Honored Contributor

I have been on Metformin for MANY years. And in the beginning it took a bit to get used to. Food went through me rather quickly. But now it does not have any adverse effect on me.

Hope it goes well for you.

Frequent Contributor

I have taken it since 2011. My doctor who replaced my doctor a couple of years ago increased my dosage to 1,000 twice a day. If I take one pill at 1,000mg I become Iill with my head in a plastic bag. I see her in January so we can update it. In the meantime I cut the pill in half twice a day. 

Regular Contributor

We went to a Christmas Party last night. 8 people at our table, every one of us is on metformin.They hand out prescriptions for this drug like water.

Honored Contributor

@patofl wrote:

We went to a Christmas Party last night. 8 people at our table, every one of us is on metformin.They hand out prescriptions for this drug like water.

@patofl Personally, I think it has more to do with a life saving medication for diabetes. Diabetic's who have elevated blood sugars burn out their pancreas far sooner than someone medicated. If patients (Type 2) are unable to get their blood sugars down by weight loss, diet and exercise then metformin is the first line of defense against the devastating effects of out of control diabetes.

Honored Contributor

Metfromin is a life saving med for many. It offers protection for your heart ,and your vision, as well as keeping your blood sugar at safe levels

Trusted Contributor

I first started taking metformin 15 yrs ago. I was started on the regular stuff but had some stomach issues with it so my doctor had me switch to metformin xr and the stomach issues went away. 

4 or 5 years ago I was able to stop taking the med because I had lost a lot of weight and my numbers were consistently normal. 

I recently asked to be put back on metformin xr as I had gained weight and my numbers were going back up. As long as I have a snack with the metformin I have no issues with it. 

I had to request to be put back on it because I was having a hard time controlling my diet and I really hate exercise. For some reason when I'm taking this med I am able to stay away from carbs and I find my self walking and checking my blood sugar on a regular basis. I think when I'm off the med I think I'm fine but the med makes me realize that I have this disease and I need to take control of it. Guess that's just how my mind works! 

Spoiler

oops hit the wrong button.