Honored Contributor

I retired 7/1 and went onto Medicare. Apparently, that went seamlessly. BUT trying to get my prescriptions filled is another story. My Insurance Agent recommended AARP/Walgreens for my prescriptions. I had always used whatever mail order pharmacy was associated with my health insurance and never have a problem. My prescription were filled and delivered within about 3-5 days.

I expected the same with Walgreens. OH MY, was I wrong. I have been trying to get 4 prescriptions filled since July 5. And so far I have received 1 prescription. There are 2 prescriptions that said there were "being processed" for the last week and a half. And 1 prescription they have no record. My Doctor has sent the missing prescription in 3 times.

Tonight I went into my status and they said they were going to cancel the 2 prescriptions that they were "Processing" unless I wrote and told them Walgreens could fill the prescription. Why  would my Doctor bother to send in the prescriptions unless they were to be filled.

I can not believe how long this is taking and how they have no record of a prescription that was sent 3 times.

Glad I retired - gives me time to straighten out this mess.

Respected Contributor

Re: Mail Order Prescriptions

@drizzellla wrote:

I retired 7/1 and went onto Medicare. Apparently, that went seamlessly. BUT trying to get my prescriptions filled is another story. My Insurance Agent recommended AARP/Walgreens for my prescriptions. I had always used whatever mail order pharmacy was associated with my health insurance and never have a problem. My prescription were filled and delivered within about 3-5 days.

I expected the same with Walgreens. OH MY, was I wrong. I have been trying to get 4 prescriptions filled since July 5. And so far I have received 1 prescription. There are 2 prescriptions that said there were "being processed" for the last week and a half. And 1 prescription they have no record. My Doctor has sent the missing prescription in 3 times.

Tonight I went into my status and they said they were going to cancel the 2 prescriptions that they were "Processing" unless I wrote and told them Walgreens could fill the prescription. Why  would my Doctor bother to send in the prescriptions unless they were to be filled.

I can not believe how long this is taking and how they have no record of a prescription that was sent 3 times.

Glad I retired - gives me time to straighten out this mess.

How timely!

My insurance company (BC/BS through the Notsoaffordable Health Care Act) has been Walgreens.  I also manage my 89 year old Dad's mail away meds which is Walgreens through Prime Mail.  We used to have Caremark mail away.

The lag time is at least a week longer than it used to be.  I have always allowed enough time to re-order but, this has really been cutting it close and I am uncomfortable with this.

Esteemed Contributor

We have Express Scripts and I love it.  Everything is done by them.  They contact the doctor for refills and send e-mails, letting us know when our Rx is being mailed out.   They make it so easy.

Respected Contributor

I went with OptumRx through AARP when I retired.  I use their mail order service and have not had any problems.  Delivery of meds is very quick.  Like Express Scripts, they do everything for me - contact the doctors for refills, call when I need to reorder, send emails when meds ship, etc.  I am very satisfied with their service.  

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Honored Contributor

This is exactly why I will never do mail order prescriptions. I wouldn't save enough money to be worth the stress and uncertainty. I have Silverscript/Caremark/CVS and they have enough issues (like anyone else) that I don't need to add mail order into the mix.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

We have Express Scripts and I love it.  Everything is done by them.  They contact the doctor for refills and send e-mails, letting us know when our Rx is being mailed out.   They make it so easy.

I used Express Scripts and Cignas mail order. I did not have to do a thing. The Doctor sent in the prescriptions and I received them. They sent out the prescriptions automatically. That is why I have no idea why Walgreens has sent 1 prescription in a month's time. And I am still trying to get 3 more. 

Trusted Contributor

I have Express Scripts too and am pleased with it. I like that they fill prescriptions for 3 months where when I deal with the local drugstore, they give me a month at a time. They're especially good for expensive scripts.

Valued Contributor

Took a friend Saturday to pick up a script at CVS.  They were told their insurance would no longer pay a drug store for maintenance drugs, had to be mail order. 

They could pay full price themselves (which wasn't much) this time.

My problem with this is, our mail is completely untrustworthy.  Smashed packages, lid not closed properly, and mail delivered to the wrong address. 

Plus, they make it extemely difficult to contact them either by phone or on the internet.

I am with United Health and they send letters saying I could save this much using mail order.  So, it is probably just a matter of time.

I asked the Tech if the insurers were trying to put CVS out of business.  He smirked and said yes.

I will say I have had several issues with CVS, but I can go there, they know me and they have fixed most things.  Plus, they answer the phone.

Honored Contributor

Walgreens you can have a chat on the computer. But they are no help. I was just told "They have no record" of the prescription. And they cut off the chat. So that is why my Doctor has sent the prescription in 3 times. And so far there is no record of the prescription.

Esteemed Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

I have Express Scripts too and am pleased with it. I like that they fill prescriptions for 3 months where when I deal with the local drugstore, they give me a month at a time. They're especially good for expensive scripts.

@wishmoon  I forgot about the 3 month at a time.  Also, we have no co-pay and all my Rx are generic.  My husband has one medication that is "Brand" and he pays $20 every 3 months.

ETA:  I take thyroid meds and I don't use Express Scripts for that because I want/need them from the same drug co. (Mylan).  I get those at my local Publix.  I don't know if Express Scripts would be trusted to use the same drug co. for the thyroid pills.  I think the cost is under $4.......