Respected Contributor

I have a tooth that needed to be extracted due to internal resorption, it had fused to the bone. I am going the implant route since it was a large molar, a bridge didn't work for this situation. Will have the titanium screw set in 2 months if the extraction heals as planned. Then the actual "tooth" in April 2017.

Everything has gone easily so far. Have any of you had this procedure for an internal resorption situation?

Anything else I should be aware of?

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

My question would be why not put the implant in at the time the tooth is extracted, you will heal once and not twice. I had several implants done at a local hospital clinic and this is the way it was done

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox

The surgeon stated he felt the results would be better for me if I waited. The tooth had fused to the bone so he wanted the bone to heal well too. Fortunately, there is enough bone so I didn't need a bone graft

Respected Contributor

@Jacie, FWIW, I had resorption in my right FRONT tooth. This was back in 2012, I believe. Anyway, I had the tooth removed, bone graft, and screw set done on same day...no pain, never took a pain pill. I had to wear a flipper tooth for cosmetic reasons, obviously, and I believe I got my permanent tooth about four months or so later. The flipper tooth was a pain in the butt because I could not eat with it in my mouth. Consequently, there was no dining out for gap tooth me. Ha! My implant tooth is okay...it is much thicker in depth then the other front tooth. I will always feel it, but got used to it, I guess. Also, they say it will feel just like your real tooth, but no way. It feels like a prosthetic, dead tooth, if that makes any sense. One of the big things I was worried about with it being my front tooth was the color match, but that could not have been any better...amazing.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience! I had never heard of the resorption thing until I got it, and don't know anyone who has had it. Nice to heard there wasn't pain, so far I have not had any either! Phew!

I was worried about color too! But sounds like that may not be an issue. Chewing on one side only now for awhile. Sounds like your results are quite nice! Hoping for the same! Again, thanks!

Respected Contributor

I've never heard of this.  How was this condition discovered?  X-ray?  Symptoms? 

Respected Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

I've never heard of this.  How was this condition discovered?  X-ray?  Symptoms? 

@MomCat, mine was seen on x-ray. And just to add to my story, after the resorption was discovered, I had a couple of procedures done to try and save my front tooth...a root canal, and then another much more involved some kind of root canal. I hung onto my tooth for probably 12+ years or more. My dentist continued to warn me that one day my tooth just might break off. But I kept putting it off as it was so hard for me to have it pulled and go with the implant. Ultimately, it got more and more sensitive and then they told me that waiting longer could hinder the success of the implant. I finally scheduled the procedure. I so remember that morning when they called me back it was all I could do not to bolt out the front door and yell back to them, "Never mind!" Ha!       

Respected Contributor

@MomCat

The condition is not rare, but uncommon and totally random. There is nothing one can do to prevent it.

Mine was diagnosed when I was going to have a 32 year old crown replaced.  It was then explained to me that it was if my immune system was no longer recognizing the tooth as mine. The body starts to absorb it. In my case, when this tooth was taken out,  it had fused to my jawbone, had no roots or nerves. Truly gone.

I had an option for a bridge, but that entailed removing another, perfectly healthy tooth. That made no sense to me. And, it was a large molar so and implant made more sense for the amount of use it would have in chewing.

I felt lucky to have enough bone to support the implant without having to do a bone graft.

Respected Contributor

Thanks guys.  Very interesting.  Always something, isn't it??  Ugh.