Respected Contributor

Re: KETO diet plans

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise  would you mind sharing which online sites or cookbooks you use for recipes?  Thanks for posting some of the things you are eating...that is really helpful...I wanna try them soon!

Honored Contributor

Absolutely @tsavorite   I didn't realize I left them out.  It is called Siete.  You can get it through Amazon but I ordered direct through their website sietefoods.com.  Free two day shipping and no tax.  It's a couple bucks cheaper to go direct.   

Everything is grain free, dairy free, soy free and a lot of other things free.  Even the flavored chips are flavored naturally.  Nothing bad that I've found yet and I am very picky about taste and I love most of what I've tried. 

The tortillas wrap beautifully and I've frozen packs at a time, thawed in the fridge when needed and they come out very well.  So far, no complaints although I am not a fan of the lime chips.  They're okay but I prefer the sea salt and nacho and ranch. No salt is good too.   The lime just gets to me after a while but that's my taste buds and not the product.  

Honored Contributor

Forgot to add I found Siete in Whole Foods too.  My Whole Foods is a ways away from where I live so I got lazy and started just having it home delivered to save the road trip.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14  Awesome and thank you so much!!!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our son lost 100 lbs. in six months by following the keto diet and doing moderate exercise a few times a week.  Other extended family members have also had success doing it.  It takes some re-education about foods and making sense of it all because it can sound like the totally wrong thing to do but it works if you stick with it.  There is a difference between low carb and keto, there are not variations of either.  You are either doing one or doing the other.  Low carb is not a clean keto plan or modified keto plan, it's a low carb plan and the two shouldn't be mixed up.  The only exception I would make is that there is what is called clean keto and dirty keto. Clean keto is following the plan the way it's intended. Dirty keto would be going to a restaurant and asking for a burger w/o the bun but still eating the fries and drinking a Coke or a shake or tricking yourself that something is OK to eat when it's not. The premise of keto is essentially getting yourself into a state of ketosis (fat burning) and staying there by eating more fats and keeping the carb intake very low - some say no more than 20 grams daily, others say no more than 50. Once you start reading labels it's pretty shocking how many carbs are in everything.  It makes you look at food differently.  Even "cheat meals" are planned in advance.  Otherwise someone could find reasons to justify bad choices all the time.

DH and I recently wanted to start the keto plan and discovered that for the past few weeks we've actually been doing low carb.  There is a lot to learn and we're doing better now.  I've also included intermittent fasting this past week.  It's not terribly difficult to implement.   The biggest thing I miss is having a slice of something toasted (bread, bagel, English muffin) with my eggs.  We've been enjoying good salads with some kind of protein added, grilled meats and roasted veggies, delicious omelets.  Our fruits are limited to berries.  I enjoy some in my yogurt. I have learned how to make a keto pizza and it's very good.  Going to a restaurant isn't a big problem if you know what you are doing.  We had a late breakfast with some of our family last weekend.  DH and I each ordered omelets and passed on the potatoes and bread.  Well, I treated myself to half of a half of an English muffin.

Believe it or not, there are some cardiologists out there who recommend the keto plan.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Our son lost 100 lbs. in six months by following the keto diet and doing moderate exercise a few times a week.  Other extended family members have also had success doing it.  It takes some re-education about foods and making sense of it all because it can sound like the totally wrong thing to do but it works if you stick with it.  There is a difference between low carb and keto, there are not variations of either.  You are either doing one or doing the other.  Low carb is not a clean keto plan or modified keto plan, it's a low carb plan and the two shouldn't be mixed up.  The only exception I would make is that there is what is called clean keto and dirty keto. Clean keto is following the plan the way it's intended. Dirty keto would be going to a restaurant and asking for a burger w/o the bun but still eating the fries and drinking a Coke or a Shake or tricking yourself that something is OK to eat when it's not. The premise of keto is essentially getting yourself into a state of ketosis (fat burning) and staying there by eating more fats and keeping the carb intake very low - some say no more than 20 grams daily, others say no more than 50. Once you start reading labels it's pretty shocking how many carbs are in everything.  It makes you look at food differently.  Even "cheat meals" are planned in advance.  Otherwise someone could find reasons to justify bad choices all the time.

DH and I recently wanted to start the keto plan and discovered that for the past few weeks we've actually been doing low carb.  There is a lot to learn and we're doing better now.  I've also included intermittent fasting this past week.  It's not terribly difficult to implement.   The biggest thing I miss is having a slice of something toasted (bread, bagel, English muffin) with my eggs.  We've been enjoying good salads with some kind of protein added, grilled meats and roasted veggies, delicious omelets.  Our fruits are limited to berries.  I enjoy some in my yogurt. I have learned how to make a keto pizza and it's very good.  Going to a restaurant isn't a big problem if you know what you are doing.  We had a late breakfast with some of our family last weekend.  DH and I each ordered omelets and passed on the potatoes and bread.  We'll, I treated myself to half of a half of an English muffin.

Believe it or not, there are some cardiologists out ther who recommend the keto plan.

@JeanLouiseFinch   Of coarse there is a difference between 'low carb' and Keto. DH and I follow a very low carb lifestyle keeping our carb count daily between 50-70 a day. We try and keep it as close to 60 carbs as possible. Keto to some folks is 20 carbs a day...to others it's 30 or less.

That is just a smidge too restrictive for us...although we have had 'keto days' where we wound up having around 30 carbs in a day depending on our meals on any given day. We also make many 'keto' recipes.

@tsavorite  I posted lots of info about where we get some of our fave recipes in my OP in this thread (link below):

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/For-those-that-believe-in-low-fat-diets/m-p/5353543#M158055

The biscotti and chocolate chip cookie recipes we use are from KetoConnect...

There are countless recipe sites/pinterest/youtube that has recipes for almost anything you desire. Over the past several months we spent many hours sorting through and testing several to find the ones that work for our food choices/meals we enjoy/needed substitutes for. HTH Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Believe it or not, there are some cardiologists out ther who recommend the keto plan.

I would say ‘cardiologists’ or ‘doctors’ in quotes.

No reputable medical professional would think eating

65-75-80% fat on a daily basis is a good idea,

let alone a cardiologist. 

Respected Contributor

If you go to a “cardiologist” or a “doctor” that’s just in quotes, is the copay cheaper? Is that a specific degree program they completed, the “quotes” MD?  Hahahahahahahaha

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I would say ‘cardiologists’ or ‘doctors’ in quotes.

No reputable medical professional would think eating

65-75-80% fat on a daily basis is a good idea,

let alone a cardiologist. 

Why must you always sit on your high horse and be such a know-it-all?  Believe me, no one is impressed and it’s gotten VERY old.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch : Thank you! Southern Bee