Respected Contributor

Re: KETO diet plans

[ Edited ]

I suspect many of the Keto fans are actually on sort of a modified Keto diet instead of a strict one.

The internist I was seeing for years for annual checkups before moving out of state just always left me with these words.........."Watch your carb intake." 

Well, I have been limiting carbs (and ALL sweets, which I don't even like) for decades.

Don't see a need for following some strict Keto regime or for cutting out any one food group.

My only question to that doctor was whether my tendency to only eat about every 12 hours or only once on some days was actually causing metabolism to slow down.  She assured me that this "intermittent fasting" was not harmful in any way.  Have no idea whether she was correct.

I wasn't "fasting" on purpose........just don't get hungry several times a day.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I suspect many of the Keto fans are actually on sort of a modified Keto diet instead of a strict one.

And in some ways, that could be WORSE than 100% Keto.

Mixing large amounts of fat AND carbohydrates....metabolic nightmare.

Just cut down the fat to 10-15%....and magic happens.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

Clint Carter needs to do more research about what this diet actually is and the research supporting it especially in terms of brain health. 

To say it is high fat, low protein and nothing else is ridiculous.  It's high unsaturated fat like olive oil not bacon or cheese which are saturated, lots of vegetables and some protein usually in the form of seafood not beef which again is saturated aka the Mediterranean diet.

And to say there is no evidence about brain health is beyond poor journalism.  The brain does not prefer sugar and milk chocolate and ice cream are not health foods.  The brain uses sugar primarily because it's a cheaper, faster way to get energy and more readily available because of the poor way most of us eat. The body doesn't make ketones is you're constantly eating carbs and sugar.  At least he got that part right.  

The reason Alzheimer's is called Type 3 diabetes is because the brain does not like sugar as a primary fuel source.  You are eroding your neural pathways in much the same way you are eroding your arteries and causing yourself high cholesterol and heart disease with the plaques your body makes to try and repair the damage and decreasing your insulin sensitivity (hello type 2 diabetes) as well.   

AARP should be ashamed of this type of article.  A modicum of research would have at least balanced it out a bit and given a clearer more correct picture. 

And one last caveat about MCT oil.  If you are at genetic risk for Alzheimers meaning you know you have the APOE4 gene or even if you don't know and just have a family history, do NOT take MCT oil. 

It actually becomes a risk factor for those people with APOE4 because again it is a saturated fat.  It is only recommended by the top Alzheimer's researchers as a crutch to get you into ketosis initially but should be rapidly elimninated since APOE4 peeps do not clear out saturated fat well hence the success with keto in people with neurological diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's and MS.

And June was my one year anniversary of intermittent fasting using the 8 hour eating window every day.  Easiest and most effective thing I have ever done for my weight and my health.      

@Laura14  There are many variations to a low carb lifestyle. Ours includes fats like bacon and plenty of meat. But we also eat eggs, fish, lots of salmon, tuna, pork, chicken and crab cakes! Smiley Very Happy

We eat salads about 5 days a week with lots of greens of kale, spinach, Romaine lettuce and other veggies.

Other particulars we follow...

Our coffee is with heavy whipping cream...no more Coffee-Mate or ID, or Bailey's creamer. The only dairy products we use now are heavy whipping cream, butter, sour cream and cheeses...no other dairy because of carbs.

I use avacado oil to cook/bake with...no more veg/canola oils. I also use butter and bacon grease to cook with too.

We don't use olive oil because we just don't like the taste. With avacado oil it's tasteless so it can be used in recipes to make baked goods too.

We bake with coconut or almond flour...no more white/wheat flour. We use certain sugar subsittutes that don't raise our blood sugar.

When we want to snack it's almonds, walnuts, cashews and pork rinds...a handful is great with a sandwich for something crunchy. I make sandwiches with sprouted flaxseed bread and no other breads. The brand we get we order from California and buy 6 loaves at a time and freeze them.

For our sweet tooth, DH has made wonderful biscotti using a recipe from KetoConnect and I have made chocolate chip cookies from their recipe too. When I don't feel like baking, we'll snag a pkg of FatSnax cookies from the freezer and we'll each have a cookie. If we were on the lower end of our carb count for the day, we'll splurge and each have our own pkg of 2 cookies...LOL  DH also makes fabulous ice cream using heavy whipping cream and erythritol...coffee with Lily's chocolate chips and blackberry ice cream are my faves!

We don't feel deprived whatsoever. We still have everything we always loved with just 3 exceptions of low/no current options...

1 - finding recipes for foods we enjoy but just made with different ingredients...just as yummy too. Like the chocolate chip cookies. We can't have Toll House Cookies anymore, but there are some great substitutes! DH makes awesome pizzas using carb balance Mission wraps, So. We haven't had a 'normal' pizza...either frozen or from a restaurant since last August and we don't even miss them!

2 - pasta is pretty much the only food that we miss once in a great while, but we have learned to live without it. Unfortunately there is no real good substitute for that type of food...yet.

3 - When we eat out now, it's at one of 3 places...Wendy's (they have perfect containers to order their bacon double cheese burgers w/o the bun), Jimmy Johns (they have a few great un-wiches) and Red Lobster because they have a nice selection of menu items that are low carb friendly.

If you get a chance, watch a 14 minute video on youtube about bacon:

Dr Ken Berry - Enjoy your bacon!

Respected Contributor

Great to hear all your success stories. I just want to add that I feel it's a myth that it's hard to maintain.  It's honestly the easist diet/lifestyle I've ever tried.  Once you get adapted to it all those side effects go away and you feel normal again. Eating out is not challenging, with a few exceptions.  We avoid Asian cuisine in general due to all the rice, cornstarch and sugar used in so many dishes. Mexican is also challenging so we avoid it (rice, beans, tortillas, margaritas). We find that restaurants are happy to comply with your request for things like leave off the potatoes, sub with some asparagus, no croutons in the salad, etc. They don't even question it. The only other thing I'll say is you must drink a lot of water on the keto diet to stay hydrated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Great to hear all your success stories. I just want to add that I feel it's a myth that it's hard to maintain.  It's honestly the easist diet/lifestyle I've ever tried.  Once you get adapted to it all those side effects go away and you feel normal again. Eating out is not challenging, with a few exceptions.  We avoid Asian cuisine in general due to all the rice, cornstarch and sugar used in so many dishes. Mexican is also challenging so we avoid it (rice, beans, tortillas, margaritas). We find that restaurants are happy to comply with your request for things like leave off the potatoes, sub with some asparagus, no croutons in the salad, etc. They don't even question it. The only other thing I'll say is you must drink a lot of water on the keto diet to stay hydrated.

@Grouchomarx  I totally agree with your post. I forgot that steakhouse restaurants are also a good option. For the most part, the Olive Garden is a pass...LOL Loved their shrimp alfredo & tour of Italy dinners...and oh that Tuscana soup! I made that at home for years using that restaurant copy cat recipe cookbook...sigh. But no more...still, all is good. Having a dinner at home with crab cakes and a great caesar salad with FatSnax lemon cookies for dessert is a great substitute Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I forogt in my last post, I wanted to share a great low carb discovery I made.  Tumaros low carb tortillas. They have many flavors.  The lowest carb is the multi grain at 3 net carbs (and 7 grams fiber which fills you up).  They taste exactly like normal flour tortillas, unlike some I've tried in the past.  They are amazing.  They are great for cold cut wraps, quesadillas, tacos, burritos.  I get them at my local Acme grocery store.  Mrs Greens also carries them.  They freeze well too so I always stock up.  They'ver really expanded the range of things I can make.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise   One of the brain researchers advocates what he calls Ketoflex which is no grains or any other carb like sugars and meat only as a condiment meaning very sparingly.  He would say no to tuna because of the high mercury but the 'flex' part is that you do what you need to do and feel good about.

I agree there are all kinds of healthy versions of keto as long as you keep the fat, for the most part, unsaturated like advocado. It depends on why you are doing it.  For me, my body doesn't process saturated fat well at all so I keep it cleaner. 

I have found a wonderful company that makes grain free, soy free, dairy free, nacho chips, taco shells and tortillas that are made with almond, coconut or cassava flours and they use avocado oil instead of the bad ones.  I swear I can not tell the difference between it and the regular items.  In fact, I have a shipment coming in this week to replenish.  LOL

Glad you are having such success.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I forogt in my last post, I wanted to share a great low carb discovery I made.  Tumaros low carb tortillas. They have many flavors.  The lowest carb is the multi grain at 3 net carbs (and 7 grams fiber which fills you up).  They taste exactly like normal flour tortillas, unlike some I've tried in the past.  They are amazing.  They are great for cold cut wraps, quesadillas, tacos, burritos.  I get them at my local Acme grocery store.  Mrs Greens also carries them.  They freeze well too so I always stock up.  They'ver really expanded the range of things I can make.

@Grouchomarx  That's a great option Smiley Happy

The Mission tortillia wraps  we get are the 'regular' carb balance 8 ct pkg with 6 net carbs each. We tried the multigrain option and we just didn't like the flavor. Mission also has a smaller wrap size that is only 4 carbs each, but we like the larger size better.

We allow ourselves 2 wraps each for meals. I'll make wraps using sliced peppers & onion fried/sauted in avacado oil til carmalized. Then I'll add a portion of a packet of Old El Paso taco seasoning and stir that in. Our meat is sliced chicken breast, steak or pork. DH will add some sour cream, cheddar cheese and jalapeno peppers to his wraps too.

As you mentioned, so many uses for them! We stick to mainly 3 uses though. Once in a great while I'll make breakfast burritos with scrambled eggs, cheese, and heat up and add some Jimmy Dean sausage crumbles.

As for pizza, DH makes 2 pizzas for each of us using 2 tortilla wraps each, Newman's sockarooni sauce, mozz & parm cheeses and pepperoni..and sometimes a handful of those JD sausage crumbles!. DH also adds jalapeno pepper slices on his...LOL He bakes them on a steel plate at the bottom of our oven to bake them and using parchment paper too. It helps make the wraps crispy around the edge and bottom like a real pizza.

The sprouted flaxseed bread bread we get is from Alvarado Street Bakery. The best part... For 2 slices: 100 calories & 16 'net' carbs. There is also a bonus...

This is the only bread we have eaten since September and we never get bored eating it...the bread is filling and delish!

We checked a LOT of breads and this was the only brand/type of bread that had the lowest carbs for 2 slices. I've read some carb counts on some and it equaled nearly the entire carb count for us in a day in just one slice...other breads I would have to cut one slice in half...LOL

So, it's very user friendly for making sandwiches. We also have well rounded brunches on the weekend...example is a couple of eggs, a cutie, one slice of this bread toasted with butter or almond butter and 2 jimmy dean patties or 2 slices of bacon. Sometimes instead of the toast and cutie I'll make waffles with Carbquick Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Fifteen months ago, I received a call from my doctor at 9:30 p.m. saying she had just gotten my test results from my checkup that morning.  My blood sugar was 387 and my a1c was 13.8.  That meant nothing to me as I had no family history, nor relatives with diabetes.  Not until she said for me to get back in to see her the next morning, because I was in the extremely dangerous range for a heart attack, did I become educated on my problem.  I researched everything I could and my research led to the Keto WOE (way of eating).  I have since lost 118 pounds and no longer take medication for arthritis.  I feel better than I EVER have.  My bad cholesterol is low and my good cholesterol is high, and my doctor is very happy with my numbers.  This has been the easiest weight loss journey I have ever been on.  I basically keep my carbs under 20 and no sugar.  I read nutritional on everything.  I have no problem in keeping it up and I find it rather enjoyable.   In my case, I feel like Keto is healthy and a completely easy WOE for me.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Susan Louise   One of the brain researchers advocates what he calls Ketoflex which is no grains or any other carb like sugars and meat only as a condiment meaning very sparingly.  He would say no to tuna because of the high mercury but the 'flex' part is that you do what you need to do and feel good about.

I agree there are all kinds of healthy versions of keto as long as you keep the fat, for the most part, unsaturated like advocado. It depends on why you are doing it.  For me, my body doesn't process saturated fat well at all so I keep it cleaner. 

I have found a wonderful company that makes grain free, soy free, dairy free, nacho chips, taco shells and tortillas that are made with almond, coconut or cassava flours and they use avocado oil instead of the bad ones.  I swear I can not tell the difference between it and the regular items.  In fact, I have a shipment coming in this week to replenish.  LOL

Glad you are having such success.  

@Laura14  would you mind sharing the company name/product? do you get it from Amazon??