Esteemed Contributor

Re: Invisible bugs?

[ Edited ]

Never heard of noseeums until this summer. My neighbor is covered with welts on her legs from their bites. She actually went to her PCP; they are that painful and the itching is miserable. She can't work in her flower beds or sit on either her front porch or my patio. Yet, I have nothing. Strangest thing either of us have ever seen.

I'm so sorry others are plagued with those bugs, as well. Must be from the wicked winter with so much moisture? 

ETA: We do not have cushions on our furnature outside. Her rockers are wooden rockers. My patio furniture is wrought iron and the cushions are always kept inside the family room. In fact, we seldom bother to bring cushions out! The chairs are fine without cushions.

Pretty sure the noseeums have been drawn to Nebraska due to the flooding this year. And, my neighbor does enjoy opening her windows for fresh air. If they are tiny enough to fly through screens they are probably also getting into her home.

I don't open my windows at all due to allergies, RA, Lupus and now my painful back. Guess those have kept me fortunate this summer!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Re: Invisible bugs?

[ Edited ]

That’s awful that you can’t enjoy your sofa. I think biting bugs have been way worse this year. We had a damp spring, maybe that’s why . DH comes home from golf complaining about how bad it is on the golf course.

Maybe try spritzing the fabric with water with a few drops of cedar and peppermint oil mixed in and shaken well.It acts as a natural repellent.

I wouldn’t use diatomaceous earth, it can be very irritating to skin and eyes and breathing it is not good either.

Esteemed Contributor

@Azcowgirl  wrote

I wouldn’t use diatomaceous earth, it can be very irritating to skin and eyes and breathing it is not good either.

It will get in eyes and cause a real problem.  So small that you don't realize it is on your hands.

Real problem for animals.

P.S.  I always see really tiny spiders this time of year.  They do that to me!

Honored Contributor

@jlkz Definitely a new occurrence. Hmmm........the only thing different is the weird weather that abounds everywhere, and a fern I got from Kroger. It's unbelieveably large fronded! Doesn't look real. I'm just wondering where they came from. I think you may be onto something. It's outta here!!!!! I know it's too late but heck, you have to start somewhere. I will use google again from suggestions here.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

@D Kay wrote:

Why not place the cushions in the direct sun for a few hours or replace them altogether?   There are bugs that are called " no seeums" .   You can not see them but can feel them biting.  Don't know if that is what you are describing since you don't feel the bite.

That's the first thing we did. Beat them with a carpet beater and set them out in the sun all day. (they probably liked it, lol)

Respected Contributor

The noseeums in South Carolina actually are visible. Smaller than fruit fly but you can see them...and feel when they bite. They like the scalp especially. If you cannot see anything at the time you first feel the bite, I would not suspect noseeums. Also they come in small swarms, when weather is hot, humid and breezeless..

Honored Contributor

Regardless of the time of day, if I want to sit on my front porch, I light my citronella bucket candles.   It’s the only way I can enjoy my porch and not be eaten alive by all the biters and blood suckers.