Trusted Contributor

I was interested in information on this subject because I was surprised by a Medicare denial on an entirely different procedure.

About 8 years ago I had no symptoms but my rheumatologist did a bone density test and Medicare paid.  Then 3-4 years ago I had the same test and I was dealing with a complicated spinal/nerve root issue.  Medicare denied the test.  I do not recall the exact diagnoses they told me where the test would be  approved; but they were specific conditions.  I checked with the doctor's office and billing department, and they replied they coded correctly and nothing they could do to help.  When I saw the doctor again she said everyone has this test every 2 years and all have been paid by Medicare.  She never heard of test being denied except for specific medical conditions and could do nothing to help.  Medicare did not make me pay, but if I really need the test in the future I am not sure what I would do.

Seems like Medicare changes the rules without any notification and how can anyone keep track of all of the changes?

I hope all works out for anyone with the knee replacement issues.

Honored Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@judianne Interesting that you said Medicare would not pay for the ice machine.  Had both knees done last year, one in May, other in October.  Both times they sent me home with an ice machine that did not require me to return it.  Medicare covered both times.  I wonder if it depends on what medicare package one has.  As for the CPM, surgeon did not put me on that, just told me to continue the use of compression stockings to keep swelling under control and most importantly to get up and move for at least 15 minutes every hour.

my joint hospital used ice  put in a plastic leak proof bag and placed into a pillow cover.   I used that   in the hospital after surgery and the  same thing at home... worked perfectly... no need for fussy machines that cost money.  

Valued Contributor

The ice machine is just an elaborate bucket with ice and water in it and a pump , it pumps ice water through a tube to an ice pack on your knee . Stays cold longer and no melting ice to deal with .Just have to dump new ice in from time to time . I used the frozen gel pacs . People l have talked to said the ice machines were nice .More consistent temperature , don’t have to get up all the time for more ice etc .