Honored Contributor

Re: Knee Replacements

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla   knees hurt for many reasons.  Does not mean you need a knee replacement.  Many people have issues with their knees off and on as they age, many never need a total knee replacement.  It could just be you strained your knee somehow... it could be some inflammation.  If your discomfort continues for months... I would bring it up with your primary care doctor and go from there.  Have some Xrays done etc.  Sometimes people have shots or have  PT which can help in relieving the pain in many cases. And sometimes that  just does not work well  and  you resort to other things.. the final being total knee replacement. 

My knees started to bother me at  about age 45... it progressed to being severe pain that I struggled with for many years.  to the point I bought crutches to use to get around as otherwise I could not walk the pain was so bad.  At age 58 I had both knees replaced.  I had no cartilage left and the bones were chipped.

Hopefully in the future they will be able to grow cartilage from your own stem cells and put that back into the knee  and help many people  rather than them having to have knee replacement surgery... but that is a in the future.... For me knee replacement was the answer as there was no other avenue to fix my knees.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks - I started wearing  my Vionic sandals. No difference. Then I wore a pair of New Balance, I just bought.  No difference. You brought up an excellent point..

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

You may want to check your shoes for wear. I work a job that requires walking on hard surfaces 8 hrs/day, and recently started to feel knee pain.  Lo and behold, I had worn down the shoes quite a bit where I strike the ground.  New shoes fixed it.

(I've had a hip replacement, BTW, FWIW.)