Respected Contributor

I just saw this on yahoo:

One of the largest American food distributors has recalled more than 700pounds of raw beef and pork products due to possible blood contamination, theU

One of the largest American food distributors has recalled more than 700 pounds of raw beef and pork products due to possible blood contamination, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced on Saturday.

US Foods' Alabama facility has recalled nearly 712 pounds of products that were produced on July 18. FSIS said the company learned that an employee may have cut himself during production.

"There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products," FSIS said in its release. "Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider."

The recalled products have the establishment number "EST. 21103" on the inside of the USDA mark of inspection and were shipped to restaurants in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and Tennessee.

"FSIS is concerned that some product may be in restaurant refrigerators or freezers," the agency said. "Restaurants who have purchased these products are urged not to serve them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase."

See a full list of the recently recalled items.

Honored Contributor

No surprises here.

Respected Contributor

The only surprise is that it is not lettuce again.

Honored Contributor

Seems most are cuts of beef (which we do not eat) and a pork loin chops which we just had on the grill last week. I'm in Ohio so I've no idea if this state was sent any of these beef or pork products.

I sincerely hope we did not end up eating bad pork but I will say my chops did get cooked on the grill to proper temp - and they were darn delicious too. We're still alive, and hopefully will stay that way and not become ill.

Did not hear any of this on local news. Do not know again if this state has or had any of these products.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

The only surprise is that it is not lettuce again.

Or spinach!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Here we go again!! Oversight over our food sources is practically non existent.People can get quite sick & even die but nobody cares.

I’ve had both Salmonella & E Coli. I suffered miserably!! It’s gotten to the point where I’m afraid to eat.

Respected Contributor

Re: ANOTHER RAW MEAT RECALL

[ Edited ]

The best up-to-date source of food recall information can be found here.

https://www.recalls.gov/FOOD.HTML

You can sign up on that site to receive routine emails about the latest recalls, but I found that the emails became a little burdensome and not always of interest after a while.

A spreadsheet showing details about the recalled  cuts of meat sent to restaurants  in Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia and Mississippi  is available by clicking a link on that site.

I'm always a little amazed that people do not know how much information about medical  research,  heatlh, food safety, etc. is available on federal government websites.

The work of federal agencies is your tax dollars at work.  I'd always look there if I wanted to know something about key issues.  Much info you see in the news media comes from these agencies anyway.

(Maybe I just know this because I worked  for a federal regulatory agency for many years before switching careers, and my DH still does, so I'm not blaming anyone for forgetting where their tax dollars go).

Honored Contributor

So an employee MAY have cut himself during meat production and could have contaminated 700 pounds of beef and pork and purchasers are supposed to throw it out or return it?

Does this employee who may have cut himself have any diseases,that can be spread by bodily fluids?

Unless there is a public safety issue here, I can't see any restaurant thowing out meat that they just purchased or taking the time to look for it in their freezer.  It's not gonna happen. If the meat is not going to make restaurants patrons sick, the recall is going to be ignored.

Sure it sounds gross and no one including me wants to consume human blood, but it is almost a non-issue unless the employee has some sort of disease.

Frequent Contributor

Why are there so many of these recalls nowdays? I dont understand what is happening. Is anything safe anymore?!  I have not bought romaine or spinach for months. I miss them both Woman Frustrated   Eggs I had a few months ago were in a recall, I put them in the trash. Tired of having to wonder if the food we buy is safe!

Respected Contributor

Re: ANOTHER RAW MEAT RECALL

[ Edited ]

The internet and the speed of news flow  these days is probably why we think our food is more often tainted than before.

In fact, food-quality oversight might be better than before, due to  better testing technology and data-collection advances.

What we didn't know "way back when" didn't hurt us, and we didn't know any better.