Honored Contributor

Does anyone know if it would be ok to put a cloth mask over an N95 mask or would you not be able to breathe? A friend just gave me the N95 mask Monday, and I had been going to order a cloth mask and still might.  I have been wearing the disposable ones.

I just thought the cloth one would look nice and since I have the other one now wondered if I could wear both together.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Regular Contributor

I would NOT wear 2 masks together. Forget vanity. It'a about safety.

Esteemed Contributor

Crazy idea ........if you like to breath

Honored Contributor

That is what I thought LOL

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

Does anyone know if it would be ok to put a cloth mask over an N95 mask or would you not be able to breathe? A friend just gave me the N95 mask and I had been going to order a cloth mask and still might.  I just thought the cloth one would look nice and since I have the other one now wondered if I could wear both together.

I have seen interviews done in hospitals recently. There were many medical personnel, both doctors and nurses, wearing disposeable masks over N95 masks. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

Does anyone know if it would be ok to put a cloth mask over an N95 mask or would you not be able to breathe? A friend just gave me the N95 mask and I had been going to order a cloth mask and still might.  I just thought the cloth one would look nice and since I have the other one now wondered if I could wear both together.

I have seen interviews done in hospitals recently. There were many medical personnel, both doctors and nurses, wearing disposeable masks over N95 masks. 

I also saw some wearing both when I watched the CBS 7 Days on the Front Line.

Valued Contributor

Actually this is why people were making cloth masks to donate to hospital workers. Nurses and doctors can extend the life of their scarce N95 masks by wearing a cloth mask over them. It helps keep them clean and dry.
I have done this. It's not hard to breath because an N95 projects out and over your mouth and nose so you have more space for air.

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I do that all the time to extend the life of the N95. In the hospital, the workers sometime wear 3.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

The more masks you can wear, the better.  Smiley Indifferent

Honored Contributor
There is no need to wear two masks if you have the N95; it alone will do.