Valued Contributor

I got bit by something yesterday while pulling weeds in my yard.  It's right between my thumb & index finger.   The hand itches and is slightly swollen in that area.

I've used ice, benedryl lotion, vineager, but it's still swollen.    Gosh, never been bit on the hand before.  Could have been ants or something else.

Just curious if anyone has any good remedies to try.

Honored Contributor

Did you call the doctor?  It usually takes two days for treatment to really get in your system.  The benedryl should have caused a slight change by this morning.  I'd take oral benedryl it does a more through job.

Valued Contributor

Can't take it orally unfortunately, I can't take anything that is like a antihistamine or of that nature.

Honored Contributor

When I had a bite that concerned me, I went to one of the local "urgent care" clinics.  They prescribed a topical ointment which did the trick.  Are you anywhere near one of those clinics?

Valued Contributor

No, unfortunately not.   I also don't have the best insurance at this time. So, it would be expensive.

I put some Arnica ointment on it and will see if that helps.   I can use my hand and all, but it's swelled a bit.

I know I had ant bites on my ankles once and they took days to finally not be inflamed. 

Honored Contributor

I use any generic first aid triple action antiseptic spray- I think the brand name is bacitrin, but any are good.And then I put polysporin on it with a bandaidSmiley Happy

The worst bite I ever had was taken care of with a good spray of this-only once did I have to spray next day.

But if this doesn't do the trick I would head to the dr or urgent care.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

It's probably an allergic reaction to a bite or even your weeds. You should wear gloves from now on, yes, I know they don't feel so comfortable

Since you can't take an antihistamine like Benedry internally, and since you won't go see a doctor, I suggest you ice it continually until the swelling goes down. 

I use tea tree oil to stop the itching of mosquito bites, but people have reactions to it. It's the only thing that works on my mosquito bites--I'm allergic to the mosquito protein that is an anticoagulant (keeps the blood flowing so they can drink their fill.) 

Valued Contributor

Good idea about the gloves!   I just saw the darn weeds and had to pull them and it got out of hand, I couldn't stop!

Now you have to be so cautious about bug bites.   

Honored Contributor

@Campion

ick-thats pretty creepy-I never knew that!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

After Bite pen works pretty good for me.