Super Contributor

One of my nipples has become inverted.  Don't know why, or how long this happened.  I didn't think it was anything to be concerned about, but upon googling it, they say it can be a sign of breast cancer.  I just had a 3-D mammogram last week, and it came up fine.

Anyone have this?  I am almost 60, don't know how common this is.  And it is not painful, or am I having any symptons.

Super Contributor

Re: Inverted nipple - question

@qvc chick I would think that if you just had a mammogram that you are probably fine. Have you checked with your doctor? My mom had an inverted nipple with a large lump. For her it was breast cancer. She was 85 at the time.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chickYou need to go to the doctor immediately!!     I too had a mammogram that came out "fine" and ended up with a 3cm tumor that did not show up on it!!  And yes, it was breast cancer!     You cannot soley rely on them!!    Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

I had this when I had my Breast cancer so I advise you call your doctor and ask. My BC was a pretty large lump though that showed up clearly on mammogram so yours is probably fine.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick Just to ease your own mind I would put a call into your doctor and explain it to him/her and get their opinion, it is probably nothing since your mammogram came back fine, but I do think it is something they need to be aware of.

Respected Contributor

No to alarm you but you need an ultrasound, my BC did not show up on a mammogram. Please ask for one. Could save your life.

Super Contributor

I developed this at least 5 years ago. 

Discussed it with the dr at the time, because I knew that it is a symptom of breast cancer. Each year my mammo (3D) is good.

So, I'm aware, but not too worried at this time. 

Respected Contributor

My mom had that...and it turned out to be cancer. Please call your doctor, otherwise you'll just worry about it. Hoping it's nothing!

Honored Contributor

You definitely need to have an ultrasound or an MRI depending on whether your breasts are dense or not.  Mammograms don't always show cancer, especially in the beginning stages.  Don't let your doctor tell you that you're fine since it didn't show up on your mammogram.  Insist on the next step.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Any obvious change should be reported to your gynecologist or if you see a breast surgeon, to him/her.  It may be innocuous but may not be but don't panic, just see your doctor and let him/her guide you.