Esteemed Contributor

I am currently looking for a dental plan and would appreciate any information on which direction to take.  There are so many plans to choose from and I am looking but I sure can use some help.  I'm open to suggestions and thank you in advance for your input. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

Re: LOOKING FOR A DENTAL PLAN

I don't really have an answer for you @Lindsays Grandma but since I retired and using Medicare I don't have a dental plan.  I researched them at the time but did not find any that were worth while.  I thought the monthly payments were too high and most of them you have to use the dentist in that plan.  I've used the same dentist for over 30 years and I'm not dropping him. 

I just keep my fingers crossed that I have a good check up. 

Honored Contributor

Once my DH went on Medicare he lost our dental plan, he took a private plan with Met Life, cleanings are free and they pay 70% of work done, so far it has worked out well. There are a few other stipulations like a max they will pay out in one year, but very easy to see it laid out on their website.

Honored Contributor

I'm on Medicare and have given up looking for a dental plan.  Most of them have high monthly fees, a waiting period, an annual maximum, etc. etc.  I found a dentist who gives a 15% discount to seniors, has reasonable fees and hopefully is honest and competent.  I'm hoping for the best!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

I am currently looking for a dental plan and would appreciate any information on which direction to take.  There are so many plans to choose from and I am looking but I sure can use some help.  I'm open to suggestions and thank you in advance for your input. Heart

@Lindsays Grandma

Do you mean insurance?  If not, you can go online and get a good discount dental plan.  I use Carington (1Dental).  It provides good discounts on all dental procedures.  Of course you have to pay the discounted price in cash . . . or get a loan from Care Credit (no finance charge if you pay it off in 24 months), but the final cost is much less than what you may have to pay for an insurance policy which usually has a large deductible and limits how many procedures you can have in one year. 

Re the discount plans, you have to find a dentist who also participates in the plan.  But more and more of them are doing so.  These discount plans are very cheap . . . it costs me $129 a year for me and my daughter.  Last year, I saved several thousand dollars and had both my top and bottom bridges replaced.  My daughter had work done also.

Just look up "discount dental plans" on Google.  

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

I believe my parents took out MetLife after my dad retired. It's around $100 month. My mom has teeth that have fillings and she has them break easy. So far it's pretty much paid for itself since she has had a couple dental issues.

Contributor

lilactree, iam so so glad you posted this dental info, I too am retired and on medicare with no dental,  lots of times we travel to mex. about once or twice a yr. for services & that's a 4 hr drive. As I looked over Careington  it sounds like a real deal, prices even seem to be the same as in mexico. It would be great just to go to a local dentist. Is there anything that is a negative for you about the company or services? If you have anything to add, please post, Iam serously considering joining. And, thanks again. I love these boards!!

Honored Contributor

The plan my DH has from Met Life is about $375 per year.

Honored Contributor

I would suggest searching the Delta Dental site and looking at their plans. For individuals, there are three plans.

There is probably no dentist anywhere, who takes insurance at all, that doesn’t take Delta.

Two of their plans are the standard type, with deductibles, co-pays, waiting periods and yearly maximums. Most people would want one of these plans, as it’s most dentists, and if you have the “average mouth” you probably wouldn’t be out of pocket very much.

The Delta Care USA plan is different. You must go to a dentist who accepts that particular plan, not the other Delta insurance; not all that many do, especially in smaller towns. There is no waiting period for any work, as there is with regular plans.  There are set fees per procedure, not percentages, i.e, a denture can only cost you $800 and you won’t have to pay anything above that. The yearly premium is about $135-$150 and you are well covered. But the downside is that you really won’t have a choice of dentist - it’s a trade-off - good, cheap, no-waiting coverage, but little choice of dentist.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

When I retired, I was able to stay on the same MetLife group dental plan that my former employer offered to the active employees & I'd had for many years.  I now pay the premium myself, but it's the same amount the co. paid before & still pays for the active folks.  It costs me about $30 a month.