Occasional Contributor

I'm so sorry your doctor made you feel that you are the only one with this problem. I'm glad you are changing doctors. I have extreme claustrophobia and years ago when I had breast cancer I needed many MRIs. My doctor had a shot ready and waiting for me at the hospital. I don't know what was in it but I was dizzy when they took me in there and then, all of a sudden, I was done! It was the only way I could have had it done. There are many, many people who have this and your doctor shouldn't have made you feel bad. I hope you find a more understanding doctor and talk about options for you. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor
I have had several over the years. Yes, all in the tube. Fortunately, I was prescribed something to relax me which definitely helped. I wore headphones, listening to my favorite oldies, kept my eyes shut, and clutched the panic button. The techs were great. They paused the music periodically to talk to me and to remind me to breathe. It seemed to take forever, but, I did manage. I wish you all the best!
Honored Contributor
I could offer a lot of suggestions, but they wouldn't be much different than what others have had to say. I do not quite understand why your doctor would not give you the medication that you need to be successful at having this procedure. While I have had many MRI's, so many CAT scans I can't even count the number and I've never had any issues with this. It might be better if you do change orthopedic doctors, I can't imagine any of my orthopedic doctor friends that would not do what is necessary to accommodate their patient. Hopefully you can get this problem taken care of without having too much trauma.
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
I had a MRI a few months ago in a new hospital with a new machine. It was for my lower back so I went all the way in. When I opened my eyes I observed the ceiling was treated in such a way that you couldn't tell how far away it was. It could have been inches or it could have been 1,000ft. It was remarkable. My only problem was that my right hand got so hot I was sure it was burning. I told the operator and he said to move it as I was creating a "loop". I readjusted the position of my hand and was fine.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I actually had the opposite happen. A year ago I had to have a Cat Scan with Radioactive Dye.

20 Years ago I had several of these, and several tests that produced no reaction from me except laying there and doing it... And these tests went on for twice as long as normal as I kept coughing and ruining them and they had to start over. I have never been claustrophic nor have I ever had panic attacks. I was a 2nd Degree Black Belt and have taught classes and fought in tournaments. I have never panicked. In fact, I get calmer.

Well, they infused the dye and about 30 minutes later I was taken to the Cat Scan. As they started the test and I laid there starting to have the photos taken I had a huge panic attack! This isn't just a little "fear"... this is a full blown fight or flight attack. I was a 2nd Degree Black Belt and know how to calm myself. I couldn't... It didn't work and there was nothing I could do about it .... I bellowed for them to stop the Scan while I scrambled off the table. I shook (literally SHOOK) FOR NEARLY AN HOUR afterwards.

No one tells you that this can be a reaction to the dye in your system. I found this out from "another doctor" treating me, and then I tried to find out as much info as I could about it.

From then on (Nov 2013) I had two more full blown attacks (not quite as bad as the first) and many "feelings" of being trapped. Some at night, waking me up. Going to the Dentist was postponed, couldn't stand the thought of being worked on and "having" to sit there, trapped not being able to leave. Certain choker necklaces were no longer tolerated. Other "thoughts" would start the "feeling" but then it would cease. I now can think of all those things and not get the "feeling" of being trapped. I think it's over.

My doctor told me (at the time) that they can give people with this condition a sedative. I am sure what your doctor told you is wrong. There are many people with this condition that need these tests and simply can't have them done without relaxing them. I since had a Stress Test instead (no picnic) but I was fine with it (and results were great)....

But let me reiterate that Panic Attacks are no mind over matter problem. If it were, I would have been able to control it. There doesn't seem to be much empathy over what happens to someone when this occurs. Even the Tech doing the test (who's seen a few of these) simply didn't understand and told me that I needed to calm down and just "get it done"..... because we were going to be charged for the test anyway. (As though I cared at the time).... or had any control over it.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor
On 2/2/2015 GoodStuff said:

Your situation is not unusual; quite a few people are claustrophobic and find it difficult to go into an MRI machine. First of all, there are open MRI machines where the MRI is done in an open-sided machine, and you don't have to go "into the tunnel". Sometimes it's harder to get good pictures from an open MRI, especially from some body sites. If this is the case and your doctor doesn't want to go with an open MRI, he should be able to give you a stronger tranquilizer to keep you calm. You shouldn't need to be totally anesthetized to have an MRI procedures. There are many anti-anxiety meds besides Ativan -- Valium, Xanax, and more. I'm not sure why you're experiencing claustrophobia for a knee MRI, though. I've had one, and you simply have to put your knee into the machine -- not your head or the rest of your body. Do you find this frightening?

I think you need to re read the OPs comments.

Contributor

You say that you tried Ativan. I too, am claustrophobic and have had several MRI's for back problems. First of all, you have to get the largest MRI machine, the wide bore machine. Don't let them tell you it is large--research it for yourself. Search your whole regional area for the best machine. Secondly, you have to have enough Ativan to do it. I take four (4), yes, four (4) of them to get in it, starting 2 hours before. Drs. hesitate to give you that much but it was this or nothing. Believe me, if I could do this, you can. They haven't tried hard enough with you. I totally understand. I dread the MRI more than surgery.

Trusted Contributor
I also have a terrible time doing MRI'S. But, no problem with my knee. because they put me in feet first, so my entire upper body was out in the open,hence,no problem!!!!!
Respected Contributor

I am the same way. Here is what they did for me:

1. Put a cloth (not transparent) over my face

2. Gave me headphones with music

3. Gave me a panic button control

4. Checked on me every few minutes to see if I was ok

I SURVIVED!!!

Honored Contributor
I must have a closed MRI of my head every three months; the open ones do not produce the clarity and detail required . My dr. prescribed 1 mg Xanax tabs prior to the MRI ; I take 1/2 a tab a couple of hrs prior to the procedure; I can take the other 1/2 an hr before but haven't needed it most of the time. I know the OP is not alone in finding the closed MRI to be unnerving....and. I would find a new dr for sure if he told her that she's the only patient who has these issues.....