Super Contributor

Medical Grade Compression Socks

I was recently diagnosed with an acute extensive blood clot in my thigh and calf. I'm on blood thinner now.    My vascular surgeon's office recommended that I wear 20-30 mmHg compression socks.  My insurance won't pay for them.  I purchased a knee high pair of Sigvaris brand at my local medical supply store to the tune of $75 out the door!  I really need more than one pair and my doctor said that thigh highs would benefit me.  

My doctor didn't recommend a specific brand and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a  more economical , comfortable option.  

Thanks for any recommendations.

Honored Contributor

Re: Medical Grade Compression Socks

[ Edited ]

Did your doctor write a Rx for your compression stockings? If so then Medicare may cover them.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Did your doctor write a Rx for your compression stockings? If so then Medicare may cover them.

I'm 3.5 years from being eligible for medicare.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Respected Contributor

Amazon sells all kinds of compression socks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lavenderfields wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm 3.5 years from being eligible for medicare.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

You will still need a Rx from your doctor for your health insurance to cover the compression stockings. If the stockings are deemed a medical necessity then it should be covered.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most all compression stockings need to be replaced every 6 months. They lose their compresssion over time. They also need to be washed daily and should not be worn longer than a day between washings. 

I wear compression socks everyday b/c of a side effect from my medication causes my legs to swell. It's not a medical necessity for me to wear them but it's because of discomfort. I wear JOBST brand and they have to be short length for petites. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've purchased compression hose from a website called discount surgical.  

If you have never worn compression hose before, be advised that it can turn into a real wrestling match, trying to get them on.  I highly recommended getting the open toe/toeless version.  Put a baggie over your foot and work the sock over your foot and up your calf.  When it's in place, pull the toe end of the sock up over your foot to remove the baggie and then readjust the sock back onto your foot. 

Honored Contributor

@lavenderfields.  Everytime I need such medical supplies, my doctor writes a prescription, i take it to the medical supply store, they give me the product and bill my insurance.   I've never paid a penny.

I can't imagine your doctor sent you off to get the stocking without a prescription.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I have worn Sigvaris knee highs 20-30 (with silicone band so they don't slip down) for years.  They work and I find them very comfortable.  I buy them online at foryourlegsdotcom.  I pay for them myself.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BklynKinsey 

Thank you for posting that site info. They also seem to have the same JOBST open toe thigh length compression socks on Amazon. Price was very close to the For Your Legs sale price.

I am going to try these soon. I have knee high compression socks now, but when they need to be replaced, I will be ordering thigh high. I will be wearing under my running pants.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."