Trusted Contributor

Re: Medicare and Shingrix ??

I have Medicare and plan D.  My shingle shots were fully covered.

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

@Shelbelle   Ours payed for most of it.  If you can, do get the shots.  Money well spent as my husband can attest.  He had shingles and is still suffering with neuralgia paid approx. 1.5 years after his outbreak.  So, beg, borrow or steal the cost.  

ITA to get the shot, I did get the older one in 2013. It is not the money just so annoyed that you pay for all these insurances and still end up with bills. Hope your hubby is over this very soon. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have Part A and Part B plus BCBS; both Shingrix shots were completely covered. Btw, in the eleven years I've been on Medicare I've never paid a penny for anything.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Hello, does Medicare pay for Shingrix in full, and for both doses, many thanks. 

They paid mine in full, but I do have a second policy, so  don't know if it was paid by both. I didn't pay anything.

Regular Contributor

I too had to pay a small fortune for the two shots.  I do consider it money well spent.

However, it burns me that traditional Medicare doesn't cover the things that Seniors need like eye glasses, dental and hearing aids.

Yes, you can add a supplemental policy but most of them are financially prohibitive.

I have a supplemental that pays for hardly anything.  And, my Part D has such a high deductible that I get better prices from Good Rx.

Respected Contributor

It is not covered in full.  Depends on coverage.  I had to pay $51 and my husbands was $74.  I have AARP Plan and my husb has an Advantage plan.

Respected Contributor

I am 62, so not on Medicare yet. I had Shingle in July 2019. I was lucky enough to get the Shingrix vaccine X 2 though my work insurance. I had no co-pay. I was very surprised, but I have the "gold" plan from work with BCBS. My old insurance did not cover it. After having Shingles on my face, I agree with the person who posted to beg, borrow or steal to get the vaccine. 

Trusted Contributor

@hick A supplement is just that - it pays for the difference that Medicare does not pay for.  If something is not covered by Medicare the supplement does not pay for it.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie :  Off topic, but it is nice to see you again.  

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom   I spend most of my summer months at our summer place at the lake.  It is difficult to get internet service in the area.  

Thanks for your kind words.