Honored Contributor

@SaRina  WOW some great suggestions to try to incorporate! Thanks so much!

Respected Contributor

You're very welcome @SeaMaiden. I should add, doing these things should not present any problem for a person in good health. If you have any medical issues, please check with your doc or a nutritionist to make sure it won't exacerbate any condition.

Honored Contributor

Re: Losing 10 pounds

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden

How long or how many miles one walks/jogs or runs, is not the key to maximizing the time spent exercising, of any type. Nobody other than competitive athletes should exercise to exhaustion. Like "pain thresholds", exhaustion is a term that varies with each individual. How do you measure "exhaustion"?

Unless you have some sort of underlying metabolism issue, losing "fat" does not mean starvation or exhaustion. Unless you have had a very accurate body composition test(not calipers or a BMI reading), how do you know that this 10# you are seeking to lose is fat? Answer! You don't.

How do you measure your body's exercise workload while exercising? As you probably know, the human body acclimates to doing the same thing over and over again, even moreso when it comes a Cardiovascular and Pulmonary systems.

Don't care what type of cardio a person does, unless the workload(measured)is increased as the body acclimates to repetitive type exercises? For most, their hoped for progress decreases or stays the same. Do the same? Expect the same, not more.

Oxygen IN Carbon Dioxide OUT is the measure of one's physical fitness level. Oxygen Intake means little if the body's capability of using all of it and expelling it as Carbon Dioxide is how Max Vo2 levels(physical fitness level) is what explicitly tells one their TRUE Fitness Level.

Unless one is in competition, how far/how fast or how long one exercises, is not how one's physical fitness is, or should be measured. Few, even in the Medical Field(I exclude those Certified in Sports Medicine) understands these proven facts.

Now, read and absorb.      =^..^=

E.T.A. One does not need to exercise longer or eat less to achieve their goals. The key is to eat and exercise smarter.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

You might try strength training to build some muscle since we lose muscle mass as we age.  Muscle burns more calories than fat and should help your metabolism overall. 

Otherwise, I don't know what else you can do since you've covered all the bases. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

'....limit starch...'

That's the problem.  Starch, in particular Potatoes, are v.e.r.y filling with little calories.  They naturally heal gut flora to make losing a few pounds effortless.

I know I talk about potatoes via the plant-based route.

But today?  Let's go the Paleo route.

Paleo people are embracing the Potato via The Potato Hack, 

a movement/book written by Tim Steele.  3-5 days of nothing

but potatoes...and everyone has lost weight, reset the metabolism

and discovered potatoes aren't the evil carb the Public has deemed. 

If you Google, 'marks daily apple potato hack'...there's tons of

info.  

Potatoes are cheap, very assessible...just try nothing but potatoes

for 3-5 days. Love the potato!

Respected Contributor

Agree about limit starches--anything white especially sugar, potatoes, rice, any bread. Just did this and lost 15 pounds.

Honored Contributor

Re: Losing 10 pounds

[ Edited ]

Are you overweight @SeaMaiden by ten pounds? If you aren't, you will probably lose in every place BUT your stomach. I weighed in at 122 this morning and I am 5'8. I do not have a flat stomach, no matter how much lower I go. It is just where I put on any excess fat since menopause. I would do cool sculpting if I was in better health and not on blood thinners. My girlfriend had it done recently and it worked for her.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Are you overweight @SeaMaiden by ten pounds? If you aren't, you will probably lose in every place BUT your stomach. I weighed in at 122 this morning and I am 5'8. I do not have a flat stomach, no matter how much lower I go. It is just where I put on any excess fat since menopause.

---------------------------

This is me too. I'm thin but things have "shifted".

Honored Contributor

Are you sure you need to lose 10lbs?  When we are young, we can lose weight because we "want to" but as we age that becomes harder if not impossible.  Yo yo pounds really aren't about being hungery at all.  In fact, dieting today is not about being starvation diets and being hungry and feeling deprived.  That's old school stuff.  If you HAVE to lose 10lbs, I would suggest Weight Watchers.  You can do it online now for about $5 a week and WW is still the healthiest plan around for weight loss.  If you just WANT to lose 10lbs, you'll have to go extreme like fruits, veggies and lean protein for a 4-6 weeks.  But chances are if you aren't working out like a demon, you'll gain that 10lbs back.  

Honored Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Are you overweight @SeaMaiden by ten pounds? If you aren't, you will probably lose in every place BUT your stomach. I weighed in at 122 this morning and I am 5'8. I do not have a flat stomach, no matter how much lower I go. It is just where I put on any excess fat since menopause.

---------------------------

This is me too. I'm thin but things have "shifted".

@tucsongal. I am also 5'8" tall.....I weigh 141 this morning.....  I wear a size 6/8 right now.  I would like to weigh 131- 135.  

You must be very slender as when I weighed in at 122  three years ago and was wearing a size 2  after all my joint replacement surgeries I looked too thin for my frame or build.  I had no fat on my body at all and  I did not have belly.    I got the belly the  last two years.  Not from eating wrong, there was just a shift in my metabolism.  And the added pounds....  At least that is what I think.....  I also think that getting so thin after my surgeries did something to make gaining the weight back easier.