Respected Contributor

I have been going to the same dentist for 10 years  and over the years his practice has grown and now when I go I never have the same dentist or hygienist anymore. Since I have retired  I don't have  insurance anymore and he is soo expensive I feel I need to look for someone else and check on there prices. I have called 2 different dentists and they would not give me prices over the phone. I am told I have to come in for that information.

I wanted to know what the cost was of a cleaning, x rays and filling if I needed which I sure I don't as I have always been on top of  my teeth. I mean when you shop around for anything you should have the  right to know what you are paying for and not make an appointment to find out? Also I looked for reviews on one of the dentists and the reviews were all great but when I was talking to the secretary she said the dentist would also discuss a plan  of care to go over with  me. I have never had any dentist write a plan before what is this?

Super Contributor

Re: Looking For A New Dentist

I wish you good luck. I am not happy with the dental world. Been to several in the past years, spent tons of money, and still have problems. All too many seem incompetent and over- priced. 

Respected Contributor

If a practice can not tell you the price of a cleaning and x-rays over the phone move on.

My last appt at an endodontist, just for an eval they were very clear on the phone what the eval cost would be and the x-ray cost would be BEFORE I made the appointment.  Then they sent it to me in writing to sign.  All other fees were reviewed once the eval was done.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think you'll ever find a new dentist that will quote prices - over the phone unless you are already a patient.  For many reasons.

Esteemed Contributor

Another thing to think about.........when you switch dentist they will insist on new x-rays = which is expensive.  They may ask for your records from your former dentist but..........they always (always) want new x-rays taken by them.

So you have a bill before any work is done.  Yes, evaluation of your teeth is the first order of business for them.

Honored Contributor

Oh ladies, I am in the same boat.

I had been going to the same dentist for 20+ years. He moved into a larger office and completely remodeled it. He also is paying alot more for the larger office.

Now he pushes for me to replace the crowns in my mouth. He even gives me invoices for all the dental work he wants to do. I understand, both his sons are in college and he has expenses to pay. But I also no longer have dental insurance.

When he was pulling and wiggling a new crown that is about 5 years old, trying to make it come off, I knew I no longer wanted to come back to his office. He wanted to replace the crown.

But I had been with him so long, 

Esteemed Contributor

No advice, but I feel for you.  This is one of the hardest things to deal with.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a friend that works for a dentist, she said they get bonus if they can "upsell"

I work for an insurance company 1st question the dentist office asks is how much of the benefits are remaining. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cuddlesmama 

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I have been going to the same dentist for 10 years  and over the years his practice has grown and now when I go I never have the same dentist or hygienist anymore. Since I have retired  I don't have  insurance anymore and he is soo expensive I feel I need to look for someone else and check on there prices. I have called 2 different dentists and they would not give me prices over the phone. I am told I have to come in for that information.

I wanted to know what the cost was of a cleaning, x rays and filling if I needed which I sure I don't as I have always been on top of  my teeth. I mean when you shop around for anything you should have the  right to know what you are paying for and not make an appointment to find out? Also I looked for reviews on one of the dentists and the reviews were all great but when I was talking to the secretary she said the dentist would also discuss a plan  of care to go over with  me. I have never had any dentist write a plan before what is this?

I don,t know what state you live in, but here in Calif. If you don,t have Dental ins. Or even if you have a pet or need Cosmetic surgery, there is a credit card called, CARE CREDIT FOR MEDICAL US WITH NO INTEREST CHARGE FOR A CERTAIN DURATION.  I have used it many times for Dental,, my Dog,s surgery, and even Botox.

You pay so much a month, no interest as long as you pay in full by the alloted time frame.    I had one and a half years for some teeth work.  You might look into it if you need help with cost.  CARE CREDIT.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla Your experience is similar to my very expensive - and then loss of tooth - that had never given me a problem or a grumble.  That's when I changed dentist - refused to give him another opportunity to touch my teeth...to 'gold dig' $$$$$