Respected Contributor
On 2/2/2015 GoodStuff said:

Your situation is not unusual; quite a few people are claustrophobic and find it difficult to go into an MRI machine. First of all, there are open MRI machines where the MRI is done in an open-sided machine, and you don't have to go "into the tunnel". Sometimes it's harder to get good pictures from an open MRI, especially from some body sites. If this is the case and your doctor doesn't want to go with an open MRI, he should be able to give you a stronger tranquilizer to keep you calm. You shouldn't need to be totally anesthetized to have an MRI procedures. There are many anti-anxiety meds besides Ativan -- Valium, Xanax, and more. I'm not sure why you're experiencing claustrophobia for a knee MRI, though. I've had one, and you simply have to put your knee into the machine -- not your head or the rest of your body. Do you find this frightening?

Well said. I had an MRI of my knee last year. The worst part for me was the fact I could barely hold my knee in the same position because of the pain. I had two meniscal tears. However, the machine goes up to your lower chest area and although I personally am not claustrophobic, I can see where it could be a challenge. Try having a nuclear medicine scan for your parathyroid. Even I got a little chill when it was 2" from my entire head!

Better living through chemistry.

Honored Contributor

Sorry you have this issue. I share your fear of tight places and have had several "tunnel" MRI's for migraine diagnosis. My sessions were 90 minutes long. I was offered medication, but had a class to teach afterward and so declined.

This is how I got through:

1. The tech's blindfold me (this is not an unusual practice)

2. They gave me a head phone, every time the machine shifts focus there is a pause, during which the techs would speak to me through the head phone and ask if I was OK, and tell me how much time was left. Could not have music because the focus was on my head, so the thumping was in my head.

3. They gave me an emergency panic button on a long cord which I clutched it in my hand the whole time. It helped lots just knowing I could get out if I couldn't stand any more, thankfully it was not necessary.

Very best wishes for a good outcome.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I always have to have an open MRI, also. Before they had open MRIs, I had to take an anti-anxiety pill. Now with the open MRI, they will offer a choice of music, will put a washcloth over your eyes, or let you watch a taped TV show/movie,etc. I have had all these done at different times and they did help. Watching the TV show was probably the best because you had to put on goggles so you could not see the machine as it related to your body and could not hear anything because of the volume of the TV show. They try to make you feel as comfortable as possible.

I hope you are able to relax enough to get this done.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Contributor

I am just going through this now...this will be my second attempt at an open MRI, which by the way, is really not that open...not to a claustrophobic! I am going to follow ALL and ANY suggestions from those that have gone before me....take some medication such as Valium shortly before, take my husband into the room with me to talk to me, and wear over my eyes, the nice little coverings that are used for sleeping in flight or in light rooms, etc. Put this in place before being placed in to the MRI, therefor, not seeing going into machine and also, not tempted to open eyes during. Best of luck to all , including myself!!

Respected Contributor

A co-worker said to keep your eyes closed as soon as you are on your way and keep them closed until you are done. This trick helped my mother when she had an MRI.

Honored Contributor

I have recently had to undergo a lot of CATs and MRIs. Let the doctor know so he can give you something. Also take an Ipod for music or listening to those you love, etc. I have to undergo radiation treatments in this same contraption for 1-2 hours x5 days. I am not looking forward to it and I have asthma which means I normally have trouble lying flat if I am anxious. I understand what you are going through. I will think of you, all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

I have trouble as well, open or closed. In my case it is the noise. I get vertigo at times even without the MRI. So the MRI just adds to the fun. The last time I went in I put happy thoughts in my head and was able to work with it. Also some centers provide music to listen to. I imagine if you think you can do it.... you can. Think positive. It will be over.

Valued Contributor

I understand your concern. Please don't use alcohol before your MRI!

Do you think it would be worth a visit to your physician explaining your issues? Perhaps they would be more inclined to prescribe something more helpful. You will need someone to drive you.

I have had one. I was all of the way in the tube. I wasn't sure when I got there that I would be able to go through with it. However, the techs told me that they, of course, would let me out if I got too uncomfortable. They just eased me in, I put on the headphones, closed my eyes and sort did some deep breathing....in through the nose, out through the mouth. I did relax and did fine. They are following a cyst on my kidney on an annual basis and I told myself I had to know what was going on with this cyst and that I would have to gut it out!! I just put the importance of the procedure over my fear.

Good Luck...

Contributor

I had to have an MRI for a head injury I had at work. I was not able to have a regular MRI, so I found a place that had a stand up MRI that took about two weeks for me to get the appointment, but it was worth it. I also have claustrophobia when it comes to MRI'S.

Honored Contributor
On 2/2/2015 bonnielu said:

I have trouble as well, open or closed. In my case it is the noise. I get vertigo at times even without the MRI. So the MRI just adds to the fun. The last time I went in I put happy thoughts in my head and was able to work with it. Also some centers provide music to listen to. I imagine if you think you can do it.... you can. Think positive. It will be over.

They have ear plugs at most facilities that completely drown the noise out or take an ipod.