Honored Contributor

Re: Mail Order Prescriptions

@jbinrwc wrote:

I went with OptumRx through AARP when I retired.  I use their mail order service and have not had any problems.  Delivery of meds is very quick.  Like Express Scripts, they do everything for me - contact the doctors for refills, call when I need to reorder, send emails when meds ship, etc.  I am very satisfied with their service.  

My insurance recently switched from Caremark to OptumRx and so far I'm very impressed with their efficiency, much more so than Caremark. 

Funny story about Walgreens.... I recently saw a new doctor and his assistant mistakenly called in a prescription for me to Walgreens instead of OptumRx.  The cost at Walgreens was well over $150., I canceled that and got it from mail order for less than $5.  I've always found Walgreens to be the most expensive, least efficient option. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Express Scripts was okay for BP pills and things that can wait a while because you get them in quantity so you have a year's supply but my husband's insulin and my antibiotics that I take for maintenance and his heart medicine was a nightmare and way over-charged us.

Walgreen in one store locally was good but in another was horrible.  

We had CVS before and for years, never a glitch.  Perfect.  The most perfect business I ever dealt with and then Zap! it was taken away from us in favor of these two disasters.  I cannot wait for 15 months for antibiotics.  

Trusted Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

@wishmoon wrote:

I have Express Scripts too and am pleased with it. I like that they fill prescriptions for 3 months where when I deal with the local drugstore, they give me a month at a time. They're especially good for expensive scripts.

@wishmoon  I forgot about the 3 month at a time.  Also, we have no co-pay and all my Rx are generic.  My husband has one medication that is "Brand" and he pays $20 every 3 months.

ETA:  I take thyroid meds and I don't use Express Scripts for that because I want/need them from the same drug co. (Mylan).  I get those at my local Publix.  I don't know if Express Scripts would be trusted to use the same drug co. for the thyroid pills.  I think the cost is under $4.......

Why not call them and speak to one of the pharmacists and ask them if they can get them from Mylan? Three months at a time is a big convenience, even though I'm in the drugstore all the time picking up stuff!

Honored Contributor

For those who are saying you can only get one month at a time from local pharmacies, this is not true.  I fill all my prescriptions at CVS locally, and they are 90-day prescriptions.  I also pick up my father's prescriptions locally, and they are all 90 days as well.

Also, someone mentioned waiting a while to get a prescription for an antibiotic.  You're never supposed to order something like that from mail order.  Anything you need immediately it is suggested you get that locally.  That's in the literature from the mail order companies.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

When I was on a RX drug, I had it mailed to me from Wmart. Then one day, while trying to place another order for the same drug, Wmart told me that they were no longer mailing out their drugs and that I would have to come to their pharmacy to pick them up. For me that is was not a big deal because I could still get the 3-month discount at their counter and my Wmart is only five minutes from me.

Honored Contributor

I got a notification today from Walgreen's. They are going to send out 2 of my prescriptions "as soon as possible". Yippee! On August 5th it will be a month since the first set of prescriptions were sent in.

Still no record of my 4th prescription that my Doctor sent 3 times. 

PS These are not controlled substances. They are medications for thyroid, blood pressure and cholesterol.

Honored Contributor

OH - they are trying to drive me crazy! Walgreens just emailed me and the heading for the email was they might cancel my prescriptions.

They said I had to give them permission to fill the Doctor's prescriptions. I sent the permission via email yesterday. That is why Walgreens said earlier today they were going to send the prescriptions out as soon as possible.  Now over an hour later I get the email stating they might cancel.

This is getting ridiculous. I am going to go to the Doctors office and get paper prescriptions. And also call and see if I can go to another pharmacy. 

Trusted Contributor

@jbinrwc I totally agree about the efficiency of Optum RX.  Dh and I have used them for 15 years and never had a problem.  They are great at responding to inquiries also.  Mail delivery has never been an issue.

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

We have Express Scripts and I love it.  Everything is done by them.  They contact the doctor for refills and send e-mails, letting us know when our Rx is being mailed out.   They make it so easy.

I'm not so happy with Express Scripts. I just wish I could go to my local drug store to get my meds filled. Express Scrips screwed up with a delivery of two of my meds. It was their fault and they admitted that. BUT I am out one refill now. Every time I personally call them for them to replace that one script, they refill and not replace. So by the end of the year I'll be short a refill. Grrr! I'm still going round and round with them. As I said I wish my BCBS would just let me go to my local drug store to get my meds/refills, I really dislike mail order meds.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

DH does not mail order his meds, CVS manages his, they call (A LOT) when a script is ready.  We really don' like he notifications but can seem to get them stopped.