Contributor

I was just hoping to hear from some of you with regards to your mammograms.

On Sep 13 I had a screening mammogram after more than 2 weeks I still hadn't received a letter with my results.  They told me a week and I should have my letter, so I called my doctor's office and was told I needed an ultrasound.  Today I went back and was told my order was "messed up" and I needed a follow up mammogram but no ultrasound.  Which was confusing, but ok, because I thought I would get the results from today's test while there.  I was told I would receive a report and would be told nothing of the results today, even though she said the radiologist was present and looked at the images.

So, this was my first call back and I've tried not to worry or stress, but sometimes that's hard to do.   Anyway, is this the norm?  Thanks for anyway willing to share their thoughts on this.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't say it's the norm, but certainly not unusual and needing second mammogram or additional test happens frequently.

I've never gotten my results in a day or two, even when someone is there reading film. 

Honored Contributor

@GabbyAnn About not getting test results, that was my experience. I got called back which scares the heck out of you and went for a second mammogram and then was ushered into an ultrasound. She then told me someone may be coming to talk to me. 

Instead, the tech came back alone and told me to go home. My doctor would call me at some point with results. It was the day before Thanksgiving and I can't tell you what a miserable holiday that was. 

If you have an online health portal, keep checking it. I finally saw my report for myself on Sunday morning that I was completely fine. Just cysts. Why someone couldn't just tell me that and let me exhale, I will never know. It was so traumatic that I refused to go back after a third callback a few years later.  

Don't do that. Go get the second exam and get the all clear which is what it is the majority of the time. I've been stressed out twice over nothing and refused a third go round but more importantly their refusal to remember that they're dealing with human beings is just unacceptable. If you have something, odds are someone will say something day of was my sense. If they make you wait, that's a great sign.

I am so sorry this is happening. Oh and someone finally did call and make it official a week later that the report only showed cysts. Get that online portal access. It's the fastest way to know you're good.

Honored Contributor

@GabbyAnn   I have had several call backs...I have always waited 2-4 days for the results...even on call backs.

If where you are going does not 'feel right',  I'd find another location to have the tests.  I would get concerned when told things got 'messed up'.  Trust your gut.

I've had several call backs, two biopsies and a lumpectomy, all came back negative.  Try to be positve until you have to worry.

Contributor

It's been a long nearly month now.  Unfortunately, our hospital has opened a new section where my Dr is and the patient portal isn't working now.  Honestly, this whole thing has been a mess.  The patient portal is usually what I rely on, but I've been about 3 weeks trying to get logged back in.  They just say they're having trouble and to try again.  I like to read my medical records myself.  I may not understand all the medical language, but I can usually understand enough to know how things are looking.  Thank you so much for replying!

Respected Contributor

Sorry this has been your experience. It's really inconsiderate.

I suggest all women look into thermography instead. Not only is it painless but it catches issues much sooner than mammography.

Honored Contributor

I have been called back to get a 2nd mammogram.  I think the radiologist just looks at it enough to tell if it's a good pic, not the way one would if they were examining it for something out of the ordinary.  

I have also been called back to have an ultrasound and then a biopsy.  Of course that waiting period between getting the ultrasound and the biopsy is maddening. You want it done NOW, but had to wait, don't remember how long.  Everythiing came out fine, fibroadenoma.  Dr. said I have lumpy breasts.  Apparently it can be a little painful because he said I could eliminate this, that, and caffeine (chocolate) from my diet to deal with it.  I said no thanks.  I'll just have lumpy little breasts.

Respected Contributor

They are not doing a good job of getting back to you. I have had breast cancer, only found by having a mammogram, so stick with it and keep calling them until you get all the information you need.  

Also, beware of using thermography- it's just an infra red camera and not recommended as a stand alone test for diagnosing breast cancer per the FDA.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/fda-warns-thermography-should-not-be-used-...

Respected Contributor

@GabbyAnn 

I have always gotten same day or next day results.  It's not a matter of waiting for them to call, I can either call them (which I have numerous times) or I have looked online with my provider.

Being called back is no big deal.  Sometimes I swear they do it for the insurance or there might be something that they want to look at a little closer.

Ultrasounds are often common too after a second call back.

Don't stress, just be happy someone is concerned and want to see more but you should really be proactive and call immediately.

Do you know that there is really a high percentage of women that have NOT had one mammogram.  Seriously, ask the nurses that perform the mammograms, they usually have the stats.  Now that really surprised me.  Now they are saying every 3 years, sorry, I go every year and haven't missed a year ever.

Esteemed Contributor

I went to this one place and waited 3 weeks for the first results only to find out I needed to have an ultrasound. They would not see me for 5 weeks. That was unacceptable so I went somewhere else within a few days and found out it was just a cyst.