Honored Contributor

Don't you have to be 65 to use it? My dad thinks if DH retires at 62 he can get on Medicare. I told him if DH retires at 62 he would be without Ins for 3 yrs & I would be without for 5 yrs. Have only had health ins from the work place. 

Valued Contributor

Everyone gets medicare at 65. 

Respected Contributor

@CHATTY wrote:

Everyone gets medicare at 65. 

People have to enroll, so it's not automatic.

The best way to get accurate info is to go to their website at www.medicare.gov

Respected Contributor

OP you may be thinking of SS. He can start getting it 62 but it will be reduced from what he would get at 66 and you don't recoup it.

Respected Contributor

Everyone is eligible for Medicare at 65, not before.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

You are eligable to get Social Security at 62 but many opt not to get in for a few years because their payments will be larger if they wait.

Medicare is a health program for Seniors and everyone is eligible at 65 (no earlier), but you have to enroll.  As stated it doesn't automatically start  but the eligibility to enroll starts at 65.  It will cover approx 80% of health expenses and most everyone tries to get a supplemental insurance plan to cover the 20% that Medicare does not cover.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

OP you may be thinking of SS. He can start getting it 62 but it will be reduced from what he would get at 66 and you don't recoup it.

My dad thinks if you start SS at 62 that Medicare kicks in. I told him no it was 65. He asked when did they change that. I told him it's always been 65 as far as I know. 

We know it will be reduced but he's ready to quit working. He just turned 60.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

You are eligable to get Social Security at 62 but many opt not to get in for a few years because their payments will be larger if they wait.

Medicare is a health program for Seniors and everyone is eligible at 65 (no earlier), but you have to enroll.  As stated it doesn't automatically start  but the eligibility to enroll starts at 65.  It will cover approx 80% of health expenses and most everyone tries to get a supplemental insurance plan to cover the 20% that Medicare does not cover.

How far in advance before turning 65 do you enroll? DH is sick of working. I want him to retire at 62 because I want to move. We don't want to pay for expensive health ins until we both turn 65. When the time comes I will have to do my homework on supplemental ins.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

How far in advance before turning 65 do you enroll? DH is sick of working. I want him to retire at 62 because I want to move. We don't want to pay for expensive health ins until we both turn 65. When the time comes I will have to do my homework on supplemental ins.

@Nightowlz

You can apply 3 months before your 65th birthday.  It becomes effective the month you turn 65, at the beginning of that month.  It takes about 5-10 minutes to apply online, and within 3 weeks you get your Medicare card.  I was surprised at how quick and easy the whoe application process is.

Honored Contributor

If you retire on disability you can get medicare before 65 - two years after your disability claim is approved. Otherwise , yes, you must be 65. If you retire before 65 then you could either go on COBRA - very expensive - from your employer or go to the Health marketplace thru Obamacare.It is illegal to be without health insurance since the ACA , you must show proof of insurance when you file your income taxes now.