Honored Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

@DoneTryin wrote:

@CHATTY wrote:

Everyone gets medicare at 65. 

People have to enroll, so it's not automatic.

The best way to get accurate info is to go to their website at www.medicare.gov

It is automatic IF you have opted to take your social security at 62. The supplemental/ advantage/drug  plans are not automatic. 

So far we are not worried about the drug plans. DH does not take any medication. I only take thyroid medication & it's not expensive.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Don't you have to be 65 to use it? My dad thinks if DH retires at 62 he can get on Medicare. I told him if DH retires at 62 he would be without Ins for 3 yrs & I would be without for 5 yrs. Have only had health ins from the work place. 

You may want to see a insurance agent. He/She could find you a health insurance policy very much like your current coverage. This needs to be done before your DH retires so you can look at all your options.

http://kff.org/

Thx for the link. I figure there is really no reason to start checking into all of this now since to many things can change in 2 yrs. 

I just wanted clarification on age you can start using Medicare.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@nyc1, in my case, I received my Medicare part A card at age 65 but applied for Medicare part B (the one that you pay for) when I retired at age 68.  Prior to retirement, I had full medical insurance from my employer.

So they have part A & part B Medicare. Does part B work as the supplemental or is that something else you also have to get? Guess we will have a lot of researching to do.

Honored Contributor

@CHATTY wrote:

Part A pays the hospitals and Part B pays the doctors.

So if part B covers the doctors you don't have to have part B & can pay the doctor out of pocket yourself.

Unless I start going to the doctor more then once per year that may work for us until we do need part B.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC Political

Honored Contributor

You are required at age 65 to sign up for part A which is free, so why not? There is no legal requirement to sign up for any other parts. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update, @151949.

I should have clarified that It was just one year back in 2005.

Respected Contributor

@nightowl Pray you dont end up with a catastrophic illness. COBRA may be a rip off but having breast cancer isnt something I feel like playing 'chicken' with.

My COBRA covered my $50,000.00 in radiation treatments, surgery, 2 oncologists, and the assorted Rx I needed.

Yes, co-pays are a pain, but bc is worse.

Honored Contributor

if the OP decide to go without health insurance it is her risk to take. i am betting she will be here on the board complaining if she gets sick and has to pay the bill out of pocket or if the government catches her and she has to pay the fine.