Honored Contributor

Just a heads up....I read about CARMIE's keto experience in another thread.  I don't know how she followed the plan, but it's caused me to believe some reminders are in order for those of us who are living the keto WOE.

*  Pink Himalayan Salt - your body (heart) will need more salt now to maintain good heart function.  Don't use regular table salt.  You want the Pink Himalayan because there are better minerals in it.  Salt your food, put a pinch in a glass of water.

*  If you aren't getting enough of the minerals from salt, you might want to consider taking a good electrolyte supplement (flavored powder you mix in water).  Some people think a Gatorade or Propel is fine, but I've read they are barely OK.

*  Speaking of water, drink A LOT!  Have your coffee and your tea, but always have your water within reach.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Just a heads up....I read about CARMIE's keto experience in another thread.  I don't know how she followed the plan, but it's caused me to believe some reminders are in order for those of us who are living the keto WOE.

*  Pink Himalayan Salt - your body (heart) will need more salt now to maintain good heart function.  Don't use regular table salt.  You want the Pink Himalayan because there are better minerals in it.  Salt your food, put a pinch in a glass of water.

*  If you aren't getting enough of the minerals from salt, you might want to consider taking a good electrolyte supplement (flavored powder you mix in water).  Some people think a Gatorade or Propel is fine, but I've read they are barely OK.

*  Speaking of water, drink A LOT!  Have your coffee and your tea, but always have your water within reach.

Redmond salt is good, too.  I found it at Whole Foods.  It came in a pouch.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

You are so right, I have never drank so much water in my life. I look at other people and can’t beleive how much I drink compared to them. Salt is a must and I am so liberal with it. The Himalayan stuff is great.

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch That's a great reminder about getting enough salt and electrolytes along with drinking enough water.  It's very easy to become deficient in some minerals when you're eating keto as it's easier to become dehydrated with the lack of carbs.  There are some very good powdered sugar free supplements that you can find on Amazon.

@tansy I love Redmond Real Salt.  Started using it years ago when I first started using Himalayan Pink salt.  I like that it's from the US and I don't have to worry if it's legit.

Super Contributor

Hey Hi !  Glad I found this thread.  Been Keto since 1/2/19. Lost 86 pounds .  My tips , keep it simple , keep it strick. Those two things are magic together . Keep food cost down and weight loss consistent.  I am 53 , hot flashes gone , night sweats gone. I suffered w both terrible , so much so my doctor gave me an antidepressant whose side effect stopped hot flashes, ya no thanks ... anyway I learned as I went along.  Fasting happened organically & and so did clean eating .  Couple of huge wins .. u ready get this ,,,NOT hungry.  Feeling fantastic.. my diet consists of protein, healthy fats and leafy greens .... Keto on 

Honored Contributor

Having company for dinner this weekend so I decided to make cheesecake for dessert.  Found it in an online search.  Any notes are the author's, not mine.  

Low Carb Cheesecake Recipe - Sugar-Free Keto Cheesecake

A gluten-free, low carb cheesecake recipe that's EASY to make with only 8 ingredients and 10 minutes prep time. This sugar-free keto cheesecake tastes just like the real thing - delicious!

Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
Servings 16 slices

Ingredients
Almond Flour Cheesecake Crust
2 cups Blanched almond flour
1/3 cup Butter (measured solid, then melted)
3 tbsp Erythritol (granular or powdered works fine)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
Keto Cheesecake Filling
32 oz Cream cheese (softened)
1 1/4 cup Powdered erythritol (erythritol must be powdered; can also use powdered monk fruit sweetener)
3 large Egg
1 tbsp Lemon juice
1 tsp Vanilla extract

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Grease a 9 in (23 cm) springform pan (or you can line the bottom with parchment paper).
To make the almond flour cheesecake crust, stir the almond flour, melted butter, erythritol, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl, until well combined. The dough will be slightly crumbly. Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until barely golden. Let cool at least 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese and powdered sweetener together at low to medium speed until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Finally, beat in the lemon juice and vanilla extract. (Keep the mixer at low to medium the whole time; too high speed will introduce too many air bubbles, which we don't want.)
Pour the filling into the pan over the crust. Smooth the top with a spatula (use a pastry spatula for a smoother top if you have one).
Bake for about 45-55 minutes, until the center is almost set, but still jiggly.
Remove the cheesecake from the oven. If the edges are stuck to the pan, run a knife around the edge (don't remove the springform edge yet). Cool in the pan on the counter to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight), until completely set. (Do not try to remove the cake from the pan before chilling.)

Serve with fresh raspberry sauce if desired.*

Recipe Notes
To make optional raspberry sauce, simmer 1 cup fresh raspberries with 2 tablespoons water and sweetener to taste, for 5-10 minutes, breaking the berries with a spatula. Add additional water to thin out to your liking.
There has been some confusion about carb counts. Two things to watch for:
Erythritol is not included in carb count because it does not get metabolized. Most calculators like MFP do not know to exclude it.
The official USDA database lists cream cheese as 1.56g of carbs per ounce. Some product labels may round this up or down, but it's actually the same for any full-fat cream cheese regardless of brand. Some calculators round this up to 2g per ounce, which can account for a big difference when extrapolating to the 32 oz needed for this low carb cheesecake recipe.
Serving size: 1 slice (1/16 of recipe)

Nutrition Information Per Serving
Calories: 325 | Fat: 31g | Total Carbs: 6g | Net Carbs: 5g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 7g

Super Contributor
5 days in and I’m doing and feeling great! My body does feel so much better....much less bloat, and I don’t end my day feeling so full and lethargic. My muscles and joints feel better, too. I did wake up yesterday feeling a little fuzzy and weak and sweaty. I knew instantly that I was dehydrated. And maybe a touch of that “keto flu”? I admittedly didn’t drink much the day before (and I’m notorious for being dehydrated.) So I popped 2 Perfect Keto electrolyte capsules and drank 24 oz of water with a pinch of salt. I was back to my old self and feeling great within 20 minutes. I proceeded to drink lots of water all day. So my tip for the day.....STAY HYDRATED!!!
Honored Contributor

Snack tips:

Learn to like unsweetened items.  It's easy once you get used to it.

Dried seaweed has only 1 carb per 1 1/2 sheets.

Image result for gimme dried seaweed sheet in package

Dill pickles are about 1 gram per ounce (portion of a pickle). This is, just for reference, the Vlasic brand, which I'm assuming is available nationwide.   Individual brands will vary. Personally, I'd look for something without artificial ingredients like food coloring.

Image result for dill pickles nutrition

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Keto Sharing

[ Edited ]

u@GingerPeach wrote:

Snack tips:

Learn to like unsweetened items.  It's easy once you get used to it.

Dried seaweed has only 1 carb per 1 1/2 sheets.

Image result for gimme dried seaweed sheet in package

Dill pickles are about 1 gram per ounce (portion of a pickle). This is, just for reference, the Vlasic brand, which I'm assuming is available nationwide.   Individual brands will vary. Personally, I'd look for something without artificial ingredients like food coloring.

Image result for dill pickles nutrition

I like to spread cream cheese on a slice of ham lunch meat and wrap it around a pickle spear.  Also, drink the pickle juice if you have cramping or need help with your electrolytes.  

Honored Contributor

I like the pickle plain and organic, too.  I never eat lunch meat or ham, and am doing my best to cut down on dairy.  Dairy is one of those food groups that is very tasty.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.