Respected Contributor

I did Atkins and lost weight, missed carbs and gained the weight back then some. Do you really think you can spend the rest of your life without bread? I am on Weight Watchers, I eat anything that I want but track it and I have lost 47 pounds. I eat a sandwich for lunch daily but I use whole grain bread. WW by far is the easiest best program I have been on. The reality is we have to face all foods daily and make smart choices but to live without a food, that you love, forever I think is setting myself up for failure. So I am sticking to  WW. By the way, I think what you are doing is just fine, the whole grains and fruit. You will get full on the fiber and not eat so much. 

Respected Contributor

One other thing that I thought of, I was watching a trainer on TV and he said "no one has ever got fat by eating fruit". He is correct, the fiber in the fruit will fill you up. On WW, fruit is free. I think what sets one up for failure is deprivation of a food, and not eating enough to satisfy oneself. Now that I found WW I will always have what I want in moderation, count points and I will be ok. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  Dr Weil is very very over weight? I think you are wrong. 

Trusted Contributor

Smiley Sad

It's a shame that this topic always turns into a nasty dispute. Just keep in mind, that the health care industry is a business, a very profitable one at that. An apple a day doesn't fit in the picture.

Everyone stay  healthy, and have a good weekend!

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@sidsmom  Dr Weil is very very over weight? I think you are wrong. 

He looks like Santa.Andrew Weil.JPG

Respected Contributor

One other thing that I thought of, I was watching a trainer on TV and he said "no one has ever got fat by eating fruit". He is correct, the fiber in the fruit will fill you up. On WW, fruit is free. I think what sets one up for failure is deprivation of a food, and not eating enough to satisfy oneself. Now that I found WW I will always have what I want in moderation, count points and I will be ok. 

Respected Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I did Atkins and lost weight, missed carbs and gained the weight back then some. Do you really think you can spend the rest of your life without bread? I am on Weight Watchers, I eat anything that I want but track it and I have lost 47 pounds. I eat a sandwich for lunch daily but I use whole grain bread. WW by far is the easiest best program I have been on. The reality is we have to face all foods daily and make smart choices but to live without a food, that you love, forever I think is setting myself up for failure. So I am sticking to  WW. By the way, I think what you are doing is just fine, the whole grains and fruit. You will get full on the fiber and not eat so much. 

@conlt - Congrats on your weight loss.  My daughter is doing WW and has lost 30 pounds so far.  Because I have arthritis I'm trying to eat a non-inflammatory diet which consists of whole grains and fruits.  But, that raises the carb count so it gets difficult.  I'm just trying to balance what I eat for health and weight loss.

Respected Contributor

Re: Low Carb Diet Question

[ Edited ]

@Winkk wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

I like to eat fruit every day.  I make sure to eat a lot of fiber to counteract the carbs from the fruit. 

I kind of have my own way of eating.  LOL

I do stay away from simple carbs and try to eat complex carbs. 

@bri20 - Do you mind me asking what type of fiber you eat to counter the fruit carbs?

I eat oatmeal every morning.  It's not instant oatmeal.  It's the kind that needs to cook or 5 minutes.  I always add fresh berries, half a banana, and usually some prunes or dried cranberries, some almonds - it depends what I have a taste for. 

I eat a lot of nuts and grains.  I eat beans and lentils, peas, and salads, and a lot of fresh vegetables.

Last night for dinner, I had a grilled chicken breast with some lemon squeezed on it, steamed green beans, asparagus, and half of a roasted sweet potato. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

@conlt

I'm glad that WW works for you.  

Personally, I rarely eat bread .... having a sandwich once a month would be a LOT for me.   

Not only do we need to manage our health with proper foods, but personal taste preferences is just as important.   If weight loss was simple ... or easy .... we'd all be at our ideal weight.

Honored Contributor

Re: Low Carb Diet Question

[ Edited ]

@bri20, 

I eat oatmeal every morning.  It's not instant oatmeal.  It's the kind that needs to cook or 5 minutes.  I always add fresh berries, half a banana, and usually some prunes or dried cranberries, some almonds - it depends what I have a taste for. 

I eat a lot of nuts and grains.  I eat beans and lentils, peas, and salads, and a lot of fresh vegetables.

Last night for dinner, I had a grilled chicken breast with some lemon squeezed on it, steamed green beans, asparagus, and half of a roasted sweet potato. 

You sound so healthy! Good job!!