Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

I am not sure who to address this to, but I have been dealing with a family issue for several days and have not kept up with this thread.

I have managed to maintain my weight this week with some of the suggestions in this thread.  I did have a few bites of chicken yesterday at my daughter's house yesterday, and eating pretty much the same breakfast of organic almond milk either in decaf with a plain waffle, or cream of wheat with organic almond milk, which is very filling.  I have also made the banana/applesauce shakes and they are quite tasty, so I imagine they will become a staple.  I imagine that is what is helping with maintaining my weight.  Also including the baked potatoes and white rice in my diet, as well as spinach and eggs, and asparagus tips.

My symptoms have lessened and this is a diet I think I can live with.  I do miss ice cream and most likely will try to find a good substitute for that next time I shop.

Thank you everyone for your interest and suggestions.  I very much appreciate it.

@LilacTree

Whomever you are addressing is insignificant to me. I am just happy to see that your symptoms have lessened and you have foods that you can eat. Hopefully this continues for you and expedites your recovering.

I know you titled and started this thread and if something Anyone has said, has helped you, I am certainly happy to read this news. I realize you have many different and difficult health issues, and I wish I had something to offer that might help you.

I consider you to be a cyber-friend and want only for you to feel better and be able maximize your enjoyment of your life. My thoughts are with you as you find your way to more pain free and enjoyable hours in every single day.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

I am not sure who to address this to, but I have been dealing with a family issue for several days and have not kept up with this thread.

I have managed to maintain my weight this week with some of the suggestions in this thread.  I did have a few bites of chicken yesterday at my daughter's house yesterday, and eating pretty much the same breakfast of organic almond milk either in decaf with a plain waffle, or cream of wheat with organic almond milk, which is very filling.  I have also made the banana/applesauce shakes and they are quite tasty, so I imagine they will become a staple.  I imagine that is what is helping with maintaining my weight.  Also including the baked potatoes and white rice in my diet, as well as spinach and eggs, and asparagus tips.

My symptoms have lessened and this is a diet I think I can live with.  I do miss ice cream and most likely will try to find a good substitute for that next time I shop.

Thank you everyone for your interest and suggestions.  I very much appreciate it.

@LilacTree

Whomever you are addressing is insignificant to me. I am just happy to see that your symptoms have lessened and you have foods that you can eat. Hopefully this continues for you and expedites your recovering.

I know you titled and started this thread and if something Anyone has said, has helped you, I am certainly happy to read this news. I realize you have many different and difficult health issues, and I wish I had something to offer that might help you.

I consider you to be a cyber-friend and want only for you to feel better and be able maximize your enjoyment of your life. My thoughts are with you as you find your way to more pain free and enjoyable hours in every single day.

hckynut(john)

What a sweet message, John.  I feel a special friendship toward you as well.  I don't know if you remember we did not start out so friendly, as I misunderstood your posts until I started to realize you meant them to be humorously sardonic, not deliberately negative. 

You certainly understand chronic illness as well.  Autoimmune disease is on the rise and once you get one, well . . . you know the rest.  I will always be grateful that mine started late in life, as I have my wonderful younger years to look back on.

Thank you for your good vibes towards me. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I'm not a big milk drinker.  I never have been.  I'm also not a huge cheese eater but I do eat Greek yogurt on a regular basis and I'm not going to stop.

Once in a great while I will eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast and use 2% milk in it.  I use just enough milk to make the cereal and I don't drink what is left in the bowl. 

I have tried other types of milk but I just don't like the taste of them at all and I felt they changed the way the food tasted that I was putting them with.

I also seriously doubt that there are many people who are overweight due to milk.  Eating ice cream yes.  But drinking milk?  Highly unlikely.        

Respected Contributor

Lilactree, there are some great non-dairy frozen desserts out there. I am seeing coconut cream being used in all kinds of wonderful ways, and I saw a Vitamix video on YouTube showing how to make cashew cream, using raw cashew nuts. You can use cashew cream in savory soups as well as desserts. I love "Christina Cooks" on PBSs, and she does some marvelous things with tofu-including a vegan cheesecake. I can't afford the fat calories, but it really sounds as if you could use them-but I don't know what effect they may have on gastroparesis....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Lilactree, there are some great non-dairy frozen desserts out there. I am seeing coconut cream being used in all kinds of wonderful ways, and I saw a Vitamix video on YouTube showing how to make cashew cream, using raw cashew nuts. You can use cashew cream in savory soups as well as desserts. I love "Christina Cooks" on PBSs, and she does some marvelous things with tofu-including a vegan cheesecake. I can't afford the fat calories, but it really sounds as if you could use them-but I don't know what effect they may have on gastroparesis....

Poodlepet2

Ever since I read this post last week, poodlepet2, I have been dying for cheesecake.  I just read it again and am going to google non-dairy cheesecake recipes!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

I love milk but I cut back on the amount of dairy in my diet.  I only drink organic now.  Funny, when I first started drinking organic I could only find it in a few places.  Now it is everywhere and seems the norm.

OP - have you considered working with a nutritionist for a while to get some suggestions on a healthy diet?  It would be money well spent IMO, as they can really help in finding subsitutes and putting together a well balanced meal plan.

Honored Contributor

There is a lot of misinformation about milk floating around now.  It is NOT all true.  Check the facts please before you become terrified of a good, safe product for human consumption. 

Honored Contributor

There is a lot of misinformation about milk floating around now.

It is NOT all true.
Check the facts please before you become enamoured of a bad, harmful product not for human consumption.

--------

Posters are forgetting @LilacTree is abstaining from dairy, not only because of her medical condition, but also for ETHICAL reasons.

Ethical reasons are akin to religious reasons.  

It's sad those not recognizing that fact probably wouldn't understand

the religious laws of a Kosher kitchen or dietary restrictions during Ramadan.   #EducateYourself

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

There is a lot of misinformation about milk floating around now.

It is NOT all true.
Check the facts please before you become enamoured of a bad, harmful product not for human consumption.

--------

Posters are forgetting @LilacTree is abstaining from dairy, not only because of her medical condition, but also for ETHICAL reasons.

Ethical reasons are akin to religious reasons.  

It's sad those not recognizing that fact probably wouldn't understand

the religious laws of a Kosher kitchen or dietary restrictions during Ramadan.   #EducateYourself

I'm pretty sure that people who post here are smart and educated posters.

I'm pretty sure that they can figure things out for themselves as adults as to what to do for themselves regarding what they need, and they don't need any one of us to tell them what to do for themselves. They have existed so far without that happening, I'm sure. Smiley Happy

I give people enough credit for doing so. 

We can all share our experiences, and that is the point of a message board, in my opinion.

I'm always happy to share my own personal experiences with others, and read of others' experiences, but I'm not out to personally control others or to rule the world either, with what I say to someone else. Smiley Wink

I personally don't listen to random information posted here, myself. If I wanted to do that, I can look on the internet, at anything that is already posted there. 

I listen to the healtcare providers that I go to, and I would tell anyone else to do the same, who is looking for any kind of help. Those providers are the people who are licensed and credentialed when it comes to healthcare. 

If someone needs more help, they can then be referred to someone else if necessary within that healthcare network, for additional help.

What I unfortunately tend to get from your posts are veiled insults directed at posters here, such as the one that is in this very post regarding ethics and keeping a Kosher household, like no one would even understand that. 

You have no idea what the educational backgrounds are of the people you post with here. In my opinion it's not even necessary to constantly insult people here, because they have a difference of opinion with you.

I personally don't tend to listen to anyone who continually insults anyone else, especially on the internet.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@LilacTree

Very happy you are getting better.  

Amazing how quickly your body wants to heal when

the wrong foods are eliminated & replaced with healing plants.

(ps..I saw the salmon. Might not be the best choice for inflammation, but even with your other dietary choices, you're moving in the right direction)

Congratulations!