Respected Contributor

Medicare and Supplemental Insurance Question

I have a question for those who use Medicare and supplemental insurance. My sister started Medicare this month and she chose to go with a supplemental insurance plan. She hasn't really kept herself too involved with the process (she's using a broker to help her) but she said when she goes to the doctors she just gives them her Medicare card. Do you know if that is correct? Doesn't she also have to supply them with her supplemental insurance card?

I am on an Advantage Plan so I'm not familiar with the process, I just use one card.

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Medicare and Supplemental Insurance Question

I am on Blue Cross Senior Gold and I need to present that card only. I do not need to present the Medicare card because BC manages that - they get whatever payment they are entitled to directly from Medicare and they pay the rest of covered items. Hope that helps.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Valued Contributor

I am on Blue Cross Blue shield through retirement with my employer. I retired as a result of disability. Therefore, I went to Medicare automatically after a couple of years. I now present my Medicare card and my Blue Cross Supplemental card. I am sure that Medicare will answer your specific question by phone or email.

Super Contributor

When you go to a doctor you need to show your medicare card and the supplemental card. Usually, once they copy them and put both in their records, you will not have to show anything at future visits with that doctor. They will just ask if you have any changes in your healthcare. Any new doctor will ask for both cards.

That said, it is safer to have the 2 cards with you at office visits, just in case they want to see them.

The bill from your doctor visit goes thru Medcare first and then they route it to your supplement plan.

Trusted Contributor

Did she tell the doctor's office she also has a supplemental plan? If not they may not have asked her for her supplemental card. Or it may depend on what the office is willing to file.

After doing some research recently to change my primary physician (I'll be 65 this year), I found some that, while they would file with medicare, they would not accept or file certain other medigap (supplemental) plans. If I had chosen one of those doctors, I assume I would have had to file the supplemental claims myself after medicare paid their share.

Respected Contributor

As I understand it, when you sign up for the medigap supplement that insurance company is supposed to inform medicare and then medicare automatically forwards the claims to the insurance company after medicare has done their thing. That is how it's supposed to work. I think it's called coordination of benefits.

However, I always show both cards when going to a doctors office. First of all, it can take several months for the medicare/insurance company coordination to be set up. You need for the doctors office to know you have the supplement insurance so they won't bill you after the medicare payments have been received and they know to wait for the insurance company payments to come in too. And if they don't get paid by the insurance co, they know the details on which insurance company to contact. Or if they bill you you can direct them to the insurance co and they have the info on file. This is important at the start of the year, but also though out the year. In addition, different supplement plans may have different terms with regard to copays, deductibles, etc.

Hope this helps.

Advantage plans work totally differently and not all doctors who accept medicare accept advantage plans.

Frequent Contributor

I am on a medicare advantage program which I love!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always shoe both insurance cards. I always recommend a medicare advantage program, if they have to go out of the program to get you the right help, they do. No questions asked. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone. I thought she at least needed to show her supplemental insurance card but she said she hasn't received one yet. She assumed that information was just forwarded to Medicare and she didn't have to be concerned about it.

I appreciate your responses.

Honored Contributor

Whenever you have ANY type of health insurance/ Medicare coverage, you need to show the relevant cards, at least for the first time.

Many doctors' offices will record the information and use that for future visits. It's up to the patient to notify them of any future changes. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I don't know why she would think she can get coverage .... and then not provide the information! {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Respected Contributor

I have to always show my medicare card and my supplemental ins. card.