Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@beckyb1012

Cologuard! Is far from 100% accurate. 1 of the 2 friends of mine that died of Colon Cancer, relied on this test, and he is no longer living. He got a FALSE NEGATIVE result, which is not rare, and he trusted the results. The other friend did neither procedure, and it caused his death.

I personally would be more concerned(most say worried) about getting a result that is not 100%, so why take this non-accurate test for Colon Cancer? I wouldn't!

My 15 Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies were far from the worst procedures I have had done over the years, even the 2 Colonoscopies I had with Zero Anethesia.

Cologuard? Might as well put a yes and no note in a hat and pull 1 out and believe it is right.  My opinion of Cologuard? Spelled out pulling no punches, "just the facts ma'am"!

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  You are so right about Cologuard.  The commercial even says that it is not for people with a family history, people with previous colon cancer, and people who have had pre-cancerous polyps removed.  Nor is it for people with colon cancer symptoms.

My mother died from colon cancer, too.

I had a pre-cancerous type polyp removed last year.  Much rather go through that prep than have cancer.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

Thank you for adding this story about someone you know. I firmly believe that the more real life events that those that visit this forum read about, the more they will reconsider if they fall into the I Will Never group. 

I've heard tons of reasons(to me excuses) as to why "that group" even exists, but not a 1 of them makes me believe anyone's life should be put at risk when it is so preventable.

Thanks again, and I hope "this person" has as good a recovery as possible, and is able to resume their normal life once again.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Jtdmum

I had it a week ago today.  The prep wasn't fun and glad it's over with.  Now just waiting for the results.  Thanks for checking in with me.  

Trusted Contributor

Catty2--Keep us posted.  Keep thinking good thoughts! Fingers crossed and many prayers for you!

Esteemed Contributor

saw a new dr for what I think may be acid reflux and being a gastroenterologist he is sending me for my first colonoscopy along with a gastroscopy at another time. everyone I know that has had one says  the prep is the worse and you will feel sick and nauseous because of no food for a period of time .  Have any of you that have had one had this experience?  I get nauseous easily if I dont eat for a period of time  ,  I dont have diabetes,  but My blood sugar drops , just how I am

Also and without being too graphic ....with all that liquid prior and nothing in your stomach how do you not have to well .. pee !  ok now I've said it. lOL I worry about that as I am one that goes a lot ,  normally and I cant very well jump off the table to use the rest room every 10 mins.while waiting for the procedure to start 😁. I'm just wondering if anyone dealt with this ?  I have had surgeries before but not had to drink lots of  liquids.  Told not to drink liquids after a certain time 

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore

I described many times my 15 Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies. Drank 20 gallons, got sick? ZERO times.

The prep is meant to clean your Colon, not your Bladder. You trips to the throne will not be to pee, but to poop! I have had more Endoscopies than I have Colonoscopies, because of my Barrett's Esophagus diagnosis. I find neither procedure worth getting too concerned about. 

Many like to exaggerate their procedures. Why? Beats me, maybe just to tout how brave they are, I don't know.  I went for 17 days in the hospital on Apple Juice and Orange Jello, and I have been several days on only liquids, never felt sick or nauseous.

There is nothing terrible about the prep, just do it, and pee or poop as you need. Thinking and talking about this all the time? Makes me nervous reading about it, and I know there is nothing to it. Put it on the back burner until you begin your prep, then you will have YOUR answers, not mine or anyone else that replied to this thread.

Not meant to minimize this or any other medical procedure, but listening to some people tell their tale? I can't help but smile when I read some of the ridiculous claims made by some replies.

Best to ya now,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Kitty Galore

I described many times my 15 Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies. Drank 20 gallons, got sick? ZERO times.

The prep is meant to clean your Colon, not your Bladder. You trips to the throne will not be to pee, but to poop! I have had more Endoscopies than I have Colonoscopies, because of my Barrett's Esophagus diagnosis. I find neither procedure worth getting too concerned about. 

Many like to exaggerate their procedures. Why? Beats me, maybe just to tout how brave they are, I don't know.  I went for 17 days in the hospital on Apple Juice and Orange Jello, and I have been several days on only liquids, never felt sick or nauseous.

There is nothing terrible about the prep, just do it, and pee or poop as you need. Thinking and talking about this all the time? Makes me nervous reading about it, and I know there is nothing to it. Put it on the back burner until you begin your prep, then you will have YOUR answers, not mine or anyone else that replied to this thread.

Not meant to minimize this or any other medical procedure, but listening to some people tell their tale? I can't help but smile when I read some of the ridiculous claims made by some replies.

Best to ya now,

hckynut(john)

@hckynut    Thank you for being honest about what will happen .  Good advice .. ...  Dont worry about it till the day of the prep !   Other procedures  Ive had through the years I have found were not worth all the worrying and fretting.  I know it's important to my health so it has to be done.

Best to you as well

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore,

With every colonoscopy I’ve had, once I’m taken inside the day surgery unit and readied for the procedure, I’m given the opportunity to “go” as needed, right up until I am wheeled into the procedure room.   Since I couldn’t drink anything after midnight, I didn’t have overwhelming urges to go.   

The VA insists that my husband do a 2 day prep for a colonoscopy, which is very hard as a diabetic.   We make sure he drinks a lot of white grape juice, Sprite, and sweet tea to keep his blood sugar high.   

I have always felt hungry before and after the procedure, but never to the point of being sick- -just ready to eat once the test is over.   Sending very best wishes to you!

Respected Contributor

Is it normal to have to wait a week for the results?  I'm on the every 5 year plan & every time I've had the test, the gastro doc gives me a sheet of paper with the results & including pictures of what he found (Lovely!  lol) to take home with me from the procedure, same day. 

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01

Normal? Not for me. Inpatient? By the time I return to my room, sometimes before. Outpatient? Given results and pictures and get them before I leave.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)