Trusted Contributor

How much do you take a day? What do you put the powder into?   Once or twice a day... how soon to see results?

I know this is a sensitive subject  but enough people deal with constipation that I hope it will help someone else as well as myself. Thanx for sharing! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

My teenage daughter needs Miralax from time to time. She uses a cap full or whatever the adult dosage is and likes to mix it with juice like apple. She likes to mix it with something with flavor as opposed to water, it's easier for her to drink that way. I'd say it probably takes about 8 hours or overnight to work on her. She takes just one dose a day when she needs it. If she needs, she may take for a couple of days in a row. Her doctor said that was okay to do.

Contributor

I have IBS with constipation.  I take 2 capfuls every day.  I always mix it with some type of juice, never water.  Even though it doesn't have a flavor, it's just easier for me to take that way.  If you are just beginning, it could take up to 3-4 days for it to work.

Honored Contributor

I take Miralax also, although it does sometimes take a while to work.  However, doc told me it's the safest thing to take.  Right now I'm eating a pear to try and rush this along.  I'm always a little worried that I will get really blocked up.  If nothing happens today, I will eat shredded wheat tonight.  I can't let it go for more than a day or two more though without taking something stronger.

I find it tastes exactly the same as water, so I don't add anything to it.

Good luck!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

My husband does 2 teaspoons in a glass of juice, or Gatorade, once a day.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My husband does 2 teaspoons in a glass of juice, or Gatorade, once a day.   

RedTop, he takes it once a day every day or once a day until it works?  Then once it works, does he stop for a day or two? 

I've had constipation problems for years and there have been times that I've had to stay home or rearrange my day because I was waiting for whatever I took to work.  Very inconvenient.  I've heard that Miralax and Smooth Move take a long time to work and infact, if it takes to long (to Ford's point, can't remember new nick right now) you end up taking something else anyway.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Re: MIRALAX users

[ Edited ]

To clarify, my husband only doses once a day until it works, which has always been before the end of the second day.   Most laxatives require extra fluid in the system to work quickly, and since my husband drinks far more fluid than needed every day, he usually sees quick results.   He rarely needs to resort to laxative use.   

Honored Contributor

Re: MIRALAX users

[ Edited ]

With my extremely tight and tiny budget, I get it in RX form ('polyethylene glycol') from the pharmacy.

It comes in a big plastic bottle with a measuring cap (take 17 grams once or twice a day), and I just mix it into hot tea.

I've found that it blends in much better when stirred into a warm or hot beverage.

Since it's a long generic name, I just call it "poop powder".  ;-)

Contributor

I've taken Miralax and stool softeners because I also suffer from constipation due to thyroid disease (Hashimoto's).  This summer while traveling, there was a breakfast buffet where we were staying.  I tried Activia for the very first time and trust me, this yogurt works.  When we came home, I went straight to the store and have taken Activia everyday since.  I no longer suffer from constipation.  Yipppeeee!

Honored Contributor

@receptionist wrote:

I've taken Miralax and stool softeners because I also suffer from constipation due to thyroid disease (Hashimoto's).  This summer while traveling, there was a breakfast buffet where we were staying.  I tried Activia for the very first time and trust me, this yogurt works.  When we came home, I went straight to the store and have taken Activia everyday since.  I no longer suffer from constipation.  Yipppeeee!

Wow!  Activa doesn't do that for me.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)