Honored Contributor

Re: Lexapro....Anyone Ever Use This?

There are so many drugs that cause insomnia which can be extremely frustrating when you need to take medication.

Frequent Contributor

@bootsanne ...First let me say that I am truly sorry for all that you are going through. It is understandable that you are overwhelmed and experiencing  stress and anxiety. I'm glad that you reached out for help and disussed these issues with you PCP and NP. I am neither a nurse or a doctor, but I have been under treatment for clinical depression and general anxiety disorder for seven years. I have taken and continue to take several types of medications....and over time have experienced major positive benefits from them. It's not important to share what i have taken since no one medication will work for everyone. I agree that you should discuss your concerns about the prescription you were given thoroughly with your medical team. As has been mentioned, anti anxiety/ anti-depressant meds take weeks to reach a level where your feel an improvement in your mood.

A few important things everyone should be aware of:

1) Many prescription sleep medications are addictive and not intended for long term use. 

2) No one should attempt to wean themselves off any mood altering medication by themselves. The process should be monitored by your physician. Failure to do so can be dangerous.

I encourage you to find a licensed clinical therapist to talk with on a regular schedule....they're support can be invaluable. You've experienced much loss....I hope you find the help that you need.  Many prayers going out for you.

Respected Contributor

@bootsanne   I can only speak for myself, Bootsanne, but Lexapro has been a godsend to me.  I take the generic (escitalopram), 10 mg.  Never had side effects.  I encourage you to speak with your nurse practitioner about your concerns.  Wishing you the best -- please take care of YOU, while you're taking care of others!

Valued Contributor

I have 3 friends on Lexapro, 2 women, and one man. All have said it changed their lives dramatically for the better. 

One, my best friend, became very depressed, understandably, following the passing of her mother and brother within just a few months of each other. She said finally talking to her doctor was the best move she could have made. I asked her about insomnia and she said she has experienced no side effects. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

j@bootsanne I took them for a long time, and my experience taught me that you (and I) are entitled to choose the best tools we can access to make our lives more manageable when they spin out of control.

According to research, the combination of medication and talk therapy is most effective for most people, so consider that as you mount your campaign to manage your present difficulties.

If you have access to a medical person whom you trust completely, ask them for some names of psychiatrists to help you find THE BEST medication FOR YOU, AND ALSO ask for their suggestions for competent and compassionate therapists.

KNOW that whether you find them online or in a social group or a therapist’s office that you ALWAYS have people who will support and encourage you. It will give you strength to examine your environment and find them.

Here’s hoping that you find something today, no matter how small, that allows you to smile, no matter how briefly. Sometimes small flashes of sunshine become GREAT MOTIVATORS in your battle against depressive illness.

SOMEONE will be sending you positive and empowering thoughts today, and that will be ME. I bet there will be many others.

Trusted Contributor

I had used Lexapro for years, but it made me gain weight over time.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@bootsanne wrote:

Over the last 5 years, my husband and I have lost 6 members of the family, several close wonderful neighbors have died suddenly, one only 35, countless problems around the house and the most stressful, he has had one ailment after another.  Spinal stenosis, sciatica, carpal tunnel surgery, cataract surgery, InfluenzaB twice and the worst, double pneumonia most of December.  I am stressed to the max.  During his hospitalization in December I was also sick and during a doctor's visit, he prescribed Lexapro 10mg.  

Since I'm the one doing 95% of everything around the house plus 100% of the driving, I've been afraid to take this medication.  Does anybody have any experience with this antidepressant?  I know everyone can have a different reaction, but I've been really stressed and my insomnia is even worse.

Take it with dinner.  It's not going to make you tired or anything after the first day or two (if it ever does).  

Lexapro 10mg is a low dose anti-depressant, anti-anxiety medication. It can take trying different medications or doses to find what works for you. And it sounds to me like you could use it given all you've had going on.  

You don't have to be on it forever.  But it might help take the edge off while you deal with everything.  You won't notice any difference for a couple of weeks as it has to builld up in your system.  

Honored Contributor

I take Lexipro and have no problem.  When your brain goes through extreme anxiety for a prolong period of time, less endorphins are made.  Lexipro takes up for that loss.  We lost our 19 yr. old son in an accident a month after Christmas.

Being highly intuitive, I had seen the "loss", not the accident, when I was 10.  At that time I had applied it to myself of course, not even able to imagine being an adult much less a mother.

Lecipro just takes off the "edge" where you don't get upset with little things.  It makes me "even".  I have no problems.

Esteemed Contributor

@bootsanne no shame in taking lexapro.  Sleeping pills are addictive, lexapro is not.  In my personal experience, I was confused and sleepless before taking lexapro.  I am better and sleeping well, thanks to the lexapro.There are sideffects, but I am better than i was.  i don't drive, so i can't tell you about that.  i commute with public transportation. If you start taking it, please monitor your symptoms and see the doctor for follow-up.  i dont think it's the type of thing you have to take forever, but you do need to take it every day.  I am so sorry about your situation.  wishing you good health.

Honored Contributor

@bootsanne  I have been taking Lexapro for almost 20 years.  It is the best anti-depressant for me.  I could not take Zoloft (did nothing) Effexor, Paxil and Prozac because they stopped working for me.  Everyone has different body chemistry but don't be afraid of it.  When you take it, you should not experience anything but feeling normal.  Good luck to you and take care of yourself.  Doctors usually know best.

kindness is strength