Honored Contributor

For Those Who Don't Have Prescription Coverage

I didn't have insurance coverage for meds and had to rely on $4 meds from Walmart. They weren't always the best ones for me. I have posted about this before and I'm sure many of you know about it . There is a website called Goodrx.com. You type in the medication, dosage, and amount you need. It gives you several places in your area with the prices for the meds. You then print out the coupon and take it to the pharmacy. I go to Walmart and they have always accepted the coupons. I take Atorvastatin (Lipitor) and couldn't afford it if I had to pay full price for it. I feel bad for people who don't know about this and are paying too much for their medications.

Honored Contributor

Re: For Those Who Don't Have Prescription Coverage

Walmart is usually the BEST place to get prescriptions filled if you're paying cash. They are an international retailer and buy drugs in such large quantities that they can pass on to the consumer the discounted rates.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting the site. We have a good RX plan and other than our co-pays I never really paid attention to the prices. Shocking the difference! My Creon (for pancreatitis) is almost $1,000. The last I knew the price it was $400.00. I downloaded the app also. Thanks again.
Honored Contributor

I heard on the news last week that the price of generics is soaring. They cited the case of doxycycline which has gone from $20 for the standard prescription to over $1,000. That's going to hurt a lot of people.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My vet told me about this site to get my dog's Rx for the best price possible since they are so expensive and no insurance. I've saved alot of money using the site!

By the way, I've always found walmart to NOT be the best price to get RX when paying cash, at least not the Rxs I've tried.

Honored Contributor

Coverage or not, make sure to check Costco RX pricing. They have a free/no cost Costco Member RX plan that gives you an addtl discount-ask about it at the pharma counter. In some cases, meds are lower cost at Costco out of pocket /cash with the addtl discount than insurance, lower than Walmart, and lower than what is published by goodrx. You can also get price quotes via phone from costco, walmart, cvs etc.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Contributor

Sam's club has the best price in this area on prescription .
Respected Contributor

Thank you for the tip about GoodRx.com. I bookmarked it.

Super Contributor

Check out Walgreens. They have a Prescription Savings Club - it is $20 a year and well worth every penny. For me, it pays for itself easily with one prescription. I believe on Walgreens website you can find a list of what is covered if you join this club and at what tier. It has saved me a tremendous amount of money over the past two years.

Respected Contributor

My son, who aged out of my health and prescription coverage, has to take certain medications that are costly. One meds runs $168 a month and that's at Costco with the member discount. I also have the Walgreen prescription saver and the cost is higher than Costco. Recently, his doctor told him about Goodrx.com and we typed in his meds to see what the cost would be at local pharmacies. All the places were in about the same range, give or take, but Walgreens came up with an amount of $40. When I called Walgreen's earlier I was told $158...BUT when I showed them the coupon on my phone for the same meds for $40..they typed the code in and it was accepted. So, with over a $100 savings on one meds...I'm convinced Goodrx.com is the way to go. It certainly can't hurt checking the prices..as all the places you would go are listed anyway with the prices for the drug.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!