Honored Contributor

It's not shingles @noodleann. I'm 99% sure that what I have is the herpes simplex virus as I have suffered with it my whole life. But when I go to my doctor, she will make sure it is nothing else. Fingers crossed. This has got to end! I'll be happy to hand over the raving idiot crown to you any time!Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes, I have tried Abreva @Noel7. It works and it makes the sores go away faster only to have another one come back right away, sometimes in the same spot and sometimes in another spot...non-stop! Absolutely crazy. I hope my doctor can help me. Appointment is not for another two months. By then I will be a raving idiot.Woman Tongue

Please allow me to lift the raving idiot mantle from you and put it on me by asking you whether you're sure you're not suffering from herpes zoster, or shingles. Again, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but when I saw "burning and itching" along with the regular herpes symptoms, it did occur to me.

So sorry you are dealing with this.

@noodleann

Cold sores are Herpes Simplex. Mine typically include burning, itching and swelling.

I'm well aware of the difference, hence the "raving idiot"  bit. Mine never, ever have included "burning, itching and swelling." For which I am glad.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes, I have tried Abreva @Noel7. It works and it makes the sores go away faster only to have another one come back right away, sometimes in the same spot and sometimes in another spot...non-stop! Absolutely crazy. I hope my doctor can help me. Appointment is not for another two months. By then I will be a raving idiot.Woman Tongue

Please allow me to lift the raving idiot mantle from you and put it on me by asking you whether you're sure you're not suffering from herpes zoster, or shingles. Again, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but when I saw "burning and itching" along with the regular herpes symptoms, it did occur to me.

So sorry you are dealing with this.

@noodleann

Cold sores are Herpes Simplex. Mine typically include burning, itching and swelling.

I'm well aware of the difference, hence the "raving idiot"  bit. Mine never, ever have included "burning, itching and swelling." For which I am glad.

That's the reason I shared that with you.  I don't think her symptoms or mine are unique @noodleann

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee, I used to get cold sores a lot when I was a kid (and now, when I am under extreme stress) and my doctor told me to put MacLeans toothpaste on it.  Well, I don't think they make that any more, but I will tell you, if you use a 'white' paste toothpaste (like the original Colgate), it seems to also work.  You just dab some on like you would Abreva and that cold sore goes away in a couple of days.  I didn't even mind looking like an idiot with white toothpaste on my lip because it went away pretty quickly, but if that is an issue (LOL), you can do it at night and the weekends.

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli,

Thank you for the tip! I am going to try it tonight!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

@SilleeMee, I used to get cold sores a lot when I was a kid (and now, when I am under extreme stress) and my doctor told me to put MacLeans toothpaste on it.  Well, I don't think they make that any more, but I will tell you, if you use a 'white' paste toothpaste (like the original Colgate), it seems to also work.  You just dab some on like you would Abreva and that cold sore goes away in a couple of days.  I didn't even mind looking like an idiot with white toothpaste on my lip because it went away pretty quickly, but if that is an issue (LOL), you can do it at night and the weekends.

Great tip, @DrKelli !

Abreva is incredibly expensive, and for a little tiny tube.  I ran out awhile back and was shocked by the price for a tiny OTC.

Respected Contributor

Re: More on Auto Immune

[ Edited ]

It aggravates me how expensive Abreva is. And because I don't get cold sores that often any more, when I do--the tube is dried up so i have to buy a new one.

The reason Macleans worked so well is that it had ether in it!  LOL--no wonder they took it off the market.

Respected Contributor

pssst--you can buy it on Amazon!