sleep....

My lower back USE TO hurt... and it is good now. It does seem to travel...all sounds like spinal nerve pain to me.