Esteemed Contributor
I have been taking these for awhile. I recently quit because it gave me diahreaha and stomach upset. I will talk to the doctor on my next visit to see if I need to change what I am taking. Has anyone had this happen and did you do anything to help with the loose stool and stomach upset.
Trusted Contributor

In my last Iron panel, my Ferritin was low. So I started taking these:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Desiccated-Liver-Undefatted-Argentine/dp/B00J47LEMS/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&i...

Not had any gastric problems at all.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:
I have been taking these for awhile. I recently quit because it gave mediahreaha and stomach upset. I will talk to the doctor on my next visit to see if I need to change what I am taking. Has anyone had this happen and did you do anything to help with the loose stool and stomach upset.

How long have you been taking 'iron supplements'?

I am assuming this is a doctor's prescription being carefully monitored? Also, do you take with a meal;also: the dosage per day?

Honored Contributor

Re: Iron supplements

[ Edited ]

My first thoughts are that iron is very binding, and tends to make people constipated.  Based on the fact you have taken iron for several months, and are having these issues, I would suggest seeing the doctor sooner, rather than later, and having blood work done to see what is going on.  Is your iron level too high, and the diarrhea and stomach upset your bodies way of letting you know it cannot tolerate more iron?  I became anemic after my knee replacement surgery, but only took iron supplements for a very short time before my levels were normal again.  As a frequent blood and platelet donor, I sustain my high iron level, per my doctors instruction, by taking iron supplements twice a week.  Too much iron is hard for the body to process.  Stop taking the iron and see if your issues improve.  

Esteemed Contributor
I am 100 percent sure it was the iron pills. I haven't had any issues since I quit taking them a couple of weeks ago.

I will check those ones out on Amazon. I just went to the doctor in June I believe and don't have to go back until November. I had been taking them with my breakfast. I also take a probiotic. This is also a common symptom of iron supplements. I wonder if they are to strong as I don't weigh 100 pounds.
Esteemed Contributor
I might start them again and only take them a few days a week. I have a autoimmune disorder which causes inflammation which causes anemia.
Honored Contributor

Re: Iron supplements

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday I've been taking iron supplements for decades and I've never had any problems with them, but I'm the exception and nor the rule. A lot of people have trouble with them including the symptoms that you've mentioned. 

Since 2007, I've been taking Procaps Labs (Andrew Lessman's supplements) and they are hands down the most effective iron supplement that I've ever taken. Nothing else even came close. 

Periodically I run iron deficiencies. that's just the way it is. When I've been sluggish for 4-5 days and nothing else seems to work, I know it's time to take an iron supplement. Before the Procaps iron, I would have to take the iron supplements for a week or two to get back to normal. With Procaps iron I'm back to my energetic self in two to three days. Clearly the Procaps iron supplements are more bioavailable. 

This is really important because iron is one of those supplements that you don't want your body to be storing extra amounts of in your fat cells because too much iron can be toxic... so you don't want to take any more iron that you need. 

You can check the reviews on the HSN website. People seem to do really well with his iron and have fewer or no side effects from it. His iron supplements are powdered iron in capsules, rather than rock hard tablets. Becasue of this, they dissolve in your stomach much more easily as opposed to sitting in your stomach like a rock.

The Procaps iron supplements are reasonable priced. If you wait a few weeks, Andrew will be back on HSN with the October TS values. If you order the Procaps iron at that time, then you'll also get free shipping. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I tried about every kind on the market. I simply could not tolerate them. Be careful. I took them for awhile before that happened and got a serious case of gastritis and got my gut flora all messed up. It took about 6 months to get it straightened out.

I had an infusion. Basically my doc said I can't absorb it so don't bother, it's just gonna make you sick. 

Obviously if if this has just started you might try another kind, but I wouldn't keep trying to force the issue. I'd call the doctor. 

Esteemed Contributor
Thanks for that. I will check them out. Even though what I was taking helped my anemia I just can't deal with that everyday.
Esteemed Contributor
I just checked out the Andrew lessman ones. I might try those. They are cheaper then the ones you have to get at the pharmacy counter. Matter of fact a lot cheaper.