Honored Contributor

After two months of waiting for this appointment and dreading it, once the dermatologist (a young lady) came into the room, it lasted for about 15 minutes.  She was not very friendly, but not unfriendly . . . just extremely professional and quick.  She observed my body in less than a minute. 

I have many benign keratoses, but except for the one on my temple, she did not remove them (freezing).  She excised two small moles/skin tags on my neck.  And that was it.  She said if I don't hear anything that means they are benign and she didn't expect they would be anything else.  She shook my hand and said "have a nice day," and left.  It's not as though there were many people in the waiting room, there was one.

Even my daughter who was in the waiting room was surprised.  She assumed I had to make another appointment for whatever procedures had to be done.  When I told her everything was already done, she just said "wow." 

Not that I'm not happy that these growths I have worried about are unimportant, but I was taken aback by the speed with which it was all done and all while I was just sitting in a chair.

This is a highly respected practice with six dermatologists.

Have any of you had this experience?  Do you think I should get a second opinion?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Absolutely .... I have said my whole life I never want to be told ..."

If only you had come in sooner ...we could have done something ....

BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY ....

Esteemed Contributor

Second opinion on what?  She said if you did not hear anything, that all was okay.  I am sure they are going to send them into a lab for testing. She was quick and efficient, and not so friendly.  Be glad you are done with it and don't think about it again.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

As my husband often says "  50% of all doctors graduate in the lower

half of their class ....

Respected Contributor

I had my dad at the dermatologist's offfice 2 months ago for removal of a basal call CA on his nose.  At the initial visit, the Nurse Practitioner (who came highly recommended to use) asked if my dad wanted a full body check.  He said, "of course".  She checked EVERYTHING including in between his fingers and toes.

She then scheduled the excision of the white spot on his nose. He had 13 sutures inside and out.  He had 2 postop visits.  She recommended he be checked every six months.

So, his first visit was probably about 15-20 minutes but, she was quite thorough.

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree  Maybe I missed a thread where you brought up your concerns about this visit and I missed it.  Have you ever had this type of check up before?  If so, how does it compare?  I am taking away from this post that you feel she didn't take enough time with you.  Did she miss parts of your body?  It sounds like she isn't an agreessive "burner" of spots.  Some are, some aren't.  If they don't feel they are "something" they won't burn them because I assume insurance doesn't cover it.  You must have had a feeling of dissatisfaction while the exam was going on.  It is too bad you didn't ask a few questions while she was in the room so that you could have come away from this being something that can be checked off the list.  If you are going to worry about this, it would be better to either, call the office and speak with someone (I know that this is easier said than done) or get a second opinion.  Insurance may not pay for that. 

It is frustrating to wait so long for an appointment and have it not go as hoped for. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

If you don't feel good/postive about how the appointment went then go to another practice for a full check/second opinion.  Sometimes our "gut" feeling could be right.

Respected Contributor

I see the PA at our dermatologist's office and she spends about 20 minutes examining every nook, cranny, crevice, opening and surface of the body, and I do mean all.

She never fails to find something that needs to be biopsied, sprayed or removed.

I live in a sun filled part of the country, so I appreciate this thorough exam.

Valued Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

After two months of waiting for this appointment and dreading it, once the dermatologist (a young lady) came into the room, it lasted for about 15 minutes.  She was not very friendly, but not unfriendly . . . just extremely professional and quick.  She observed my body in less than a minute. 

I have many benign keratoses, but except for the one on my temple, she did not remove them (freezing).  She excised two small moles/skin tags on my neck.  And that was it.  She said if I don't hear anything that means they are benign and she didn't expect they would be anything else.  She shook my hand and said "have a nice day," and left.  It's not as though there were many people in the waiting room, there was one.

Even my daughter who was in the waiting room was surprised.  She assumed I had to make another appointment for whatever procedures had to be done.  When I told her everything was already done, she just said "wow." 

Not that I'm not happy that these growths I have worried about are unimportant, but I was taken aback by the speed with which it was all done and all while I was just sitting in a chair.

This is a highly respected practice with six dermatologists.

Have any of you had this experience?  Do you think I should get a second opinion?

Second opinion for what?

Exactly what did this young professional doctor in this highly respected practice do wrong?  

Valued Contributor

Re: Dermatologist visit

[ Edited ]

@Big Joanie wrote:

As my husband often says "  50% of all doctors graduate in the lower

half of their class ....

50% of all Rhodes Scholars are in the lower half.

Doesn't mean they're failures or deserve contempt.