Esteemed Contributor

If you have any meat tenderizer make a paste of it mixed with water or vinegar, apply it and let it stay there for about 20 minutes then rinse off. If you have no meat tenderizer just put the vinegar on it, sometimes that by itself gives relief.

Honored Contributor

Re: Insect Bite Relief

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette wrote:

When I had a bite that concerned me, I went to one of the local "urgent care" clinics.  They prescribed a topical ointment which did the trick.  Are you anywhere near one of those clinics?

I did similar with an allergic rash. My doctor prescribed a cortisone cream of a higher percentage than can be bought OTC, and it did work while the OTC wasn't strong enough.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

After Bite pen works pretty good for me.

Yes. That's worth a try.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

I got bit by something yesterday while pulling weeds in my yard.  It's right between my thumb & index finger.   The hand itches and is slightly swollen in that area.

I've used ice, benedryl lotion, vineager, but it's still swollen.    Gosh, never been bit on the hand before.  Could have been ants or something else.

Just curious if anyone has any good remedies to try.

Hi Frosted Cake,

Odd as it sounds, I have use preparation h on bug bites and it worked really well (I did double check to make sure it was ok to use for that before I tried it).  I know what you mean about weeds, they are like peanuts, you can't stop with one and it seems that for every one weed you pull, ten more suddenly appear.  Lots of good suggestions, hopefully you will find some relief.

tkins

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm a big fan of calendula oil on anything that's itchy and red.  Works immediately on me.

That said, if it gets worse or doesn't go away, you really should go to a dermatologist and have it looked at. 

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

I got bit by something yesterday while pulling weeds in my yard.  It's right between my thumb & index finger.   The hand itches and is slightly swollen in that area.

I've used ice, benedryl lotion, vineager, but it's still swollen.    Gosh, never been bit on the hand before.  Could have been ants or something else.

Just curious if anyone has any good remedies to try.

Oh gees .... I got an insect bite about 10 years ago that drove me insane!!      I went to the drug store twice, trying to find something to give me relief.  I tried the usual stuff.  

Fifteen dollars and 4 remedies later I tried a paste of baking soda and water .... the itching stopped almost immediately.    whew!

Trusted Contributor

AFTER BITE, for sure!!!!!!!!!!!

QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

Well, speaking for myself, as someone who does benefits for a company of 100,000 employees, I will tell you that more than one bug bite has sent someone to the hospital with a life-threatening reaction.

And one person was hospitalized, operated on twice and in rehab for 6 months after a spider bite that he ignored until it took over his leg.

Insect bites can be serious and lead to complications.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor