Honored Contributor

Exercise boosts your metabolism better than any supplement is going to.

Plus, it has other benefits.

Honored Contributor

Re: Metabolism...

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I do make a smoothie from frozen bagged fruit, it that also a NO NO?

@Mom2Dogs 

I recently have been doing a large smoothie every day

(75% leafy greens vs 25% frozen fruit...with water).

Throw in some chia/flax...and it’s hydrating & filling. 

You might Google ‘SmoothieShred’ to see if it appeals to you.

HTH!

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee , no never had my thyroid tested and do not count calories...I just don't feel like I over eat, but yes I understand unless your right it down you don't really know.

Respected Contributor

I am no longer young, but I needed to lose weight for my son's wedding. i chose a low carb diet eg: Atkins, South Beach etc. Those work for me.

I successfully lost 30 lbs.  It took 11 months of calorie counting and some exercise.  I also restricted my carbs and eliminated sweets.  I do not eat pasta, bread, potatoes or sweets. I would occasionally have a glass of wine, but I was aware that each glass was 80 to 90 calories per glass.  I also weighed my meat - mostly chicken.  I also drank 8 glasses of water a day. It helps flush the sodium out of your system.  I will admit the most important tool is a food diary where you keep track of your calorie intake daily.  You must deficity 3500 calories to lose 1 lb.

My cousin is a PhD nutritionist and gave me this formula. This formula is specific for a woman

Your  current weight X 10 = daily calories to maintain your current weight X 7  for weekly calories to maintain your current weight.

At end of week add up actual eaten calories. Then take weekly calories needed to maintain current weight minus actual calories eaten for the week.  You will have the number of calories deficited.  Divide that number by 3500 and you will get your mathematical weight loss.  For me it was about a pound and some weeks a little more per week.  Some weeks I did not lose anything, but then maybe the next I would be down 2  lbs.  

Another tip if you go below 950 calories your body goes into starvation mode and it becomes harder to lose weight.  I tried to keep my calories between 950 and 1200.  Another benefit from eliminating carbs is your appetite decreases.

Obviously this is a summary of my weight loss journey. 

Anyway I am enjoying my 30 lbs weight loss!

Honored Contributor

I keep being told by my Drs I've killed my metabolism.  Why?  Well I only eat one meal (lunch) a day.

I can't smell or taste so I don't get hungry.  You'd think I'd be thin, but because I can hardly move, everything I eat for lunch stays on me.

All three Drs keep telling me I need to eat more.  

I have a friend who's a personal trainer.  Before we'd go to the beach with him, he'd eat lots of small meals to speed up his metabolism.

He was in amazing shape (he also worked out).  So, I know what to do, but it's difficult to eat when you just aren't hungry for anything.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  It's a proven medical fact and has been publicized for years that the human body NEEDS water! Not just liquids like coffee or tea of any kind, but WATER.

I myself drink 3-4 of the regular size bottles daily.

Any medical person can verify this. It's a well known fact. One glass a day won't cut it.

Honored Contributor

@culebra  congrats on your weight loss, that's great!  and the upcoming wedding.

Thanks for your input, I'll do the math and see where I need to be.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids  I am rarely thirsty but I do know it's important to drink water, just don't like it.  I am determined to drop these 10 lbs.

I appreciate all the in put.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I do make a smoothie from frozen bagged fruit, it that also a NO NO?

No. A smoothie should be under 200 calories. What else is in the smoothie?  Do you throw anything green in there?  @Mom2Dogs 
Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal ...the only thing in the Weight Watchers recipe is bagged frozen fruit and crystal light.  2 cups fruit, 1 cup crystal light.