Honored Contributor

Urgent Fullei Bean and Soy Sprouts recall. Possible Listeria contamination.

[ Edited ]

Urgent Bean and Soy Sprout Recall. Listeria. 

"Fullei Fresh conventional bean sprouts are sold in 5 lb bulk, 10 lb bulk and 8 oz retail packs. Organic bean sprouts are sold in 5 lb bulk and 4 oz retail packs. Soy sprouts are sold in 5 lb bulk and 10 lb bulk. The lot numbers are printed on the retail packs and on bulk cardboard boxes in the barcode (the last 3 digits.) Pictures are attached." Quoted from the FDA page for this recall. More details can be found on the page.

Thre FDA is using the word 'urgent' in the title of this recall. I'm uncertain as to why. I thought maybe the word was part of the name of the company involved in the recall. 

DEB04A8B-AB1C-4BFF-8C50-1CA7B494C9C9.jpeg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjj0-yC_bnzAhUhl3IEHX2ECjMQ...

Valued Contributor

Re: Urgent Fullei Bean and Soy Sprouts recall. Possible Listeria contamination.

Thank you @Mindy D for posting all the RECALLS. It will be missed...Heart

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

I saw a blurb on the internet a few weeks ago that caught my eye. 

It was something like "the one vegetable you should never eat raw".    Of course, I had to check it out. 

The answer was sprouts .... because they can often have very high bacteria counts that aren't removed with rinsing and can make you sick.  It went on to say that bean sprouts should be cooked if you wish to eat them.   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 @Yes, sprouts. They are notorious for bacterial contamination. I used to grow my own in my refrigerator many years ago. Most Chinese food sprouts are cooked at high heat. At least the cooking provides some protection against some  illnesses.  I grew the type of sprouts, alfalfa, that are usually eaten to raw, with an avocado sandwich. Contaminated  raw sprouts have a greater chance of making you sick.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 @Yes, sprouts. They are notorious for bacterial contamination. I used to grow my own in my refrigerator many years ago. Most Chinese food sprouts are cooked at high heat. At least the cooking provides some protection against some  illnesses.  I grew the type of sprouts, alfalfa, that are usually eaten to raw, with an avocado sandwich. Contaminated  raw sprouts have a greater chance of making you sick.

@Mindy D 

Wow, I forgot about those sandwiches!  Yum!   Well, these days, I pretty much only have bean sprouts in my order of Chicken Pad Thai at my favorite Thai restaurant.  Which I have't visited lately.   Hmm....

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 @Have them cooked.

Honored Contributor

I once contracted a case of ecoli from raw beansprouts.  Bloody diarrhea is main symptom, that should be enough to scare the daylights out of you.